2013 BMR RallyX Season

Post updates/results of SAABs in racing
SwedeSport
Number of Saabs currently owned: 5

2013 BMR RallyX Season

Postby SwedeSport » Thu Nov 15, 2012 10:43 am

I was asked to come to a board meeting for the Blue Mountain Region of the SCCA.

Being the resident RallyX fan in the club, they asked me to explain RallyX to the group. So I gave them a synopsis of what it was and how the classes for car prep are broken down.

Our region is primarily Hillclimb based, and runs the PHA series. They have been trying to implement other programs to expand on the types of events. The hill season goes from June to Sept. They were looking to fill in the blanks around that with a few AutoX and RallyX events.
They have been developing an AutoX program for a few years now, and plan to try to expand on that. There are a few RallyX events in our region, but they are run by Philly region with permission to hold events on our turf. The plan is to revoke that permission and have someone in our own region run the show.

So they railroa.... er, um,.... appointed me to head up the task of putting together a few RallyX's next season.

What this means is that I am hoping to see alot of you guys coming to BMR events next season.

I have a few ideas for the events, and will be reaching out to property owners and local officials to try to secure 2 different locations with the potential to run up to 4 events per year. Likely 2 at each site. We already have a relationship with the Kempton Fairgrounds. A great site with the ability to run 2 seperate courses on the same property. We plan to continue and improve upon this site as our primary event. We have also run at Grandview Speedway, although I really get the feeling they don't want us back. So I will be looking for a second site.

I will need to get credentialed by the SCCA to Steward events. I hope to have this done rather quickly as I would like to hold an event sometime over the winter.

I see some potential for a "SAAB MAAB" event.
Swedesport Motors, Apparel and Accessories for SAAB Junkies.
Http://Facebook.com/swedesportmotors
Swedesportmotors@gmail.com

Crazyswede
Team Turbo Troll Crew
Nickname: Mongo
Number of Saabs currently owned: 97

Re: 2013 BMR RallyX Season

Postby Crazyswede » Thu Nov 15, 2012 11:51 am

SwedeSport wrote:I was asked to come to a board meeting for the Blue Mountain Region of the SCCA.

Being the resident RallyX fan in the club, they asked me to explain RallyX to the group. So I gave them a synopsis of what it was and how the classes for car prep are broken down.

Our region is primarily Hillclimb based, and runs the PHA series. They have been trying to implement other programs to expand on the types of events. The hill season goes from June to Sept. They were looking to fill in the blanks around that with a few AutoX and RallyX events.
They have been developing an AutoX program for a few years now, and plan to try to expand on that. There are a few RallyX events in our region, but they are run by Philly region with permission to hold events on our turf. The plan is to revoke that permission and have someone in our own region run the show.

So they railroa.... er, um,.... appointed me to head up the task of putting together a few RallyX's next season.

What this means is that I am hoping to see alot of you guys coming to BMR events next season.

I have a few ideas for the events, and will be reaching out to property owners and local officials to try to secure 2 different locations with the potential to run up to 4 events per year. Likely 2 at each site. We already have a relationship with the Kempton Fairgrounds. A great site with the ability to run 2 seperate courses on the same property. We plan to continue and improve upon this site as our primary event. We have also run at Grandview Speedway, although I really get the feeling they don't want us back. So I will be looking for a second site.

I will need to get credentialed by the SCCA to Steward events. I hope to have this done rather quickly as I would like to hold an event sometime over the winter.

I see some potential for a "SAAB MAAB" event.

Great, where will your first event be held in Vermont?
I am the 73%

SwedeSport

Postby SwedeSport » Thu Nov 15, 2012 12:23 pm

I think the NER guys have VT. handled. My turf consists of Berks and Schuylkill counties in PA. So any event I put together will require a bit of travel if you would like to participate.

The Kempton site is pretty cool. I posted an aerial shot of the course in a post I made advertising the event last year. They actually have 2 areas on the property where they were allowing us to run. The primary stadium course can turn soupy if there is too much rain, so a secondary backup course was devised on higher ground.

It may or may not work, but what I am going to propose is to secure the use of the site longer term, and hold potentially 2-3 events there. This would allow some options for course setup. It is a bit out of the ordinary for a RallyX, but I was thinking it could potentially add an element of challenge to use both courses, each with 2-3 configurations. This way you never run the same segment twice. I think this would make it a little more like a stage rally as opposed to an AutoX.

I am going to scout the area to see if camping on site would be possible, as well as talk to the local officials to see if this can be combined with other events, and possibly involve the community somehow. It would be kind of cool to set up a 2 day event, with several courses set up throughout the weekend.

At the last Kempton event a few weeks ago the competitors got 20 runs a piece. Of course that would drop a bit as the event gains popularity. Current attendance is about 20-25 cars on average.

SwedeSport

Postby SwedeSport » Thu Nov 15, 2012 3:58 pm

Aerial of the "Swamp course" at Kempton.
Attachments
kempton.jpg
kempton.jpg (58.11 KiB) Viewed 7578 times

Crazyswede
Team Turbo Troll Crew

Postby Crazyswede » Thu Nov 15, 2012 4:05 pm

SwedeSport wrote:Aerial of the "Swamp course" at Kempton.

Looks like a fun place. You should just do a wheel to wheel event there. 4 cars per heat.
I am the 73%

SwedeSport

Postby SwedeSport » Thu Nov 15, 2012 4:24 pm

I would love to do some wheel to wheel stuff,... can I borrow YOUR car?

Crazyswede
Team Turbo Troll Crew

Postby Crazyswede » Thu Nov 15, 2012 4:43 pm

SwedeSport wrote:I would love to do some wheel to wheel stuff,... can I borrow YOUR car?

Sure. take the range rover.
I am the 73%

SwedeSport

Postby SwedeSport » Mon Jan 14, 2013 11:16 pm

I made contact with the Kempton people and they seem to be very enthusiastic about continuing to run events at their facility. They seem willing to work with us to tune the site to work for our purposes. I do have verification that camping is allowed on the site, which opens up the possibility of an event that covers several days. They even have site hookups for rv's. There is a huge pole barn that could be used for pit garages or other uses during the weekend.

I plan to attend a training event next month to begin the process of obtaining my Steward credentials.

If all goes according to plan, the first BMR event at Kempton is tentatively scheduled for sometime in the early spring. More details as they become available.

I certainly hope that some of you will try to make it out, even if it is just to spectate.

SwedeSport

Postby SwedeSport » Tue Apr 16, 2013 9:13 pm

Myself and another BMR member met with the folks at Kempton tonight. We managed to make friends with their Fairground Committee. They seem enthused enough to let us hold a few events a year at their facility.

We tentatively reserved Sunday May 19th for our first event... That is the weekend of Carlisle. Hopefully some of you that have been kicking around the idea of coming to Carlisle, will pop over to Kempton on Sunday to either enter the event or just hang out and shoot the shit.

More details as they formulate.

SwedeSport

Postby SwedeSport » Wed Apr 17, 2013 8:30 pm

19th of May is not gonna happen.

Back to the drawing board. Trying to identify another date...

SwedeSport

Postby SwedeSport » Thu Oct 17, 2013 12:35 pm

I am going to be relocating my business, as well as Swedesport Motors garage. I have too much on my plate with all that going on, so I had to step out as the RallyX Chairperson for Blue Mountain Region SCCA.

George Ackerman, who was working with me to try to get the program going, has stepped up to take the position.

George was able to get a date for an event at the aforementioned Kempton Fairgrounds. The first event is going to be held on
Sunday November 24th.

I will post more details as they become available.

SwedeSport

Postby SwedeSport » Wed Nov 13, 2013 10:58 am

Don't forget..... November 24th @ Kempton Fairgrounds. RALLYX....

This is a great location for an event. I ran it once a few years ago. Hope to see you all there.

SwedeSport

Postby SwedeSport » Tue Nov 26, 2013 10:41 am

Our first RallyX went well.

I ran my 89T sedan, Jeff ran his Geo Metro, Paul ran his GTO, Erica ran a 900S. Gary Reider came out to watch for a little bit.

We were having a few minor glitches throughout the day, but that is to be expected when a bunch of noobs try to put on a RallyX. But all things considered it went well.

We are talking about having another one there in the short term. Maybe we can get lucky enough to run a snow RallyX.
Attachments
20131124_105425.jpg

DeLorean
Number of Saabs currently owned: 9

Postby DeLorean » Tue Nov 26, 2013 11:06 am

I'm down for another one!
Less brake more gas!

SwedeSport

Postby SwedeSport » Tue Nov 26, 2013 11:09 am

DeLorean wrote:I'm down for another one!

I knew you guys were having a good time!

Return to “News and Events”