SAABs at Carlisle

Post updates/results of SAABs in racing
Luke
Site Admin

SAABs at Carlisle

Postby Luke » Fri Apr 08, 2011 12:24 pm

I'll probably go - Jason you and I should park side by side and operate a svelte vendor operation out of the back of the hatchbacks - Clothes and Parts, etc.

SwedeSport
Number of Saabs currently owned: 5

Re: SAABs at Carlisle

Postby SwedeSport » Fri Apr 08, 2011 2:55 pm

I am certainly going, but not running their hoakey autocross this time.

I have begun to speak to the powers that be at Carlisle about setting up a special display for Team SAABrally, and Team Swedesport. For the amount of money we will spend so other people can look at our cars, we could enter 2 cars in a race and camp the entire weekend. Its alot of money to entertain others. I don't think they give a shit to accomodate us in any way.

Carlisle doesnt want Sales done on the showfield. So I considered setting up my own display there where I can sell stuff as well as display the car. Wouldnt be a bad idea to go in on it together. The spaces are 10x30 so if we got 2 spaces side by side, we could put a couple of cars, and set up a store. Possibly set up a 15x20 tent toward the back for all the goodies.

I dunno if that would work but it would be 140 bucks for 2 spaces. We would have to add up the cost of entering Your car, my car and Jordan's car in the show, and figure out how much schwag we would need to sell in order to make it worthwhile. The idea would be to come away with a profit for each of us.
Swedesport Motors, Apparel and Accessories for SAAB Junkies.
Http://Facebook.com/swedesportmotors
Swedesportmotors@gmail.com

Luke
Site Admin

Postby Luke » Fri Apr 08, 2011 3:13 pm

SwedeSport wrote:I am certainly going, but not running their hoakey autocross this time.

I have begun to speak to the powers that be at Carlisle about setting up a special display for Team SAABrally, and Team Swedesport. For the amount of money we will spend so other people can look at our cars, we could enter 2 cars in a race and camp the entire weekend. Its alot of money to entertain others. I don't think they give a shit to accomodate us in any way.

Carlisle doesnt want Sales done on the showfield. So I considered setting up my own display there where I can sell stuff as well as display the car. Wouldnt be a bad idea to go in on it together. The spaces are 10x30 so if we got 2 spaces side by side, we could put a couple of cars, and set up a store. Possibly set up a 15x20 tent toward the back for all the goodies.

I dunno if that would work but it would be 140 bucks for 2 spaces. We would have to add up the cost of entering Your car, my car and Jordan's car in the show, and figure out how much schwag we would need to sell in order to make it worthwhile. The idea would be to come away with a profit for each of us.

One year I pulled the whole service van and the EZup onto the showfield when no one was looking, it took about an hour or two before anybody noticed and I had already sold most of the stuff I wanted to, heh.

As of right now I'll just bring the orange GLi for 20 bucks which includes entry for two people and load the back up with stuff and try to be covert.

hutch
Number of Saabs currently owned: 2

Postby hutch » Fri Apr 08, 2011 3:43 pm

Its been too long since I've been to a Central Penn Saab Club meeting but you could try contacting some of them to see if theres any wiggle room. Also remember to register with them so Saabs@Carlisle beats the Volvo group for the participation award.

If you're just selling t-shirts I'd just put it in your car, theres another guy that sells saab shirts and I don't think he's ever had a problem with it. I think they just don't want you put out fenders, engines, etc... that people can trip over walking around the showfield. Big parts are better off in the designated part field.

SwedeSport

Postby SwedeSport » Fri Apr 08, 2011 9:01 pm

I got a vendor space some years back, and it was financially worth it. I was only hocking used Saab crap, and it covered my whole trip, feeding and housing a helper, and put a respectable sum in my pocket. It was alot of work, but it was fun.

I was just thinking Carlisle would be one of the two places we would likely be successful promoting something cool and Saab related. Might be worth making an organized team effort of it. The only other place you can find this many Saab heads in one place, is the convention.

Jordan
Site Admin
Number of Saabs currently owned: 6

Postby Jordan » Sat Apr 09, 2011 10:29 am

I wanted to bring my 99, since the 99 showing is kind of dismal. 4500rpms @ 5+ hours, in a stinky race car that probably gets 12MPG , isn't quite worth it for a car show. I might drive it to the convention, but I really need a trailer and a truck now! I might tag a long with you guys though.

matt
Turbo Troll Crew Chief
Number of Saabs currently owned: 0

Postby matt » Wed May 04, 2011 9:33 pm

make and sell the damn b motor 16valve head poster!
"we changed a flat in 4 minutes, twice"
1994 9000 Aero (intake, stg 4 ecu, 3" TBE, clutch + broken trans mod) *sold*
2001 Subaru Outback Wagon *sold*
2006 Subaru WRX Wagon I'm back on boost!
ImageImage

burnsside42
Nickname: Jeff

Postby burnsside42 » Fri May 06, 2011 10:00 am

Wait - what? Since when can't you sell things on the showfield? I've only recently stopped bringing large amounts to sell... lol

This was 2008:

All loaded up to head home Sunday - watching some auto-x in the rain (note I have Aero Springs and Bilstien HD's on the car) :
"Tuck'n 16's"
6 Saab's + 1 Moto Guzzi = needs more time & money!

Jordan
Site Admin

Postby Jordan » Wed May 11, 2011 7:29 am

Sounds like we're going to be there Sat. Anything anybody needs from a C900 or a 99?

SwedeSport

Postby SwedeSport » Wed May 11, 2011 10:41 am

Ill look over the 99 project and determine what I might need.

I know I need a set of early doors.

burnsside42
Nickname: Jeff

Postby burnsside42 » Tue May 24, 2011 11:36 am

It was good meeting you SwedeSport! I think I indirectly met Jordan too when the other Jeff (DeLorean) was talking with you under the circus tent. I never did see Luke - I heard he was there and I think I saw his c900.
6 Saab's + 1 Moto Guzzi = needs more time & money!

Jordan
Site Admin

Postby Jordan » Tue May 24, 2011 12:53 pm

burnsside42 wrote:It was good meeting you SwedeSport! I think I indirectly met Jordan too when the other Jeff (DeLorean) was talking with you under the circus tent. I never did see Luke - I heard he was there and I think I saw his c900.

We actually met last year. I bought your rubber a-arm mounts that are currently on the race car.

We were pretty busy getting sunburned :thumbsup:

SwedeSport

Postby SwedeSport » Tue May 24, 2011 3:24 pm

It was good meeting you as well. Carlisle is always good for putting names and faces together. One can always count on seeing familiar faces there. Hopefully we can all be at the same place when I'm not trying to hustle tee shirts.

No doubt on the sunburn too, but at least the sun was out. Usually Carlisle is a rainy miserable experience.

Return to “News and Events”