Covered Bridge Rally-X

Post updates/results of SAABs in racing
airsweden
Number of Saabs currently owned: 0

Re: Covered Bridge Rally-X

Postby airsweden » Thu Oct 21, 2010 5:51 pm

Looks like Josh Menke of "Adopted by Jets" fame is gonna bring his stock 96 up for one last hoorah before the wankle transplant and other related LeMons preps. Does anybody have any tall skinny snows for the chap to run. His car is currently sporting Baldini racing slicks, all I could dig up around here are a couple 185/65 nordman 10's which are very nice but maybe too big. Some meaty 165 or 175 would be cool. We have the means to do some tire swapping here Fri nite or Sat.
99 problems but a SAAB ain't 1

SwedeSport
Number of Saabs currently owned: 5

Postby SwedeSport » Thu Oct 21, 2010 6:29 pm

1st Annual
Saab Stomp and Rally-X
At Stratton Mountain

We need a cheesy tagline about stomping subaru's.

Could this be a good annual event? ?
Swedesport Motors, Apparel and Accessories for SAAB Junkies.
Http://Facebook.com/swedesportmotors
Swedesportmotors@gmail.com

airsweden

Postby airsweden » Fri Oct 22, 2010 8:21 am

idk, maybe in Swedish? Första årliga SAAB stomp och Rallycross 2010

For team, how about: West Trollhättan Allstars

And to steal a line from the adopted by jets website, for the event:

"SAAB is Dead" "Long Live SAAB"
--Covered Bridge Rally-X 2010--

Luke
Site Admin

Postby Luke » Fri Oct 22, 2010 10:08 am

airsweden wrote: Första årliga SAAB stomp och Rallycross 2010

:thumbsup:

I trying to decide what to do.

Got a couple options for something to drive...

-My 86 turbo daily driver could probably do ok in the stock class, but the exhaust is hanging on by a thread and this thing needs to get we through the winter so I prefer not to go beating the snot out of it.

-If my 9-5 wagon dosen't sell on ebay this week I could bring that and throw the snows on it and do my best to get the understeering 4000 lb pig sideways, that could be pretty fun and a good challenge.

-I could hitch up the trailer to the sprinter and bring the rally car, but 10 hours of towing round trip to spend 8 minutes of driving around a parking lot dosent really seem worth it.

Regardless, I really excited for the weekend, will be great to finally get everyone together!

Jordan
Site Admin
Number of Saabs currently owned: 6

Postby Jordan » Fri Oct 22, 2010 10:58 am

Luke wrote:
airsweden wrote: Första årliga SAAB stomp och Rallycross 2010

:thumbsup:

I trying to decide what to do.

Got a couple options for something to drive...

-My 86 turbo daily driver could probably do ok in the stock class, but the exhaust is hanging on by a thread and this thing needs to get we through the winter so I prefer not to go beating the snot out of it.

-If my 9-5 wagon dosen't sell on ebay this week I could bring that and throw the snows on it and do my best to get the understeering 4000 lb pig sideways, that could be pretty fun and a good challenge.

-I could hitch up the trailer to the sprinter and bring the rally car, but 10 hours of towing round trip to spend 8 minutes of driving around a parking lot dosent really seem worth it.

Regardless, I really excited for the weekend, will be great to finally get everyone together!

Luke, although I'm still crossing my fingers (though it looks more promising every day) you'd be welcome to drive The Blue Baller. I order a couple sets of idle jets as I'm pretty sure the ones I have are slightly too weak, but it does seem to be getting closer. Now I'm focusing on getting the lights , buttoning down the wiring/cables and finishing the interior. I got the registration and hopefully insurance today ( I have to take some creative pictures :rolleyes: ). Hopefully I can do one more big push next weekend to see where its at. Plus I may come up to VT early and get the car into Chris's shop if its STILL not done and JT and Chris will give me a hand.

Luke
Site Admin

Postby Luke » Fri Oct 22, 2010 1:12 pm

Jordan wrote: Hopefully I can do one more big push next weekend to see where its at. Plus I may come up to VT early and get the car into Chris's shop if its STILL not done and JT and Chris will give me a hand.

Yeah I figured if we can get access to Chris's shop on saturday we could spent a little time doing final prepping and wheel swaping etc on saturday. Jason and I are planning to caravan friday night.

SwedeSport

Postby SwedeSport » Fri Oct 22, 2010 2:31 pm

Luke,
If you don't plan to compete in your car, you could leave it at home and ride up in my hoopty.

Crazyswede
Team Turbo Troll Crew
Nickname: Mongo
Number of Saabs currently owned: 97

Postby Crazyswede » Fri Oct 22, 2010 2:35 pm

I am hoping to share wheel time in someone elses vehicle. my 900 needs a lot of work done and it has no suitable tires. I really can't risk breaking it at this point in time.

So yes, i am saying I want to break someone elses vehicle :lol:
I am the 73%

airsweden

Postby airsweden » Fri Oct 22, 2010 3:56 pm

Nobody's gonna break anything. Remember, its rally-x not rally. True, it would suck to have to replace a halfshaft in the dirt or drive 300 miles with a loud muffler but other than that we can be confident that the Swedish iron will triumph. Seth, If you ask nice, I'll bet you could drive Chris' car and Max maybe Pascal will give you a turn in this 9k. I figure if Migwell and Groobersson show, they'll share whatever they pull up in. Josh M will prob have a spot in the 96 too.

Luke
Site Admin

Postby Luke » Fri Oct 22, 2010 4:31 pm

airsweden wrote:Nobody's gonna break anything. Remember, its rally-x not rally. True, it would suck to have to replace a halfshaft in the dirt or drive 300 miles with a loud muffler but other than that we can be confident that the Swedish iron will triumph. Seth, If you ask nice, I'll bet you could drive Chris' car and Max maybe Pascal will give you a turn in this 9k. I figure if Migwell and Groobersson show, they'll share whatever they pull up in. Josh M will prob have a spot in the 96 too.

Thats very true, if your car can't make it around some cones in a parking lot on some flat graded gravel, you probably shoudnt trust it for everyday driving either.... plus you'll be surrounded by about 10 people that know how to repair a SAAB with their eyes closed.

SwedeSport

Postby SwedeSport » Fri Oct 22, 2010 4:41 pm

This event is gonna have more collective Saab knowledge and know-how than the Saab factory has in many years. Most problems that can arise from this should be easily overcome. But we should still knock on wood.

Jordan
Site Admin

Postby Jordan » Fri Oct 22, 2010 5:07 pm

Not to mention an actual SAAB mechanic and shop with a buttload of parts in stock within a 30 min drive, who will be with us.

Geoff
Team Turbo Troll Crew
Nickname: Geoff

Postby Geoff » Sat Oct 23, 2010 9:35 am

The toughest part about rallyX in a C900 is keeping it in gear. They like to pop out of gear if you have the earlier motor mounts. I once build a solid urethane front barrel-type mount for my '85 and it jumped out of the little fingers that hold it while rallyXing. If you have that style mount, just make sure the bolt/nut is real tight.

I would normally offer up seat time in my car but not knowing if I'm going to make it there on time (due to the party at my house the night before) I don't want to offer up a seat and then have whomever was going to drive be SOL when I don't make it.
The kind of dirty that doesn't wash off :eyebrows:

Crazyswede
Team Turbo Troll Crew
Nickname: Mongo
Number of Saabs currently owned: 97

Postby Crazyswede » Sat Oct 23, 2010 11:46 am

I have a history of breaking things at rally x's.
I am the 73%

Jordan
Site Admin

Postby Jordan » Sat Oct 23, 2010 12:06 pm

Geoff wrote:The toughest part about rallyX in a C900 is keeping it in gear. They like to pop out of gear if you have the earlier motor mounts. I once build a solid urethane front barrel-type mount for my '85 and it jumped out of the little fingers that hold it while rallyXing. If you have that style mount, just make sure the bolt/nut is real tight.

JT and I had to use two people in his car last time. One to drive and one to hold the thing in second gear.

Return to “News and Events”