Victory at Black River for Saabrally Team of Sorensen/Strait

Post updates/results of SAABs in racing
Luke
Site Admin

Victory at Black River for Saabrally Team of Sorensen/Strait

Postby Luke » Tue Sep 21, 2010 9:31 am

We went into the event with the definate goal of taking the 2wd victory, but it proved to be more difficult than expected. On the first two stages on saturday we had turbo hoses blow off mid-stage. The car is absolutely anemic like this and can barely make it up steep hills in 3rd gear. We did our best to carry speed where possible and did a good job of minimizing the amount of time we lost. We fixed the issue during transit with spare hose clamps and safety wire we had in the car (good things to carry) Then at service we noticed that an upper ball joint had started to develop a bit of play, we made plans to change it at the next service as a preventative measure. The loose one held out fine for the next 3 stages and when we returned the crew had everything prepared to swap the joint. We had 20 minutes to get the car in the air, swap the joint, check all fluids, top up fuel and have the car back on the ground at the checkout point. We were using a borrowed jack as ours had broken during the first service. The jack didnt lift quite as high and we struggled to get the car onto the jack stands, and lost valuable minutes. We had some issues finding a wrench to fit the big nut on the ball joint and then some issues with the cross bolts being slightly large for the bore in the ball joint. Jason and I struggled through and tried not to get in each others way and had the car back down on the ground in 21 minutes. We pulled through the control right as the minute turned to 22 and ended up with a 20 second penalty. Not bad, but not what we needed having lost serious time due to the turbo hose issues on the first two stages. We ended saturday 4 seconds back from the nearest 2WD competitor on stages times and with the penalty that meant 24 seconds needed to be made up on sunday.

Luke
Site Admin

Re: Victory at Black River for Saabrally Team of Sorensen/Strait

Postby Luke » Tue Sep 21, 2010 10:02 am

Not wanting to settle for 2nd place and with hopefully the little nagging issues from a recent motor installation behind us, we really turned up the wick on Sunday. Seth was really getting in the groove with the notes and the car was running beautifully. We swapped to a fresh set of tires and we were really flying! A few stages were canceled due to medical/radio and spectator issues and we started to get nervous that we wouldnt have the mileage we needed to regain the lead. Another turbo hose coming loose on a stage launch gave us further doubts and frustration. Then on Jayville we took back 17 seconds, with a 3rd overall fastest stage time. On the final stage "fullerville" we went into max attack mode and with another 3rd overall fastest time (only 9 secs back from the lead open class EVO) we clinched the win. A great hard earned finish.

Thanks to everyone that came out for the event. The services were short and hectic but everyone did a great job making sure the car left ready to rock.

Hopefully there will be some pictures available soon.

Crazyswede
Team Turbo Troll Crew
Nickname: Mongo
Number of Saabs currently owned: 97

Postby Crazyswede » Tue Sep 21, 2010 12:06 pm

I am the 73%

Luke
Site Admin

Postby Luke » Tue Sep 21, 2010 1:26 pm

We need to get those water crossing pictures!

Crazyswede
Team Turbo Troll Crew

Postby Crazyswede » Tue Sep 21, 2010 2:03 pm

Luke wrote:We need to get those water crossing pictures!

I know, Steve hasn't loaded anything onto his website yet:

http://stevekureyphotography.ifp3.com/site/
I am the 73%

Crazyswede
Team Turbo Troll Crew

Postby Crazyswede » Wed Sep 22, 2010 5:45 am

I am the 73%

max
Site Admin
Number of Saabs currently owned: 0

Postby max » Sat Sep 25, 2010 8:34 am

Not the most exciting video, but the only one I took.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LoCKwm0M ... ata_player

Luke
Site Admin

Postby Luke » Fri Oct 01, 2010 2:34 pm

A sweet photo I found, I just really like the car positioning going into the corner and the way the road swoops into the foreground.

Luke
Site Admin

Postby Luke » Fri Oct 01, 2010 2:41 pm

On the exit of the corner, Seth pushed the rearwheel drive actuation footswitch just for fun.

Crazyswede
Team Turbo Troll Crew

Postby Crazyswede » Fri Oct 01, 2010 4:39 pm

Luke wrote:On the exit of the corner, Seth pushed the rearwheel drive actuation footswitch just for fun.

I actually farted.

The previous photo is a good one in that it gives a good sense of how sideways that car likes to be. One of the other Co-drivers had thought the car was RWD. I wish Steve Kurey would post his photos...her had some very good head on water splash photos that he showed me quickly at service...but there has been no word from him since the event.
I am the 73%

Return to “News and Events”