Duryea Hillclimb 2013

Post updates/results of SAABs in racing
SwedeSport
Number of Saabs currently owned: 5

Duryea Hillclimb 2013

Postby SwedeSport » Fri Aug 16, 2013 10:07 am

Duryea Hillclimb is this weekend, If by chance you are not heading to SOC, you can come watch myself and Gary Reider attack the mountain in Reading PA.

As always, it is free to spectate, and there are food vendors in the pit area. As well as a car show in the city park.
Swedesport Motors, Apparel and Accessories for SAAB Junkies.
Http://Facebook.com/swedesportmotors
Swedesportmotors@gmail.com

DeLorean
Number of Saabs currently owned: 9

Re: Duryea Hillclimb 2013

Postby DeLorean » Sun Aug 18, 2013 9:42 pm

looking forward to hearing the results!
Less brake more gas!

gmreider
Number of Saabs currently owned: 6

Postby gmreider » Mon Aug 19, 2013 9:04 am

Here's how Duryea went down for Team SAAB. We had seven cars in the class, a 300hp Chevy Cobalt SS, a Mazda 3 with 220hp at the wheels , my 900s with T-5 and turbo, a 2002 Mini w/ supercharger, Swedesport with his 86 8-valve modified 2.1 motor and 2 drivers in a VW Scirocco.
The Cobalt had everyone by almost 9 seconds, the Mazda had me by about 2.5 seconds, The Mini was .010 seconds behind me , Swedesport was just behind the Mini and the 2 driver VW was 6th and seventh several seconds back . Sunday, it rained all day. everyone in the class ran slower, but we all went out and played and no one bent a car. the guys in our class are all friendly and we pitted together and had a good sporting weekend.
MY personal goal was to better my last years time when I was box stock by at least 20 seconds. I beat it by 22+ seconds. I really need a limited slip with the new HP. Until the actual radar speeds are posted, I crossed the finish a few times around 100-105 mph. That's 18 mph faster than last year.

Jordan
Site Admin

Postby Jordan » Mon Aug 19, 2013 9:21 am

That's great Gary and Jason!

I met someone with a Quaife this weekend , or I have a cheap(er) alternative to buying a Quaife for a c900.

SwedeSport

Postby SwedeSport » Mon Aug 19, 2013 12:05 pm

I bitched up my first run by nearly looping the car. Cold tires, cold pavement, and a heavy foot. I am kind of embarrassed to admit that it was in the very first turn...

I ended up getting 2 more runs on the dry day. Second run was 1 second better than last years best, and the 3rd run netted a 4 second improvement over 2012.
Had the weather held out Sunday, I may have been able to better that. There were to be no records on Sunday in the rain, but I was able to go out there and chop 4-5 seconds off my times every run. I did not see my time for my last run of the day, but it felt good.
Last edited by SwedeSport on Mon Aug 19, 2013 9:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Geoff
Team Turbo Troll Crew
Nickname: Geoff

Postby Geoff » Mon Aug 19, 2013 12:13 pm

Sounds like a pretty successful and fun time! It's a little bit of a bummer that the NA guys have to run against the forced induction cars but at least you're all just there to have fun in your car and improve upon your own personal best.

Jordan wrote:I met someone with a Quaife this weekend , or I have a cheap(er) alternative to buying a Quaife for a c900.

What are you saying, fit a Quaife for another car into a SAAB?
The kind of dirty that doesn't wash off :eyebrows:

gmreider

Postby gmreider » Mon Aug 19, 2013 2:25 pm

Geoff, It is a street legal modified Front wheel class. formula is displacement vs minimum weight limits ,plus a 1.4 x displacement penalty for turbo or supercharger. The VW weights less than 2000 lbs. My 900 weighs about 2650+ , and Jason was doing ok until I started to get HP and the Mini started throwing $$ in the car.
Still we try to have fun, but winning is better!
If Jason is agreeable, we are going to work on some upgrades. He still excels in driving more than I do. I just starting to get brave and crazy.

Jordan says a 9000 Quaife unit can be adapted to a c900.
Last edited by gmreider on Wed Aug 21, 2013 6:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

SwedeSport

Postby SwedeSport » Mon Aug 19, 2013 3:04 pm

I started out building an ITB car, but when I lunched the stock motor, and installed the 2.1 8v mill, I fell into SMF.

My car is definitely outclassed in SMF... I brought a knife to a gun fight so to speak.

Jordan
Site Admin

Postby Jordan » Mon Aug 19, 2013 3:14 pm

Yes, for some reason the C9000 (-93) are $500 cheaper from Abbott. and can be made to work. Requires a little time on the lathe and you have to modify a driver, but they seem to hold up just fine.

DeLorean

Postby DeLorean » Tue Aug 20, 2013 2:15 am

Sounds great! Gary, did you get Trionic pin 69 wired to your wideband yet? You have some more power waiting there once we get those AFR's a bit better. Once you get an LSD in there, I think you should be able to reel that Mazda in pretty easily :thumbsup: Do you think the 2.1 liter would hold up to having a larger turbo? ;)

Glad everything went well, Gary OR Jason, either of you need anything to get more competitive, I want to help out any way I can. I have my roll bar almost installed in the SPG... so you know what that means!
Less brake more gas!

SwedeSport

Postby SwedeSport » Tue Aug 20, 2013 9:05 am

DeLorean wrote:Glad everything went well, Gary OR Jason, either of you need anything to get more competitive, I want to help out any way I can. I have my roll bar almost installed in the SPG... so you know what that means!

Wouldn't happen to have a spare hundred HP laying around the compound?

Might want to talk to one of the PHA scrutineers about the harness mounts and such. I had to jump thru some hoops to make them happy with the layout.

DeLorean

Postby DeLorean » Tue Aug 20, 2013 11:16 pm

Well, yes in fact Jason we have the power laying around... But you need to do some pre modifications ;) You can sharpen that knife into an excellent throwing knife if you do it right! I think a 16V turbo is going to have to be the way to go. Add Trionic, a reasonably large turbo, and if you want to go really crazy a T5 head... and you would be there. If you wanted to go that route, Gary and I can help you with wiring, and Paul H and I can tune it too. What I am planning on doing with my SPG is leaving it as a derivable car, while building a "deadly weapon" motor in my spare time, starting with an old running turbo motor from an 87 900-T. It's getting a T5 head equal length header, LSD, and a whole bunch of other goodies that should make it really rip. One weekend, I can just exchange power plants. I can find you a nice junk yard motor if you need, come to Joes ez pull some week and we could tear it out in an hour or so. you'd be out the door for $150. I'm betting you could build the whole motor for under 1K, not including any sort of transmission work... you WOULD need an LSD to apply the power properly. (wait... I think you have one yes?)

No guarantees on transmission life though with that set up... But you would have the extra 100 HP.

I will converse with Gary about exactly what I need to do there with the harness set up. Hey, if it looks identical to his, I think it should do the trick.
Less brake more gas!

SwedeSport

Postby SwedeSport » Wed Aug 21, 2013 9:32 am

Well,

I have 5 SAABS in total,
86 8v NA
84 Notchback 16v Turbo T5
85 900 16v Turbo T5
89 900T sedan T5
71 99 16v Turbo T5

I was really hoping to have the Notchback project ready to run the hills at the start of 2014 season, but there has been no progress on that in a while. That would be my hillclimb monster so to speak. I am shooting for 250-300 horsepower in the long run.

The 85T and 89T are street cars, and while it may be fun to beat them at an AutoX, I have no plans to hillcllimb either car.

The 71 99 is just a shell. I have made little to no progress on it in years as I have been sidetracked by these other projects. I have yet to even start a build thread for this car, as I would have to use a garden rake to clean the dust off this one. Long and short of this project is that I will prepare the shell to accept all the development that I am putting into the 86 8v, and the 84 Notchback. As with all race cars, eventually the shells get rusty, scratched, crashed, and otherwise used up. When that happens, I plan to take all the stuff I learned from the 84 and 86 race cars, and put the best of it all into the 99. The T5 16v mill from the notch will probably end up in it. It will be a street car, that I can take to the track, and hillclimb. I would also like to go out west with it and run a Silver State open road race.

Now since I have 4 other T5 16v Turbo cars, I had always figured to keep the 86 an 8v powerplant. I am on my 3rd motor in it, and each time it evolves into something better. First was the stock motor. When I blew that I put a .075 shaved 8v head on an 87 16v bottom end, added a header and exhaust. It was an improvement, but I kept blowing up the valvetrain. Every autocross resulted in a handful of broken lifters. When the main and rod bearings had enough, I built the 2.1 motor with the rally head off RallyHo's car. Again a big improvement. Dyno figures are 110 at the wheels. And I see 8k on the tach every time I drive it, and the MSS hardened lifters, dual valve springs, and oiling mods are absolutely doing their job. I really like the idea of the NA 8v motor that will keep up with a turbo.

What I had in mind motor wise for this is a 2.5 stroker, using the big 8v head and a custom cam, and utilize the MSS sidedraft manifold to install a set of ITB's. I dunno if T5 could be set up to control the fuel injection? If I do the math correctly, the budget for this project would need to be 4-5 grand. Pretty salty for an 8v motor...

At least I have the chassis and suspension in the 86 8v pretty well sorted at the moment. And yes,... the Quaife is THE SHIT!
Last edited by SwedeSport on Wed Aug 21, 2013 9:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Geoff
Team Turbo Troll Crew
Nickname: Geoff

Postby Geoff » Wed Aug 21, 2013 11:26 am

DeLorean wrote:What I am planning on doing with my SPG is leaving it as a derivable car,

The kind of dirty that doesn't wash off :eyebrows:

Return to “News and Events”