Rally Sweden 2015

Post updates/results of SAABs in racing
Crazyswede
Team Turbo Troll Crew
Nickname: Mongo
Number of Saabs currently owned: 97

Re: Rally Sweden 2015

Postby Crazyswede » Tue Mar 13, 2018 5:34 pm

Some in car that shows just how crazy fast a stage can be with a good driver, spiked tires, and a purpose built car

https://youtu.be/1Q4WJy0pRCw
I am the 73%

Geoff
Team Turbo Troll Crew
Nickname: Geoff
Number of Saabs currently owned: 6

Postby Geoff » Thu Mar 15, 2018 12:12 pm

Watching the Historic video after the WRC video isn't the best idea. It's amazing how slow a Quattro looks by comparison! I'm sure most of the historic drivers are taking less chances though.

Looks like a great time, warm weather and some snow for a change!

We had two weeks of this earlier in the winter:
Chilly.jpg

I stopped on the way to work yesterday to take this picture:
14MarchCommute.jpg

Again, New Hampshire is a bit like Sweden. :sweden:

Birdie, do you have this shirt yet?
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Saab-99-Turbo-1980-RAC-Rally-Soft-Cotton-T-Shirt-WRC/162873898963?hash=item25ec0a77d3:m:mXydhtp9ZlqDcUaAkpsSD1g
The kind of dirty that doesn't wash off :eyebrows:

Crazyswede
Team Turbo Troll Crew

Postby Crazyswede » Thu Mar 15, 2018 11:16 pm

This was last snow storm in Vermont.
Attachments
95113746-F33C-4392-8CED-47A3359C28E6.jpeg
I am the 73%

BIRDIEMANGO
Nickname: BIRDIE
Number of Saabs currently owned: 8

Postby BIRDIEMANGO » Fri Mar 16, 2018 1:28 am

HMMM, AT THIS YEAR'S 'HISTORIC RALLY' LAUNCH IN THE 'UK' IN JANUARY 'ANOTHER' CLARION 99 TURBO,WAS PHOTOGRAPHED..... :yay: ,PICTURED BELOW.

HERE IS SOME INFORMATION PUBLISHED ABOUT IT....

Ex-Works Saab 99 Turbo at the HRCR Open Day
The car was built by brothers Ole and Bengt Dahl who worked at the Saab Competition Department from the 70’s through to its closure in 1980. In addition to building cars for the factory they also competed as part of the works rally team.This car was originally built as a non-turbo but after Sig Blomqvist won the Swedish Rally it was converted to turbo spec and driven by Kalle Grundle on the 1980 RAC Rally as part of a 3 car works team. After all 3 cars failed to finish, Saab closed down the Competition Department and this car was exported to the USA where it competed on a few events but eventually found its way back to Sweden from where its current owner and HRCR member Kevin Jones bought it and has very kindly offered to bring it to the HRCR Open Day. Thanks to the Saab Owners Club GBs and the Saab Museum Sweden for providing details of the history of the car.
For more information e-mail the HRCR at admin@hrcr.co.uk or visit http://www.hrcr.co.uk
Contact the British Motor Museum at http://www.britishmotormuseum.co.uk

Image may contain: car and outdoor
Image may contain: car and outdoor
LikeComment
Top comments
Göran Fredriksson, Göran Danielsson, Steve McCoy and 36 others like this.
2 shares
Comments
åke Svantesson
åke Svantesson Complete wrong history of that car , If its Gkm 628 , it was a 73 streetcar , that was destroyed in 1980 , it was going to a scrapyard in Arboga sweden, Bengt bought the identity and put it in a bodyshell he bought from competition department , that car was lived to 1990 , then i bought the identity and the bodyshell went to norway , the car that stands at the fair was built up in Säffle sweden , no factory car at all , but the builder had connection to the factory department , and bought parts , it was going to usa and stand at sweden motors there , then imported to sweden again and the owner bought gkm 628 identity, , kalle grundels car was a finnish build car , driven first by Antero laine , stig drove it then kalle , that car was sold out after a crash , ,, so this car has no provinence from saab factory team at all
4 · 16 hrs · Edited
Remove
Peter Bäckström
Peter Bäckström This is sadly completely wrong.
2 · 16 hrs

AND SOME MORE 'CLARION' REPLICAS.....SEEM'S ? I MAY HAVE STARTED SOMETHING... :thumbsup:

https://www.garaget.org/?car=380550&image=3599700

http://picssr.com/photos/zappadong/inte ... 962923@N08

GEOFF,REGARDS THE T-SHIRT...... :huh:
AROUND 9 YEARS BACK,A YOUNG ENTHUSIASTIC 'UNDERSTUDY',CAME TO SEE ME,JUST AFTER I HAD BUILT THE 'CLARION REPLICA',AND ASKED ME IF HE COULD PHOTOGRAPH IT,FROM ALL ANGLES...?

I THINK HE WAS STUDYING AT UNIVERSITY,TO DO COMPUTER GAME PROGRAMMING? ANYHOW,HE 'DIGESTED' ALL THE IMAGES....AND CAME UP,WITH THESE....
http://www.uksaabs.co.uk/UKS/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=44042

SOME NINE YEARS LATER,HE 'SAW' THE LIGHT,DECIDING THAT LIFE BEHIND A DESK,WAS NOT FOR HIM.....AND NOW,IS INVOLVED IN KEEPING 'OLD STEAM' LOCOMOTIVES RUNNING...... :thumbsup:

OK,GEOFF AND CRAZYSWEDE, SO CAN I ASK? WHO IS RESPONSIBLE FOR CLEARING/SNOW PLOUGHING THE ROADS,IN BOTH YOUR PHOTOS?

IS IT LOCAL AUTHORITIES,FARMERS,VOLUNTEERS...? AND DO THEY RESPOND FAIRLY QUICKLY...?

WE GOT TO FOLLOW 'OLA STROMBERGS' 99 ON THE TRAILER,MOST OF THE WAY BACK TO OUR ACCOMODATION,ON THE 'RALLY'......AS YOU CAN SEE,THE ROADS ARE KEPT PRETTY CLEAR,UNTIL YOU GET TO MORE REMOTE AREAS,IN SWEDEN....
Attachments
26239272_772575676274112_2065048918149205888_n.jpg
DSCF1193.JPG
DSCF1176.JPG
CARLSSON TO BLOMQVIST......

''WHAT IS THIS TERRIBLE THING YOU HAVE TAUGHT YOURSELF,YOU MUST UNLEARN IT.....''

LEFT FOOT BRAKING

Geoff
Team Turbo Troll Crew
Nickname: Geoff
Number of Saabs currently owned: 6

Postby Geoff » Fri Mar 16, 2018 2:31 pm

So according to what you posted above from Peter Bakstrom, that car in Clarion livery is this car
(presumably after some parts changes and paint) :
https://www.rally24.com/rally-cars-for-sale/99-turbo-32330.html

I got the chance to see it at one of our SAAB Owners Conventions (as shown in the above picture). Very cool, battery mounted under the windshield, gearbox cooler plumbed to the defroster. The previous owner said the original car was in a wreck and he had the bent shell at home.

BIRDIEMANGO wrote:OK,GEOFF AND CRAZYSWEDE, SO CAN I ASK? WHO IS RESPONSIBLE FOR CLEARING/SNOW PLOUGHING THE ROADS,IN BOTH YOUR PHOTOS?

IS IT LOCAL AUTHORITIES,FARMERS,VOLUNTEERS...? AND DO THEY RESPOND FAIRLY QUICKLY...?

In both pictures those are "town roads" - maintained by the town "highway" department. In my town, response is relatively slow - I'm routinely driving through 8"+ of unplowed road until I get to the more main road and then to the state route (maintained by the state highway department). Aside from driving down the town road (pictured above) I live on a private road where we basically have a "right of way" along the road and the neighbors and I need to pay for road maintenance (plowing, grading, filling, etc.) ourselves. We have a neighbor do the work. Total bill this winter will be over $1000. But the town gives us ~$150 break on our taxes because we live on a private road. :crazy:

From what I have experienced, Crazyswede's town is a little more efficient at plowing.
The kind of dirty that doesn't wash off :eyebrows:

BIRDIEMANGO

Postby BIRDIEMANGO » Sat Mar 17, 2018 1:35 am

IT COULD BE,THAT VERY CAR GEOFF.......?

I DON'T THINK ANYBODY WILL EVER KNOW,THAT 'EXACT' CAR....?

IT IS ONLY..... IN THE 'KNOWLEDGE',OF THE CAR 'BUILDER' HIMSELF....?

I SPOKE TO THE NEW 'OWNER' BY E-MAIL,AND HOPEFULLY AT SOME POINT,WE WILL GET TO SEE THE CAR COMPETING? OR AT LEAST IN THE 'FLESH'.....

NOT MUCH POINT IN HAVING ONE,UNLESS YOU ARE GONNA USE IT.... :thumbsup:
Attachments
car109_1.jpg
car109_3.jpg

''WHAT IS THIS TERRIBLE THING YOU HAVE TAUGHT YOURSELF,YOU MUST UNLEARN IT.....''

LEFT FOOT BRAKING

Crazyswede
Team Turbo Troll Crew

Postby Crazyswede » Sat Mar 17, 2018 8:15 pm

In my town there is a town truck that comes through reasonably early in the morning and plows the roads. I imagine they are up pretty early in the morning as there are quite a few km's of roads to plow in my town. My father clears his driveway with a front mounted snowblower on his Kubota. I also have a Kubota but I only have a bucket on the front but that still beats shoveling.
I am the 73%

BIRDIEMANGO

Postby BIRDIEMANGO » Sat Jan 11, 2020 4:24 am

OK,GUYS LAST YEAR 2019,WE COULDN'T MAKE THE RALLY SWEDEN :ranting: .
BUT THIS YEAR 2020,EVERYTHING IS BOOKED,READY TO GO!!

ALL WE NEED NOW THOUGH,IS SOME SNOW IN VARMLAND :dunno:

LEFT FOOT BRAKING

Return to “News and Events”