Stafford RallyX

Post updates/results of SAABs in racing
Jordan
Site Admin
Number of Saabs currently owned: 6

Stafford RallyX

Postby Jordan » Mon Jan 14, 2013 9:20 am

Decided to dust off Ol' blue and have some fun. I recently picked up some old (but well kept) studded Hakka 10s that I wanted to try out.

With temps in the upper 40s with rain the previous day/morning, the course was a mix of ice and sloppy mud all under 2" of water. Pretty slow going at first with little or no traction anywhere. Later in the day it got super rutted up which at least provided some traction! Unfortunately, our last runs while significantly faster, were hampered by the fact that we couldn't see a damn thing since I haven't put a defroster in!

Kip and I shared driving and both got terrible in car videos. I managed to snap one from the outside, but I'm hoping some more onlookers will be posting some better stuff soon. Pascal and his brother Marcel also where there. I'll let him fill in!

A few pics.
IMG_1591.JPG

IMG_1604.JPG

IMG_1598.JPG

Oh also our friend Josh Menke with his awesome Benz was another crowd favorite
IMG_1062.jpg

IMG_1056.jpg

And finally a video
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=44 ... =2&theater

KPAero
Nickname: Pascal
Number of Saabs currently owned: 2

Re: Stafford RallyX

Postby KPAero » Mon Jan 14, 2013 11:38 am

As always, I had a good time driving my old 900 Turbo, that is now Marcel's car. Like Jordan said, the conditions Saturday were very slick in the morning, but the snow and ice was mostly gone for the afternoon and I had aired down the front tires and was getting some good grip from an older set of winterforces. Our windows stayed clear and luckily, we had put on some new wipers for the event which helped keep the outside clear of all the muddy water splashing around.

Marcel put down some quick times on two runs that would have put him second in class under auto-x scoring, but those were balanced out by a couple messy runs. On Saturday I ended up third in class out of the 12 that were in stock front.

Sunday the conditions were still muddy, but much faster with two really fun courses. Marcel drove more consistently and took second in class out of 9?, a result he was very happy with. I had a couple moments of not so brilliant driving, including stalling the car after braking too hard while off the throttle coming into a particularly soupy corner. Despite the rest of the morning runs feeling good, the times were all very close and that put me towards the back. Then on the final run the two allen heads that hold the throttle to the firewall loosened enough that the peddle shifted and was jammed shut by the heater valve. This happened after setting up for a long sweeper and I nearly looped it when the car wouldn't power out of the slide, limping through the rest of the course I ended up in last. But the course was great and I had a blast.

The car came away a bit bruised after one rear shock busted through the sheet metal. This occurred sometime late saturday, but we didn't investigate the clunk until it worsened when going on a coffee run Sunday morning as we first thought the exhaust was rubbing somewhere from a broken hanger.

Josh Menke's Mercedes was great to watch, and he was having a great time driving. After trailing a BMW e36 in his class all day he was able to take the lead on the last run that was run in complete darkness. I had to stop him on course when he actually caught the BMW that was running ahead of him, not an easy task on a Rallyx course.

Crazyswede
Team Turbo Troll Crew
Nickname: Mongo
Number of Saabs currently owned: 97

Postby Crazyswede » Mon Jan 14, 2013 12:39 pm

did Greg bring the 280Z?
I am the 73%

KPAero
Nickname: Pascal
Number of Saabs currently owned: 2

Postby KPAero » Mon Jan 14, 2013 2:01 pm

He was there on Sunday. Unfortunately we were in the same run group so I didn't get a chance to see him going.

Crazyswede
Team Turbo Troll Crew
Nickname: Mongo
Number of Saabs currently owned: 97

Postby Crazyswede » Mon Jan 14, 2013 2:03 pm

KPAero wrote:He was there on Sunday. Unfortunately we were in the same run group so I didn't get a chance to see him going.

if you get a chance I recommend going for a ride....then after to get out remind yourself that I, Mongo, codrive in that car now and then and I am 6'3" tall and 205 lbs and wearing a helmet and Hans device :lol: I am intimately familiar with the locations of the roll bar tubing in that car.
I am the 73%

Jordan
Site Admin

Postby Jordan » Mon Jan 14, 2013 2:17 pm

Yeah, I only went Sat, so I didn't see him.

Here is another great pic of Menke

I will be cleaning mud/grass/sand out for a long time :thumbsup:

Jordan
Site Admin

Postby Jordan » Mon Jan 14, 2013 8:40 pm

Attachments
736572_322669334499985_392705211_o.jpg

SwedeSport
Number of Saabs currently owned: 5

Postby SwedeSport » Mon Jan 14, 2013 10:54 pm

Looks like a lot of sloppy fun.
Swedesport Motors, Apparel and Accessories for SAAB Junkies.
Http://Facebook.com/swedesportmotors
Swedesportmotors@gmail.com

SalemSaab
Nickname: CapitolSAAB
Number of Saabs currently owned: 1

Postby SalemSaab » Tue Jan 15, 2013 3:14 pm

Both the 99 and Benz look far too nice to be subjected to such abuse.
Someone should revoke your classic car license :P

bet it's a ton of fun though. I did AutoX in my VWs but my paint/wheels are too nice to RallyX the SAAB.
CapitolSAAB - your source in the PNW for SAAB parts & accessories

Return to “News and Events”