Sand Blast results

Post updates/results of SAABs in racing
Geoff
Team Turbo Troll Crew
Nickname: Geoff
Number of Saabs currently owned: 6

Postby Geoff » Thu Feb 22, 2007 1:03 pm

I just remembered an old rally story about a car with a bad clutch. The team dumped cola and sand into the clutch to get the friction back. So the next time your clutch goes and you want to make sure you've trashed your flywheel....

Luke
Site Admin

Postby Luke » Thu Feb 22, 2007 2:13 pm

Hmm, thats interesting, there was definatly no shortage of sand although we don't really carry cola around we did have some gatorade. I was trying to figure out a way to lock up the clutch mechanically with some safety wire or screwdrivers or something so we could at least drive out of the stage but I couldnt figure out anyway to do it. Anybody have any thoughts on a jerryrig to lockup the clutch?

Geoff
Team Turbo Troll Crew
Nickname: Geoff
Number of Saabs currently owned: 6

Postby Geoff » Thu Feb 22, 2007 3:29 pm

when I was using one of Jack Lawrence's 4 puck clutch discs one of the coil spings in the disc snapped. It popped out of the disc and became jammed somewhere so I couldn't use the clutch to shift (what a pain). I'm not sure where it was jammed but I'm thinking the only place it could have jammed was behind the fingers of the pressure plate, so I guess that dosen't help you too much. The only thing I can think of would be to pull the clutch out and weld some small washers to the pressure plate contact surface so that if you could get it back together you'd be putting more pressure on the disc. Not a quick and easy roadside fix though. Maybe depressing the clutch fingers and dropping a few washers between the fingers and hope they fall between the disc and the pressure plate. Did you try to get the car rolling without using the clutch? If there was constant pressure on the disc (instead of releasing pressure and then trying to gain enough friction back when engaing the clutch) you would have static friction (which takes a larger force to move as compared to dynamaic friction - the way a clutch normally operates) on the clutch components which might keep it from slipping.

Return to “News and Events”