SAAB results for Pagoda Hill climb

Post updates/results of SAABs in racing
gmreider
Number of Saabs currently owned: 6

SAAB results for Pagoda Hill climb

Postby gmreider » Tue Jun 25, 2013 7:53 pm

Well' Jason and I had a real competition going this last weekend. Our 2 cars are both 900's but quite different all the same. A Mazda 3 was class leader with a best time of 96.997 seconds. Jason and I traded places between 4th and 2nd all weekend. Jason broke his best time of last year and was rightly happy. I was trying to achieve his last years time of about 100. 00 seconds. At one point early I was second and then slipped down to fourth and Jason was 3rd by end of Saturday. Sunday afternoon Jason broke out a 99.434 to best his time of last year and take over 2nd place. I was in 4th place all day until the last and 8th run. I put down a 99.406 to move into 2nd place. Jason was behind by .028 seconds. The Mazda never bested his Saturday run of 96.997, I got second with a 99.406 , Jason was 3rd with a 99.434, and a VW sirocco was 4th with a 99.912, and a Mini cooper S was 5th with a 105.???
This was quite a weekend. All of us in the class get along fine and we had good time.
Next time we meet up, anything could happen. I think this was Jason's 5th event and my 4th event. I am sure we are both already looking for more improvements. MORE HP / more Guts !!
Last edited by gmreider on Wed Jun 26, 2013 6:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

DeLorean
Number of Saabs currently owned: 9

Re: SAAB results for Pagoda Hill climb

Postby DeLorean » Tue Jun 25, 2013 8:15 pm

Wow, great times! We will have at least 1 car by next year... It was good fun watching this weekend. Garry, we need to get together sometime soon to get your 900 tuned to help with the more power aspect! Speaking of which, I am getting rid of the megasquirt on my SPG and am going trionic, so we will get some experience tuning a classic 900. If I could borrow that handy NG-900 trionic system wiring diagram manual, it would expedite the process. I have all the parts, wiring, sensors, etc.
Less brake more gas!

SwedeSport
Number of Saabs currently owned: 5

Postby SwedeSport » Tue Jun 25, 2013 9:15 pm

If I had only remembered to take the spare tire out of my trunk...
Swedesport Motors, Apparel and Accessories for SAAB Junkies.
Http://Facebook.com/swedesportmotors
Swedesportmotors@gmail.com

gmreider

Postby gmreider » Wed Jun 26, 2013 6:40 am

SwedeSport wrote:If I had only remembered to take the spare tire out of my trunk...

Yes that's a fair assessment. Think what we could do with some HP. Did you get the full results and look at the radar times? I pulled 87 mph @ turn 6 on the last run. Also Joe Keech even though he was a bit overwhelmed pulled 89 mph on a run. He will be a real threat soon.

Great weekend ! we both have nothing to be embarrassed about. Good show for Team SAAB !!

SwedeSport

Postby SwedeSport » Wed Jun 26, 2013 9:59 am

Yep, I was looking at the results.
I don't think they are actually clocking thru 6. I was told they are hitting you with radar when you appear around what some refer to as turn 5C, and into 6.

My best speed thru there this weekend was 87 on my second to last run. I could probably hit 100+ there if I can get 5 and 5b figured out. My line thru that section kinda sucks. With stickier tires I would venture to say I could negotiate 6 flat out, but with the solid rotor brakes still on the front, doubt I could haul it down for 7.

I am pretty happy about the whole experience. To consistently be running mid pack, and occasionally being able to pick up the 2 spot (even if only for a short spell), in a car that has the lowest amount of power in the pack, is more than I expected out of the old tan Saab.

If you actually watch some of the more powerful cars, they actually slow way down for the turns, and then it's just a drag race to the next braking zone. We on the other hand have to maintain our momentum thru the turns, or we don't have the power to regain all that speed.

SwedeSport

Postby SwedeSport » Wed Jun 26, 2013 10:22 am

I saw a few videos of Gary, and a few pics too. He has a nice smooth line, and seems to negotiate the turns nicely.
Attachments
.facebook_-466652501.jpg
.facebook_-466652501.jpg (78.64 KiB) Viewed 4796 times

paulh
Number of Saabs currently owned: 2

Postby paulh » Wed Jun 26, 2013 10:41 am

Yeah, theres definitely some extreme ham-fisted driving happening by some of the higher HP cars there. When you have less power you can't afford not to learn how to go around turns fast, both of you guys were hauling along pretty well from what I saw. Gary's car is hilarious to watch cause its obviously faster than it was last year, but I think its actually a bit quieter because of the turbo now, need to loose some of those mufflers! :lol:

Paul

SwedeSport

Postby SwedeSport » Wed Jun 26, 2013 11:20 am

I would have to say that not only is his car faster, he is getting a little more confidence with the course. I am too.

There is definitely a learning curve to take into account. Gary has some motorsports experience from days past. I am a little greener around the edges.

gmreider

Postby gmreider » Wed Jun 26, 2013 12:21 pm

well next year we should have 4 SAAB's running. I think Paul H and Delorean are hooked . Who has the video of my car? I would like to see those.
Jason is the finest SAAB competitor / enthusiast that I have come across in along time. I was shocked and thrilled to beat him by .028 seconds. That was real close competition. He is going to return the favor ,I am sure.
I am going to open up the exhaust some by Duryea Hill climb.
If any of you think we were trying hard last weekend , wait until Duryea.

And if Luke reads this, I know you could put us all to shame. just put some slicks on or run in the Rally car class against the Kennedy's.

I'll bring the beer for after the racing next time. I really could have used some alcohol on Sunday after the show.

SwedeSport

Postby SwedeSport » Wed Jun 26, 2013 1:44 pm

Thanks Gary,

My dad was shooting video footage from various spectator spots. Maybe one day he will actually send them to me.

Luke is not much of a drinker, but definitely one hell of a driver. He would have a blast running against the Kennedy's. And with rally logbooks already, is probably a tire and setup change away from running.

Jeff and Paul have a few cars that would be suitable for the hill. Jordan, Pascal, Luke, and now Seth, have cars capable of it. Hell,... maybe we could find a way of getting Chuck Christ to come out again. Get Quinn and Drew, and A few of the other guys to come in from out west.

If we could put together a gang of Saab Junkies to attack the hill, I could print up some "SAAB MAAB II" shirts.

DrewP
Nickname: TANK
Number of Saabs currently owned: 1

Postby DrewP » Wed Jun 26, 2013 2:31 pm

That's a looooong drive for ~12 minutes of track time....

I will definitely try to make it out to something out there eventually, you can count on it!

Isn't SOC in Oregon or Washington state next year? Maybe something driving related will get organized for that again, would be a blast if any of you make it out here!
"You can educate ignorance, but you can't fix stupid."

99Super
Number of Saabs currently owned: 13

Postby 99Super » Wed Jun 26, 2013 8:55 pm

SOC14 is in Bend. I'm already lobbying for a trackday at ORP.

Maybe we need an all-SAAB invitational somewhere in the central US...dreaming...

Congrats to both Gary and Jason!

squaab99t
Number of Saabs currently owned: 4

Postby squaab99t » Wed Jun 26, 2013 9:44 pm

DrewP wrote:That's a looooong drive for ~12 minutes of track time....

I will definitely try to make it out to something out there eventually, you can count on it!

Isn't SOC in Oregon or Washington state next year? Maybe something driving related will get organized for that again, would be a blast if any of you make it out here!

Redmond Oregon to be exact.
http://www.nwsoc.org/SOC2014.htm
Mezzanine, 99Sven and I help in 2004 with setting up an autocross. Scanwest was the sponsor, renting and hauling the cones up to Crystal mountain ski resort.
From Jon Williams's album
Manning the start line
Hans
Scanwest's rally car
Gary Wolff
We will see if we can pull something like that off again. Might be a bit more liability with this place.

99sven

Postby 99sven » Fri Jul 12, 2013 1:31 am

Oh man. That is Rob Walden and I at the start line in the first photo. I can't believe that ten years have nearly gone by since then. Central OR will be a fun place for a convention.
Gregg Cronn

Mezzanine
Number of Saabs currently owned: 4

Postby Mezzanine » Fri Jul 12, 2013 8:26 am

Gregg, I think that is me standing at the start line with you in the first pic... I don't remember Rob working the autocross.

Return to “News and Events”