Fall SAAB festival in Albany area

Post updates/results of SAABs in racing
Luke
Site Admin

Fall SAAB festival in Albany area

Postby Luke » Thu Sep 30, 2010 3:11 pm

I heard there is some sort of gathering going on in upstate NY at the end of october. Anybody got any details? I don't typically like hanging out with SAAB people (too many people just like me in one place can't be a good thing) but if enough other weirdos are going I guess I should succumb to the gravitational pull.

SwedeSport
Number of Saabs currently owned: 5

Re: Fall SAAB festival in Albany area

Postby SwedeSport » Thu Sep 30, 2010 3:18 pm

Maybe the new Saabtoberfest? I liked the Saab tour events. You're right, Saab people are a bunch of knuckleheads.
Swedesport Motors, Apparel and Accessories for SAAB Junkies.
Http://Facebook.com/swedesportmotors
Swedesportmotors@gmail.com

Jordan
Site Admin
Number of Saabs currently owned: 6

Postby Jordan » Thu Sep 30, 2010 4:21 pm

airsweden
Number of Saabs currently owned: 0

Postby airsweden » Thu Sep 30, 2010 5:41 pm

Might be kinda lame... parking lot on Central Ave Albany.

I have an idea for a SAAB knucklehead rendezvou though. How about everybody who can make it does the NER SCCA Covered Bridge Rally-X in Nov. Jordan came up for it last year and was polite enough to not beat me in my own car 2 days in a row... just one. I'm usually within an hour of the venue and could likely host a couch crasher or 2. I think camping at the event is almost always allowed too. Rally-X on its own is usually not all that exciting but could be an excuse for everybody to get together for some low cost, low stress, healthy competition that could sorta double as a bit of a car show for us weirdos. Seems like a good place for Jordan to get his new car dirty for the first time.
99 problems but a SAAB ain't 1

paulh
Number of Saabs currently owned: 2

Postby paulh » Thu Sep 30, 2010 7:56 pm

We might head up there, but the new house is keeping us busy. Its definitely not the new saabtoberfest though. We might be having that sorta thing the weekend of oct 9th, still have to work out a route though, don't know the roads around Northern Reading as much as I'd like to...

Paul

Jordan
Site Admin

Postby Jordan » Thu Sep 30, 2010 8:38 pm

airsweden wrote:Might be kinda lame... parking lot on Central Ave Albany.

I have an idea for a SAAB knucklehead rendezvou though. How about everybody who can make it does the NER SCCA Covered Bridge Rally-X in Nov. Jordan came up for it last year and was polite enough to not beat me in my own car 2 days in a row... just one. I'm usually within an hour of the venue and could likely host a couch crasher or 2. I think camping at the event is almost always allowed too. Rally-X on its own is usually not all that exciting but could be an excuse for everybody to get together for some low cost, low stress, healthy competition that could sorta double as a bit of a car show for us weirdos. Seems like a good place for Jordan to get his new car dirty for the first time.

How awesome would it be to have the north east SAAB mob (MAAB?) take over an event?

SwedeSport

Postby SwedeSport » Thu Sep 30, 2010 8:57 pm

I might be into that. Find an event on Saturday, and another on Sunday, and get a gang of Saab junkies to do a weekend tour and campout.

A few saabers are getting together this weekend at grandview speedway in boyertown pa for a rallyx this Sunday.
See Philly scca website for details.

paulh

Postby paulh » Fri Oct 01, 2010 12:36 am

SwedeSport wrote:I might be into that. Find an event on Saturday, and another on Sunday, and get a gang of Saab junkies to do a weekend tour and campout.

A few saabers are getting together this weekend at grandview speedway in boyertown pa for a rallyx this Sunday.
See Philly scca website for details.

Damn too bad, theres a good auction in reading on sunday...maybe there will be a change of plans...would have to take the audi 90 though, the 900 still needs an inspection.

Paul

Jordan
Site Admin

Postby Jordan » Fri Oct 01, 2010 7:41 am

airsweden wrote:Might be kinda lame... parking lot on Central Ave Albany.

I looked on the NER website and didn't see the Covered Bridge Event listed. But it looks like the schedule is only up through October. It was a lot of fun last year even though I am terrible on dirt. We must of gotten at least 8 runs each and there was no waiting around.

airsweden

Postby airsweden » Fri Oct 01, 2010 9:10 am

Jordan wrote:
I looked on the NER website and didn't see the Covered Bridge Event listed. But it looks like the schedule is only up through October. It was a lot of fun last year even though I am terrible on dirt. We must of gotten at least 8 runs each and there was no waiting around.

Yeah, I don't think they know where and when the event will be held yet. I'm sure it will be somewhere in southern or central VT sometime in Nov. though. Hopefully they'll figure it out soon and we can swamp pre-registration with SAABs. With 2 drivers in each car, we might have a MAAB.

Geoff
Team Turbo Troll Crew
Nickname: Geoff

Postby Geoff » Fri Oct 01, 2010 11:21 am

Kelly and I did the Covered Bridge road rally last year. It takes place the day before the rallyX. Its a fun event and we won our class last year, it was Kelly's first time driving too. If some SAAB loonies wanted to do the rallyX on Sunday, I'd recommend doing the rally on Saturday. Unfortunately Kelly scheduled a (late) Halloween party at our house that Saturday night so we wont make the road rally. But I'd like to get up early and head to the rallyX on Sunday morning.

The road rally is being held out of Stratton Mountain on Nov 5th, typically the rallyX is at the same mountain as the road rally is based out of, the next day. Stratton is only about a half hour from Chez Snakes Malone.
The kind of dirty that doesn't wash off :eyebrows:

SwedeSport

Postby SwedeSport » Wed Oct 06, 2010 9:38 pm

What are the entry fees on both events? Its a 6.5 hour trip for me. And money is tight. Might consider coming up there and taking a stab at it. If I can budget the weekend.

KPAero
Nickname: Pascal

Postby KPAero » Wed Oct 06, 2010 10:42 pm

If I remember correctly Rally-x entries for pre-registration is usually $45, sometimes a bit more when they include food. The entry for the TSD is $55. If your not an SCCA member then a $15 weekend membership is needed as well. Not sure if that fee would be charged once if you did both events since they are during one weekend though.

I don't really have a good rallyx car at the moment, but depending on where it is Id be interested in going up and hanging out. It would be nice to meet some new people, and VT makes for a nice drive this time of year.

airsweden

Postby airsweden » Thu Oct 07, 2010 8:58 am

All you need for the road rally is a safe, street legal car and co-driver. Its a non-speed thing on open roads. You drive all over the place with directions provided right before the event starts. There are checkpoints along the way, some you know about and some you don't. Go through them too early and you get penalty points, go through them to late you get penalty points. Its not really my cup of tea. I drive all over southern VT's backroads everyday in my 900 for work.... that takes a little fun out of it. I'll do the Rally-X if I have the weekend off and I'm pretty sure I will. I'm always willing to share my car plus there's always a little extra space here for transients, hobos and SAAB nerds.

SwedeSport

Postby SwedeSport » Thu Oct 07, 2010 9:09 am

Non speed? So I would have to drive slower than I do normally? Sounds like more technical challenge than fun.

I'd like too try one, maybe I can make this happen.

Being a newbie, it would probably benefit me to have a navigator with some experience?

Return to “News and Events”