Stafford Springs RallyX 2012

Post updates/results of SAABs in racing
Geoff
Team Turbo Troll Crew
Nickname: Geoff
Number of Saabs currently owned: 6

Re: Stafford Springs RallyX 2012

Postby Geoff » Wed Jan 18, 2012 8:52 pm

Jason's suggestion isn't bad. Rally tires are junk in the cold, no grip. That site, when there's no snow on it, chews up snow tires like Mike Tyson chews up ears. If it were me, I'd probably go with rally tires just to save what I have left of my Hakkas, which are pretty trashed from a few events at Stafford.
The kind of dirty that doesn't wash off :eyebrows:

Jordan
Site Admin

Postby Jordan » Wed Jan 18, 2012 9:21 pm

Kind of what I was thinking. I doubt there will be much if any snow Sunday, but I didn't want to eat up the only snow tires in the household ;)

Darth Blomqvist
Nickname: kip
Number of Saabs currently owned: 4

Postby Darth Blomqvist » Thu Jan 19, 2012 12:48 pm

Hey guys,

Sorry I haven't had a chance to chime in for a while...

I have signed my brother-in-law and myself up for the weekend. I stripped Snake's #86 (in my dreams I imagined fixing the rust and having it live again, but Mr. Teresco truly got the last sliver of life out of that shell). However, the motor and trans are living on in the old Hutchins car and I am hoping to have it ready for this weekend.

I figure a rallycross a good test for the car before I get it out on the ice. As for tires I don’t have any rally tires, so I am planning to just run some old snows. Has anyone bought rally tires from Justin of Grease Car? I would like to pick up a set of rally tires and was wondering what you guys thought would be the best rout for someone who might only be doing 1 or 3 rally crosses a year?

Also, my parents live in Suffild, Ct 06078. If any of you are looking for a couch or garage for last minuet fixes let me know, we would be happy to host.

kip
Attachments
photo.JPG
photo.JPG (154.46 KiB) Viewed 3295 times
photo (2).JPG
photo (2).JPG (139.73 KiB) Viewed 3295 times

DrewP
Nickname: TANK
Number of Saabs currently owned: 1

Postby DrewP » Thu Jan 19, 2012 1:31 pm

Is that your E-Type?!?!?
"You can educate ignorance, but you can't fix stupid."

KPAero
Nickname: Pascal
Number of Saabs currently owned: 2

Postby KPAero » Thu Jan 19, 2012 1:33 pm

Cool, I'm still trying to decide if it's worth trying to get the hill car out for this. It doesn't have heat though. I may just end up sharing a car with my little brother who just got his license and is bringing an ng900 he picked up.

As for rally tires, if your just going to use them for rally cross, buying used might make more sense. I saw on the NER forum that Justin has a few used sets he is looking to clear out before the new DMacks arrive. I think he mentioned he might be at stafford as well.

KPAero

Postby KPAero » Thu Jan 19, 2012 1:33 pm

Jordan
Site Admin

Postby Jordan » Thu Jan 19, 2012 3:05 pm

Poor Omologato...Used rally tires would be perfect for rallyX and Justin is a good guy.

Pascal, you might have fogging/frosting issues if it snows/rains Sat. I won't have heat in my car either, so I'll be spending some quality time in the truck Sunday. Hopefully we wont get much if any precipitation Sunday. Would be great to see the hillclimber out again though... and I'm sure it would be more fun ;)

airsweden
Number of Saabs currently owned: 0

Postby airsweden » Thu Jan 19, 2012 11:40 pm

Whoa... poor Omologato indeed. He gave me all he had 2003-2011. When that car was good, it was "really" good. Lots of race miles... even won that Stafford event a couple of times.

This was maybe 2006 or so
99 problems but a SAAB ain't 1

Jordan
Site Admin

Postby Jordan » Sat Jan 21, 2012 8:06 am

About 2" on the ground now and we are supposed to get maybe 4-6". Good luck to everyone today and see you tomorrow!

KPAero

Postby KPAero » Sat Jan 21, 2012 7:55 pm

Today was pretty fun. A few inches fell slowly throughout the day so there was always some snow on the course. The ground stayed solid, parts ended up becoming polished and slippery while there was good grip in other spots. Doesn't seam to be too much sheer ice under the snow.

We had fun in the ng900. I was pleased to find that it is very willing to rotate. Kip didn't fair so well, the car broke something during the first run group and was towed off the course. We were in different run groups though and I didn't have a chance to find out what broke before they left. I heard it was tie rod related over the radio?

Jordan
Site Admin

Postby Jordan » Sun Jan 22, 2012 8:43 am

I worked all day yesterday mounting a skid plate, swapping tires (decided to go with the snows) and tires and getting everything ready for today. This morning made it about about 1000 feet before the the trailer swung out on me and decided it would take up the whole road. Luckily no one was out and I was able to pull it straight into a driveway. Had to unload the car and drive it home then get the truck. I figured it was safer not to venture further...pretty dissapointed.

Oh well, another day.

Jordan
Site Admin

Postby Jordan » Mon Jan 23, 2012 7:36 am

Weird turn of events yesterday.

I decided to put my snows back on my c900 and drive out just see everyone and deliver the intake that Pascal wanted. Kip ended up having to leave early so I got to drive the iceracer the second half of the day! One of the coolant hoses popped off on the 3rd run, but it still great to be out there.

Next, Pascal's brother blew coolant line after some limiter-bumping. Luckily, the intake manifold I brought had some extra hoses still attached he was able to slip fit and get the car back home safely!

I forgot how smooth that course was and being close to 2 minutes/run I thought it was a great event. There wasn't a ton of people this year so it ran smoothly and quickly. Definitely will repeat next year. Hopefully with my car.

Return to “News and Events”