Philly Region Rallyx Kempton PA May 28th

Post updates/results of SAABs in racing
SwedeSport
Number of Saabs currently owned: 5

Philly Region Rallyx Kempton PA May 28th

Postby SwedeSport » Mon Mar 28, 2011 11:36 pm

I was thinking about checking this event out, anyone interested in an early spring refresher?

Shake the cobwebs out of those rally pigs and get em out of the garage!
Swedesport Motors, Apparel and Accessories for SAAB Junkies.
Http://Facebook.com/swedesportmotors
Swedesportmotors@gmail.com

paulh
Number of Saabs currently owned: 2

Re: Philly Region Rallyx Kempton PA May 28th

Postby paulh » Fri Dec 02, 2011 4:59 pm

So I just remembered theres another one of these on sunday, and its 30 mins from here. Anybody planning to go? I think Luke mentioned he was planning to go in another thread. I'm trying to figure out what three cars we can stick some decent snow tires onto for the event o_O .

Paul

Jordan
Site Admin
Number of Saabs currently owned: 6

Postby Jordan » Fri Dec 02, 2011 5:03 pm

SwedeSport wrote:I was thinking about checking this event out, anyone interested in an early spring refresher?

Shake the cobwebs out of those rally pigs and get em out of the garage!

Just dont break it until you make it out here in January.

Geoff
Team Turbo Troll Crew
Nickname: Geoff

Postby Geoff » Fri Dec 02, 2011 10:05 pm

paulh wrote: I'm trying to figure out what three cars we can stick some decent snow tires onto for the event o_O .

Just stick decent snows on one car and have triple drivers. Much easier than having to worry about three cars.
I say bring the Delorean ;)
The kind of dirty that doesn't wash off :eyebrows:

SwedeSport

Postby SwedeSport » Sat Dec 03, 2011 12:50 am

I'm on the fence. I have a sketchy trans in it at the moment. Hate to get stranded 2 hours from home.
Might at the least spectate. Outside of the stomp &rallyx in Vermont... This was the best dirt event i have run. And we only ran part of the course due to a hard rain the night before.

paulh
Number of Saabs currently owned: 2

Postby paulh » Sat Dec 03, 2011 11:12 am

SwedeSport wrote:I'm on the fence. I have a sketchy trans in it at the moment. Hate to get stranded 2 hours from home.
Might at the least spectate. Outside of the stomp &rallyx in Vermont... This was the best dirt event i have run. And we only ran part of the course due to a hard rain the night before.

Whats the course like? Sounds from the website like it should be relatively smooth, I'm actually considering taking the 750il since most of the Saabs are in dubious condition at the moment :lol:

Paul

Jordan
Site Admin

Postby Jordan » Sat Dec 03, 2011 11:16 am

SwedeSport wrote:I'm on the fence. I have a sketchy trans in it at the moment. Hate to get stranded 2 hours from home.

Why don't you swap the trans out then?! You either have plenty of money because you're so busy or you have plenty of time because you're not. It's at most a two day affair. If you don't have a decent one, I saw plenty '89+ ones in the yards last time I was there.

SwedeSport

Postby SwedeSport » Sat Dec 03, 2011 12:25 pm

CANCELLED >>>CANCELLED>>>CANCELLED! Just got notice from the organizer! Its too soupy from the last rain.

When I was there in the spring it had rained hard the night before leaving the course swampy in places. As the day went on the course dried out somewhat and became nice and grippy. The second half of the course had to be scratched since it was soup at that end.

The course would have been a nearly 2 minute run, but with the shortening of the track the average runs were just over a minute , and faster cars were running 45-50 seconds. It was set up on the dirt arena at the redneck racetrack where they did tough truck and dirt drags. It was about 25-30 yards wide by about 150 yards long (minus the swampy end). It was pretty smooth for the most part, with exception to the last minute finish line changes. The finish segment got a little rutted up and rough after some abuse. The most challenging part was the loop that went into the tall grass in the back. It was absolutely no grip in that section as the grass was really wet. It too improved as the day progressed.

I would expect a car with normal ride height to do ok. A lowered car may scrape the pan a few times, but as long as you dont just bonzai thru ...

If I go to the event Ill run the Pirelli rally tires I have on the manhole rims. My car is lowered quite a bit and has a sketchy trans. I will probably go there with the intention of just taking it somewhat easy and trying to finish the event without breaking the car. Im really not feeling up to putting the dirt setup back on the car today.

As far as the trans, I have a suitable replacement sitting on the bench, with a brand spanking new Quaife in a box next to it, and a bag with new bearings and seals. Maybe Ill get to pop its cherry at Stafford.

SwedeSport

Postby SwedeSport » Fri Dec 09, 2011 12:23 pm

aerial view of the fairgrounds.
Attachments
kempton.jpg
kempton.jpg (58.11 KiB) Viewed 2904 times

Return to “News and Events”