Jefferson Circuit, WV Timetrial event

Post updates/results of SAABs in racing
DeLorean
Number of Saabs currently owned: 9

Jefferson Circuit, WV Timetrial event

Postby DeLorean » Sun May 25, 2014 9:02 pm

Gary, Paul H and I are just back from this event. Personally, I loved it. We all got a lot of seat time, and it was a very close and competitive event. Between the 3 Saabs, we ran almost? 60 laps, no major failures. Lots of fun. I managed to get 3rd place in SMF, (& the fastest Saab) about 1 second behind 2nd place, and about 2.5 seconds behind 1st place. I did also beat a lot of others not in our class, but... that's just a bonus ;)

I'd love to hear Gary & Pauls impression of the event. I know Paul was a little down on power, and Gary was trying to figure out what lines were best for him - he kept improving, but I think my power down the straight sections (I was cracking 115 on the gauge) was really making my 88 SPG a hard target for the other Saabs. I think if Gary had another 10 laps, or we all had another day, Gary would eventually gotten by me with the notchback he's built, it IS a better car than what I was working with. It was a very fast course and lots of power was a good thing to have... which I did. Cranking down the 1st straight, into the 1st turn, I was freaking scary fast. Fun fun fun though.

Team Saab will be back. I think 1st and 2nd in SMF can be caught in at least a few events by the classic 900's if we work at it.
Less brake more gas!

gmreider
Number of Saabs currently owned: 6

Re: Jefferson Circuit, WV Timetrial event

Postby gmreider » Mon May 26, 2014 8:00 am

Well here are my impressions on the event. We had 7 cars in the class here. That is a big showing with the very fastest car from last year and a father/son team with a V-6 Golf that is really set up to run. I knew from the entry list that my goal was limited to beating my times at this track from last year. Having three SAABs here was shocking to the event organizers. We had a lot of comments all weekend.
I was most impressed my Jeff and Paul and am proud to be allowed to hang out with all you SAAB Rally guys. I had always heard that Jeff's car had some guts and it does. Paul took my 2013 green car and within a few laps was beating my times from last year by 4 + seconds. Remember that I was the only SAAB with a limited slip. Paul and Jeff were out there spinning wheels.
I expected the Cobalt to take the lead, and the VW Golf to be second with the son driving. Past that I had no clue were I would wind up, but I wanted badly to beat my last years times. Without the final times in front of me for the class, I went about 7 + seconds faster than last year. Paul was about five seconds faster than I was in the same car last year. The Mini that beat me last year was about 2 seconds faster than last year.

I'll post the results once there are available, but the Cobalt was first , the VW golf 2nd , then Jeff 3rd, the VW golf ( father driving) 4th, then me about .4 second behind him and then Paul H close behind and then last years winner here at this event , the Mini.

I have always struggled at this event, but that is no excuse. The red car is pretty quick and I usually do better uphill, so we will see.
When Jeff gets his LSD and Paul gets his 99 together and we get tires sorted out, PHA will remember these 3 SAABs.
The year is just starting !! Just wish I was 30 again and a bit more fearless. Jeff and Paul impress the hell out of me !!

Jordan
Site Admin

Postby Jordan » Mon May 26, 2014 10:52 am

Sounds like a blast guys. Next year I hope to join you at some of these events!

gmreider

Postby gmreider » Mon May 26, 2014 3:36 pm

Jordan wrote:Sounds like a blast guys. Next year I hope to join you at some of these events!

OK Jordan, we are going to hold you to that statement. The more SAAB's the better !!

DeLorean

Postby DeLorean » Mon May 26, 2014 9:45 pm

gmreider wrote:Just wish I was 30 again and a bit more fearless. Jeff and Paul impress the hell out of me !!

Well thanks! I am not fearless, but... in a track situation where I have some run-off - I can GO for it. When there are trees, rocks and guard rails... well, we'll see, I might get the piss scared out of me. I am probably going to be a bit more conservative. At the same time....... I will have a better car, if I get this thing together. My plan? I'm not taking the working car apart. But.... there is a 94 turbo vert at Joes EZ pull with 112K, which I know has a good engine. I will put my "cobalt SS destroyer" drive train together, and then if I get it in there, and if I have the guts, I might be able to catch the cobalt SS for 1st.

It might be beneficial if all 3 of us take some sort of driving instruction course. I think I have my entry and exit speeds right most of the time if I can keep from locking up, but... lines in and out of turns were always a bit of a question for me. Shortest distance Vs the longest turn possible- which holds the most speed through the turn, the amount of bank, the feel of the car and traction levels are always a bit of a question for me till I am through the turn, many many times.
Less brake more gas!

gmreider

Postby gmreider » Tue May 27, 2014 9:09 pm

100_1840.JPG
Official times as promised: Cobalt 1st @ 60.391, VW GTI V-6 2nd @ 61.421 , Delorean SAAB 3rd @ 62.462, VW GTI V-6 4th @ 63.610, Gary SAAB 5th @ 63.990, PaulH SAAB 6th @ 65.228, and Last years winner a 02 Mini Cooper S 7th @ 65.518.

a few shots of the unofficial TEAM SAAB line up. :yay: :yay:
That's Delorean in the #31 car and Paul H in the loaner car # 313 and me in the # 13 Notch
Attachments
100_1839.JPG
100_1836.JPG

DeLorean

Postby DeLorean » Fri May 30, 2014 2:20 am

I should probably do some sort of "build thread" on my 88 SPG...... But, where do I start? It's been around the block a hundred times... have owned it since 02.

But, after this 3rd place run in class, being so close. Well.... I went to Joes yesterday. There was a 94 900-t vert there with an engine, just over 100K on it. Sticker in the left front screen jived with the gauge cluster, it had oil changes. Good enough for me, Saab engine, had it's oil changed, 100K on the thing. Good one. Got it out, and sitting in the back of my SPG in about an hour. $124 out the door. - yes. I use the "racecar" as a parts hauler still. Ha ha. ha. increased the air in the rear bags, and it handles it perfectly still. I can haul an engine in the trunk FAST! if need be. The thing has been dead reliable since the last overhaul.

Anyway, the plan? I have the 4 speed trans with the gripper diff installed ready to go (thanks to Gary for the help setting that up properly). I have the low mileage turbo block. I will check the rod bearings and if it's fine, it goes in as is, un touched. T5 head, equal length header, Lukes parts to make it work... and a Mitsu 19T turbo. Should still have the spool up, but the big power at the top. It's already T5, but I need the larger injectors, and some further suspension mods + a correct performance alignment. And then... Well, we'll see what a properly set up C-900 can do.
Less brake more gas!

Adrian Thompson
Number of Saabs currently owned: 1

Postby Adrian Thompson » Thu Jan 22, 2015 2:46 pm

DeLorean wrote:I should probably do some sort of "build thread" on my 88 SPG...... But, where do I start? It's been around the block a hundred times... have owned it since 02.

Dragging this up from the depths. Yes please. Put up a build thread of some sort.
Project Loki - 88 900C - future TSD, Rallycross and track day toy

Return to “News and Events”