Mt Washington 2011

Post updates/results of SAABs in racing
KPAero
Nickname: Pascal
Number of Saabs currently owned: 2

Re: Mt Washington 2011

Postby KPAero » Sun Feb 06, 2011 2:34 pm

I went to a meeting about this yesterday where Paul Giblon discussed the event and answered questions. I would highly recommend people try and make it to this, it sounds like it is going to be totally over the top and awesome. Other than the actual racing there will be some really cool cars on display, some car show type events, a couple concerts, fireworks etc. etc.

Im planning on trying to work a corner, but it also seems like they are doing a lot to make this a spectator friendly event, with spectator areas at the base, halfway point as well as at the summit. They don't have a ticket price set yet, but Paul said it would be reasonable. Those will go on sale in the spring.

I also asked about the hillclimb class, since the rules say that to enter any hillclimb class the car must have competed in a NEHA event before 2011. I wanted to know if a person had competed previously in a NEHA event, but the car was new, could they enter in one of the hillclimb classes? The answer was not a definite yes, but it would certainly be possible. It was also mentioned that so far there have not been many entries into the hillclimb classes, which Paul seemed disappointed about as he is hoping for a good showing from the local NEHA competitors. To me this means that anyone who sends in an entry for the hillclimb class would have a better chance of being excepted. Josh, are you still entering? I think I might just for shits and giggles, if I was excepted(a big if) I'd still have a lot of hurdles to actually have the car ready and be able to pay for everything. Although I figure, if I drove mt. washington and then skipped the last 6 NEHA events, I could afford it.

KPAero

Postby KPAero » Sun Feb 06, 2011 2:38 pm

Also, is anyone going to the VT winter rally? It's in two weeks I think? Anyone know if the registration is full yet?

Geoff
Team Turbo Troll Crew
Nickname: Geoff
Number of Saabs currently owned: 6

Postby Geoff » Mon Feb 07, 2011 7:13 pm

The last time I went to the Mt. Washinton Hillclimb we were able to drive to the half way point, park, and watch from there. I doubt that will be an option this time. It was also a real sunny day and we got massive sunburns.

Mongo and I are doing the VT Winter rally.
The kind of dirty that doesn't wash off :eyebrows:

KPAero

Postby KPAero » Mon Feb 07, 2011 9:03 pm

It sounded like a certain number of people could drive to the summit. For the halfway point I think there will be some sort of shuttle.

321go

Postby 321go » Wed Apr 20, 2011 11:36 pm

There's a Saab entered. Anybody from here?
Also noticed no VTSC Subaru entries either. Some really interesting cars running, esp. in historic class. Wish I could go.

Jordan
Site Admin

Postby Jordan » Thu Apr 21, 2011 7:53 am

That is KPAero on this board, his build thread is here in the build section.

I'd also love to compete, but the driver and car are not quite matured enough yet. Hopefully it will not be a single year event....we might get a group together to check it out though.

Crazyswede
Team Turbo Troll Crew
Nickname: Mongo
Number of Saabs currently owned: 97

Postby Crazyswede » Thu Apr 21, 2011 3:36 pm

Jordan wrote:That is KPAero on this board, his build thread is here in the build section.

I'd also love to compete, but the driver and car are not quite matured enough yet. Hopefully it will not be a single year event....we might get a group together to check it out though.

Wise choice. Mt Washington is not really a good place to run as your first event. There are a lot of good events in Vermont like Burke, Mt Philo, Okemo.
I am the 73%

Jordan
Site Admin

Postby Jordan » Thu Apr 21, 2011 6:01 pm

Well, its not like I'd try to get FTD or anything... It would be fun to compete with a historic car regardless. Of course a weld in cage is required and that is not in the picture at this moment in time.

BTW, Someone told me there are special cage rules, specific to the Mt. Washington event. I could just be repeating misinformation, but make double check your cage specs from the event site!

KPAero

Postby KPAero » Thu Apr 21, 2011 6:34 pm

Jordan wrote:Well, its not like I'd try to get FTD or anything... It would be fun to compete with a historic car regardless. Of course a weld in cage is required and that is not in the picture at this moment in time.

BTW, Someone told me there are special cage rules, specific to the Mt. Washington event. I could just be repeating misinformation, but make double check your cage specs from the event site!

That's sort of how I am going to go at it. Im definitely not going to try and do some bonzai max attack run up the hill, although Id like to not come in last. :lol: That is if I end up driving, I really want to, but $ is an issue. I sent in an entry not expecting to be accepted, one I got the letter it was a :-O moment. The next week I will be making the final decision as the bill is due at the end of the month.

The cage rules are pretty straightforward. They are requiring gussets at the corners of the roof, either 1" DOM or 1/8" plate. You also need to have a sill bar on any occupied side of the car, regardless of wether you have 1 or 2 other door bars.

Crazyswede
Team Turbo Troll Crew
Nickname: Mongo
Number of Saabs currently owned: 97

Postby Crazyswede » Thu Apr 21, 2011 10:37 pm

Jordan wrote:Well, its not like I'd try to get FTD or anything... It would be fun to compete with a historic car regardless. Of course a weld in cage is required and that is not in the picture at this moment in time.

Even so its not a road that is very forgiving for mistakes and it has lots of tricky corners that are easy to come into too hot. But if you could keep from getting lulled in it could be good fun. Not that going off most roads is a forgiving experience....just that there are lots of boulders and big drop offs.
I am the 73%

dan-the-kid
Nickname: dan-the-kid

Postby dan-the-kid » Fri Apr 22, 2011 9:55 am

My brother just sent me this.

Four additional classes host race cars which normally compete in the New England and Pennsylvania Hillclimb Championships that include cars from the 1970's: BMW 2002, Datsun 510, Opel Ascona, Chevrolet Camaro, and even a Triumph Spitfire; the 1980's: VW GTI, Mazda RX-7, Peugeot 505, Saab 900, and Porsches; the 1990's Nissan Sentra, Mitsubishi Eclipse, Dodge Neon, BMW M3, and the thrilling 240RS Maxi, and the 2000's including modern Volkswagen, Subaru WRX STI, and Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution entries.

http://www.autoblog.com/2011/04/22/2011 ... ive-field/

Pascal?

Return to “News and Events”