Pagoda Hill climb Reading PA June 28-29

Post updates/results of SAABs in racing
gmreider
Number of Saabs currently owned: 6

Pagoda Hill climb Reading PA June 28-29

Postby gmreider » Tue Jun 17, 2014 11:04 am

For those of you in PA , NJ, Delaware , Next weekend is Pagoda Hill climb in Reading PA. This is a big SCCA Time Trial event.
This year for the first time in Many, many years there are 4 SAAB cars entered all in the same class. All of us are SAAB Rally folks and the competition will be fierce, as there are 11 cars in the class total. We'll be glad to see any supporters !!

SwedeSport
Number of Saabs currently owned: 5

Re: Pagoda Hill climb Reading PA June 28-29

Postby SwedeSport » Tue Jun 17, 2014 11:45 am

It's actually 2 weekends away... The 28th, 29th.

I am thinking I may make a really short run of SAAB MAAB tee shirts for the event if I have time.

Probably the largest showing of SAAB's at any event in quite a while.

Gary, myself, Paul, and Jeff.
Swedesport Motors, Apparel and Accessories for SAAB Junkies.
Http://Facebook.com/swedesportmotors
Swedesportmotors@gmail.com

tweek's Turbos
Number of Saabs currently owned: 3

Postby tweek's Turbos » Tue Jun 17, 2014 2:05 pm

I could come up for just the Fri/Sat I have to be back in VA on Sunday.

gmreider

Postby gmreider » Tue Jun 17, 2014 4:00 pm

Thanks for catching that Jason. I had the right dates ,but expressed the weekend thing incorrectly.

BIRDIEMANGO
Nickname: BIRDIE
Number of Saabs currently owned: 8

Postby BIRDIEMANGO » Sat Jun 28, 2014 4:01 am

PICTURES/VIDEOS WHEN YOU ARE READY....? :lol:
CARLSSON TO BLOMQVIST......

''WHAT IS THIS TERRIBLE THING YOU HAVE TAUGHT YOURSELF,YOU MUST UNLEARN IT.....''

LEFT FOOT BRAKING

DeLorean
Number of Saabs currently owned: 9

Postby DeLorean » Sun Jun 29, 2014 7:57 pm

I had Great time here today, Just felt like posting - I am beat though. I was either 5th or 6th (I forget already) in SMF, and again the quickest Saab. Apparently I must have got a pretty good time on one of the last few runs, as I thought my best run was a 97.x and at the awards they said I had a 95.x, so no complaints there for my first time on the hill. I was a bit freaked though, was really turning some speed on the straight section between turn 5 and 6, and I was never able to NOT lift the gas when I probably should have been flat, also I was spinning spinning spinning. But it still went good though. I think I shaved about 8 seconds off over the several runs up, so I call it a personal win. I also had a lot of fun, no damage here. Drove the 900 to the hill and back on the road, car didn't even shrug. SMF class was not crash free though, we will have some work to do in the near future...
Less brake more gas!

SwedeSport

Postby SwedeSport » Sun Jun 29, 2014 8:24 pm

Yeah, it was a great time in spite of a few minor glitches.

I improved last year's time by a second with only minor changes to the car. Need more grip, more, brake, an more HP. SMF is a tough place to be in an NA 8v car. But I'm having fun, and improving as a driver. I'll write up a post about my event after I catch up on some sleep.

Jeff and Paul progressed well this weekend. I expect both to be a challenge to try and beat.

Gary overcame some obstacles this weekend, but still managed to get some good runs on the books.

Giants Despair is the next event in the series. Then Polish Mountain, Duryea, Fall Weatherly, and finally Jefferson Circuit. I plan to run Polish, Duryea, and Weatherly.

paulh
Number of Saabs currently owned: 2

Postby paulh » Mon Jun 30, 2014 9:56 am

Yes, great weekend, the 99 did well for its first run out, but I was way down on power, suspect due to not enough intercooling, and had a bit of a mechanical issue that became obvious on sunday. Seems that I forgot to tighten, or didnt sufficiently tighten the crank pulley bolt, which eventually backed itself off, and sheared the key off the crankshaft. Missed a few runs in the afternoon due to that, but made a half-assed fix that allowed for a final run on sunday, which apparently bumped me out of last place into second to last, so I was happy about that. Even drove it back home, though the belt fell off about a mile from home, so it was a bit hot by the time I pulled into the driveway. Can't wait to resolve the issues I had and come back swinging, I think this car is going to be a force to be reckoned with once it starts making some power.

Paul

gmreider

Postby gmreider » Mon Jun 30, 2014 11:51 am

WELL I had fun too! Even though I was the SMF car that crashed big time! Turn 6-7 strikes again. The red car is pretty bent up, but this AM I was already talking to a frame shop and looking over my fender collection etc. I crashed on Saturday on the first run. Too much speed to early ! On Sunday my good friend Joe Keech trashed his 2002 Mini Cooper S just past where I did on Saturday. He was also a SMF car. Sunday the event organizers let me bring the 2012-2013 Green car. I was a little shaky on the first run , but by days end went faster than my best time of last year in the same car. The "SAAB Nation" as the announcer has been calling us will be back. It was great to have all 4 of us together. I am going to Giant's despair HC in 2 weeks with the green car. I may be the only SAAAB there unless Jeff is ready to go again. Giants is a good hill for a big turbo. I might rob the LSD trans from "Red" for a little while will the rebuild process starts. I'll have some photos later.

Jordan
Site Admin

Postby Jordan » Mon Jun 30, 2014 12:53 pm

Ouch. Glad to hear you made it out ok. I'm sure the car will live again.

BIRDIEMANGO
Nickname: BIRDIE
Number of Saabs currently owned: 8

Postby BIRDIEMANGO » Mon Jun 30, 2014 1:37 pm

SOUNDS LIKE YOU HAD A BLAST,BUT WHAT DOES 'SMF' STAND FOR... :dunno:
CARLSSON TO BLOMQVIST......

''WHAT IS THIS TERRIBLE THING YOU HAVE TAUGHT YOURSELF,YOU MUST UNLEARN IT.....''

LEFT FOOT BRAKING

gmreider

Postby gmreider » Mon Jun 30, 2014 1:42 pm

Street ( as in street legal) Modified Front wheel drive. any DOT tire , almost any engine / trans mods, need heaters, interior trim , headliner. Some of the cars in the class are producing 300HP @ the wheels. Not us SAABs just yet though.

hutch
Number of Saabs currently owned: 2

Postby hutch » Mon Jun 30, 2014 4:26 pm

Oh no, that sucks! :bawl:

Let me know if you want any help repainting it, I may still have a can of the firetruck paint laying around. :thumbsup:

gmreider

Postby gmreider » Mon Jun 30, 2014 7:18 pm

Yes , we have been evaluating the damage already and I am almost sure we can save the car without breaking the bank.
Having finally crashed while racing around, it almost takes away the need to worry about doing it. I hit pretty hard and I was Ok, Thanks to the sturdy SAAB of course !!

SwedeSport

Postby SwedeSport » Mon Jun 30, 2014 10:10 pm

Very similar damage to my wreck a few years back. IMHO it can be pulled out and patched up.

It could theoretically be pulled and driveable again with a few hours on the frame rack. It doesn't have to be pretty to beat the snot out of it.

Return to “News and Events”