First track event for T-5 car

Post updates/results of SAABs in racing
gmreider
Number of Saabs currently owned: 6

First track event for T-5 car

Postby gmreider » Mon May 27, 2013 9:09 am

Some of you know that I converted my 93 900S to T-5 over the winter. I kept the compression @ 10: 1 and normally Aspirated at first. Let me say to all of you: T-5 is great. You won't regret doing it. After running on the street for a few weeks, I finally added the Mitsubisihi turbo and stock 16V turbo intercooler , plus an oil cooler. The plan here was to add some power to continue hill climbing and time trial events. Jordan P made the adjustments to the ECM and I did my own harness and installation. The car still runs good and has really quick pickup in the lower gears. Boost seems to peak out about 8-9 lbs. Probably the T-5 trying to save the motor from frying from the 10: 1 compression. I installed a wide band AF meter to try to keep an eye on mixture at full throttle.
I ran the car for the first time at a time trial event at Summit Point this weekend. Short 1.2 mile track but two fairly long straights and lots of twists I ran as street modified front wheel drive. The only other car in the class was a new supercharged Mini.
Anyway the Saab would pull close to 95-97 mph down the back straight and powered through the rest of the course well. The limiting factor was the driver. The mini was always a second or two faster until Sunday AM. I got within .6 seconds of him. When all was said an done on the last run I was burned out and he got enspired and he knocked off 2 seconds.
He is coming to Weatherly Hillclimb in 2 weeks, and I may turn the tide on him then.
This was the hardest I ever ran this SAAB.
Ran like champ, no leaks no problems,stayed together with the 10: 1 compression.

SwedeSport
Number of Saabs currently owned: 5

Re: First track event for T-5 car

Postby SwedeSport » Mon May 27, 2013 9:57 am

Sounds like you had a good weekend.

Getting some seat time over the next few weeks will be good. You'll probably blow my doors off at Pagoda.

Nice job!
Swedesport Motors, Apparel and Accessories for SAAB Junkies.
Http://Facebook.com/swedesportmotors
Swedesportmotors@gmail.com

DrewP
Nickname: TANK
Number of Saabs currently owned: 1

Postby DrewP » Mon May 27, 2013 11:30 am

What does the butt dyno report?
"You can educate ignorance, but you can't fix stupid."

gmreider

Postby gmreider » Mon May 27, 2013 12:03 pm

DrewP wrote:What does the butt dyno report?

I would say in short burst , like flat out for 5-7 seconds in 2nd and 3rd, it pulls as hard as
a regular 16V turbo with a SPG APC box ( 175HP) . IF you keep running down the straight, the T-5 starts bumping down the boost and timing I think. It's hard to watch the guages for too long as you got to keep looking for the brake point etc. The car pulls like crazy quickly in 2nd gear when you put the pedal down. Probably the high compression. Not much lag and boost comes on quick.
Sometime , I should get a base HP number on a chassis dyno.
I think for all out stuff 8.8 to 9.3 compression and 14-20 lbs boost would be better down the straights.
I think this setup will be Ok on hills with lots of hard corners and short straights between turns.
I'll let you know in 2 weeks.

Jordan
Site Admin

Postby Jordan » Mon May 27, 2013 2:03 pm

It is fairly easy to hook up a knock light for tuning purposes. Or If I come with the laptop, you can do active logging and see what it is actually doing.

87 n/a

Postby 87 n/a » Mon May 27, 2013 8:51 pm

gmreider wrote:Some of you know that I converted my 93 900S to T-5 over the winter. I kept the compression @ 10: 1 and normally Aspirated at first. Let me say to all of you: T-5 is great. You won't regret doing it.

What base map did you use for the ECU originally (prior to adding turbo)?
Jesus H. Tapdancin Christ,...

Jordan
Site Admin

Postby Jordan » Mon May 27, 2013 9:45 pm

He ran a stock ECU I believe.

gmreider

Postby gmreider » Tue May 28, 2013 8:22 am

Jordan wrote:He ran a stock ECU I believe.

Yes, Jordan is correct. My starter ECM was a NG 900 1997 2.0 turbo auto trans.
The car ran fine even normally aspirated with that ECM with no changes. the 2.1 litre never idled so good as it does with T-5. Also started quicker.

gmreider

Postby gmreider » Fri Jun 07, 2013 7:52 am

Well, were off to Weatherly Pa for the first true hill climb of the year. looks like we'll be towing up in rain today, but it should dry out for Saturday and Sunday If any of you are in Eastern Pa and bored, come out and watch this weekend. It's a very friendly group. I am hoping to beat the supercharged Mini Cooper S this time. This hill is short , but tight and steep , with an air bourne jump and down hill finish.

SwedeSport

Postby SwedeSport » Fri Jun 07, 2013 8:50 am

Good Luck Gary!

Make Team Saab proud!

gmreider

Postby gmreider » Mon Jun 10, 2013 7:58 am

Came home Sunday with the class win and the car still intact. The car never missed a beat. The Mini started out slower than I did, but he was closing the gap by run 6. sunday I dropped another 2 seconds and he did not close that up. We both made 11 runs on the hill + a novice tour. We could have had a 12th run, but he elected not to and if I went up again and did something dumb , I would not get the sign off for my regular license. I also elected to stop. I was surprised that so many people came up and said how they had owned SAAB and how they were really glad to see me running this car. The car is a whole different animal then last year.
Next hill is Pagoda. I expect to get beat there pretty badly by a Mazda Speed. Then there is Swedesport that I never beat any where. It will be a fun weekend.

SwedeSport

Postby SwedeSport » Mon Jun 10, 2013 8:43 am

Good to hear you had a positive weekend.

Can't wait to run Pagoda with you. I have improved the car a bit since last year...

gmreider

Postby gmreider » Mon Jun 10, 2013 8:54 am

SwedeSport wrote:Good to hear you had a positive weekend.

Can't wait to run Pagoda with you. I have improved the car a bit since last year...

Yeh, were going to have a real fun time at Pagoda. There's 5 cars in the class so far. See you Friday nite at the Fire Tower if not sooner. There is a setup work day on Saturday the 15th for BMR members @ 8:30 @ turn 2. I am expecting to be there. They only work for about a half day.

Return to “News and Events”