Okemo II Results

Post updates/results of SAABs in racing
Jordan
Site Admin
Number of Saabs currently owned: 6

Okemo II Results

Postby Jordan » Sun Aug 07, 2011 10:05 pm

Well back from another hillclimbing weekend! Improvements and failures ensue.

Typical New England August with high humidity, lots of fog in the morning , some burn-off and rain later in the day as well.

Saturday practice remained dry and I improved my times right off the bat by 12 seconds and took off an additional second each subsequent run after, finally breaking in to 2 minutes (2:58). The new suspension and tach were actually quite helpful. I was able to now see ( and feel) that the power starts to drop off a little after 8000 rpm, so I was more confident of when to shift and didn't actually have to look down so much. Engine ran nice and smooth despite the constant flogging.

Sunday morning was wet. I took a cautious route as I wasn't sure how the car would handle in the wet and my times stayed pretty stagnant. The slippery course took two BMWs into the woods and caused further delays.

The next run I was finally finding a line and really giving it hell. A little too much hell. As I took a series of S curves towards the finish, I felt a skip in the power...and then none. Trying another gear, I had no luck and ended up in first gear and not able to get out of it, stranded on the hill one corner from the finish. Car idling in gear and moving nowhere.

With the help of some workers I was able to get it out of gear and roll back down the mountain (with some funny noises). Upon further inspection all gears seem to engage, but it didn't look good under the clutch shaft cover. Lots of metal shavings. Tear down and photos to come.

Mezzanine
Number of Saabs currently owned: 4

Re: Okemo II Results

Postby Mezzanine » Sun Aug 07, 2011 11:07 pm

Oh no! What were the specs on that trans?

Good thing you trailered to the event!

Jordan
Site Admin

Postby Jordan » Mon Aug 08, 2011 6:02 am

It was a '91 5-speed , with an LSD and 31/27 primary gears. It seems to be something in the primary transfer case. It "sounds" like I ripped the splines out of the clutch output shaft (or teeth out of the gear) or the bottom shaft/gear, but I won't know until I pull the front cover. I've never heard of that happening before, except on the gear drive 4-speeds.

SwedeSport
Number of Saabs currently owned: 5

Postby SwedeSport » Mon Aug 08, 2011 9:22 am

I broke the tensioner for the primary chain once and it made all kinds of racket! I swapped the chainset, and tensioner and it was fine. Hopefully its not too bad. Keep us posted.
Swedesport Motors, Apparel and Accessories for SAAB Junkies.
Http://Facebook.com/swedesportmotors
Swedesportmotors@gmail.com

Jordan
Site Admin

Postby Jordan » Mon Aug 08, 2011 11:37 am

Yup, it's a chain/tensioner failure. Broke one chain and it knocked off the other two. Doesn't look too bad inside and for the most part the case is OK.. Just need to flush out all of the shrapnel. It was suggested that I use a 4-speed staggered (the tensioner pads are not directly opposing) tensioner. I used the shortest chains I had, but I'll see if I can dig up another set.

open cover.JPG

broken chain.JPG

tensioner.JPG

edit : Spoke too soon.

Went to take the other chain/upper gear out and thought it felt kinda loose...
broken case.JPG
broken case.JPG (120.71 KiB) Viewed 3259 times

gear.JPG
gear.JPG (120.62 KiB) Viewed 3259 times

Crazyswede
Team Turbo Troll Crew
Nickname: Mongo
Number of Saabs currently owned: 97

Postby Crazyswede » Mon Aug 08, 2011 3:40 pm

I had a set of chains let loose on me on the interstate at 80 mph in my old 99 rally/cross car. There car had a 5 speed in it with the shorter ratio and an 8v non turbo engine...nothing fancy. I don't know why it let loose but it dumped all the oil and put one hole in the case on top of the cover and basically broke the whole bottom half off as well. The car stayed in gear and i was able to drive it to a gas station.....after that it wouldnt move forward.

At a later event with a different 5 speed we broke something else. The top primary gear let loose but the strong theory is that the input shaft bearing the flywheel was missing...as in it had fallen out of the flywheel or I had forgotten to put it back in...though its possible it fell out when the damage happened. either way that destroyed the front half and the car wouldnt move under its own power.
I am the 73%

Jordan
Site Admin

Postby Jordan » Mon Aug 08, 2011 4:05 pm

It's hard to tell since a broken chain causes a lot of carnage, but I'm sort of thinking that there was too much play in the upper roller bearing. Combined with high-rpm-shock-loaded-gear-changes it could have broken the case first...causing the gear to drop, slop in the chain and kaboom.

DeLorean
Number of Saabs currently owned: 9

Postby DeLorean » Mon Aug 08, 2011 8:04 pm

I had the same failure in my 900 in 07. Seems like they fail in a fun new way each time! :lol:
Less brake more gas!

KPAero
Nickname: Pascal
Number of Saabs currently owned: 2

Postby KPAero » Mon Aug 08, 2011 9:38 pm

I was also having a pretty good weekend. Ran a 2:37 on my third run which was enough for for 1st in class (although none of the regular fast S4 cars were there) and 16th overall. Unfortunately I wasn't quite up for doing a 2:36. :lol: I got caught out at the turn 29 sign and went off. For anyone not familiar with the hill, the last turn is number 30. After a 40-50 ft jaunt through the brush I came to a stop, a couple smallish rocks did do some damage. So far I have found a broken intercooler and smashed piping, the hood is done, radiator support, bumper, right outer fender will all need to be replaced. There is also some damage too the right inner fender area, while all the suspension bits and actual mounting points are still straight, the car will need an appointment with a frame puller to straighten things out. All things considered I think I made out pretty well. I was fine, and ended driving it home.

I was lucky here, oil cooler will be moving......

KPAero
Nickname: Pascal
Number of Saabs currently owned: 2

Postby KPAero » Mon Aug 08, 2011 9:45 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SqKEBlTX ... ata_player

This is my fast run. The memory card filled during the last run after about a minute, so there is no video of gratuitous crashing action.

Jordan
Site Admin

Postby Jordan » Mon Aug 08, 2011 10:09 pm

That sucks man, hope you're OK. The hill was a car killer this weekend...If you have trouble sourcing sheet metal , let me know, I saved a few things from my parts car. Doesn't look too terrible as off's go. Could have been worse...

Jordan
Site Admin

Postby Jordan » Tue Aug 09, 2011 8:37 am

Some more photos...

Dynamic spoiler

Mike

Geoff
Team Turbo Troll Crew
Nickname: Geoff

Postby Geoff » Tue Aug 09, 2011 12:16 pm

Jordan wrote:Image

The car is messed up but at least his shoe laces match the cage so he'll still get all the chicks.
The kind of dirty that doesn't wash off :eyebrows:

Crazyswede
Team Turbo Troll Crew
Nickname: Mongo
Number of Saabs currently owned: 97

Postby Crazyswede » Tue Aug 09, 2011 1:32 pm

Geoff wrote:
Jordan wrote:Image

The car is messed up but at least his shoe laces match the cage so he'll still get all the chicks.

thats a rather sketchy looking cage from what is visible in that photo.
I am the 73%

Jordan
Site Admin

Postby Jordan » Tue Aug 09, 2011 2:26 pm

That wasn't that guys car, it was the two kids in the background. They don't let you drive in jorts and wife beaters. :lol:

Return to “News and Events”