Freezeout Hillclimb 2014

Post updates/results of SAABs in racing
99Super
Number of Saabs currently owned: 13

Freezeout Hillclimb 2014

Postby 99Super » Mon Jun 23, 2014 10:14 pm

Competed in the Freezeout Hillclimb this past weekend and I'm really happy with the Car.
I bested my previous best time by over 4 seconds, pulling a 1:43.6??. That's more than a 4 second improvement over my previous fastest time.
By comparison, the TToD was in a borrowed EVO at 1:33 and change. The fastest in my class was a 1:39.???.

There was only 1 major casualty this event, a Lotus Exige that lost it over "Air Bump", launching itself over a 4 foot berm and sliding 200 feet to the bottom of the ravine. Sprained wrist for the driver, but the car may be a total loss.

The engine pulled massively with the T5 and just worked perfectly both days. I'm really happy with it.

The turnout was a bit low as the Idaho Rally was this weekend and we lost several of our regular driver's too it, but the local Evo club showed up and helped fill the grid. We also had a really nicely prepared VW Jetta stop by on his way to Pike's Peak.

I think I have all the HP I can handle right now, back to suspension and tires!

FrankRFT5.jpg

gmreider
Number of Saabs currently owned: 6

Re: Freezeout Hillclimb 2014

Postby gmreider » Tue Jun 24, 2014 7:18 am

Good Going !! :yay: :yay: It is always great to best your last years times. That is always my first goal when I show up at an event. After that, it's time to work on the technical driving stuff.
When I went from a stock 900S to a T-5 turbo version, plus better tires in the same car, I dropped almost 22 seconds at the same event. Now It's a lot harder to carve the times down.
Are these events on asphalt or dirt? I'd like to here more about the way you guys set up events out west?

Geoff
Team Turbo Troll Crew
Nickname: Geoff

Postby Geoff » Tue Jun 24, 2014 11:29 am

Wow, 4% is a pretty good improvement. Only 10 more to go to beat FTD!
The kind of dirty that doesn't wash off :eyebrows:

99Super

Postby 99Super » Tue Jun 24, 2014 4:47 pm

Geoff wrote:Wow, 4% is a pretty good improvement. Only 10 more to go to beat FTD!

:rolleyes: I'm damn happy to beat 1:44.00! That is the current DSP record (I'm in SMF now, but raced Frank in DSP for years).
My next goal is to break 2:00 at Bogus Basin. That would be a 4% improvement as well, but a course where I can better utilize my power.

http://www.nhahillclimb.org/Maps.html

All the course maps are here. Interestingly, the Google picture of Freezeout was taken on Race Day! You can see all the cars in the pit area.
The courses are all asphalt, and somewhat loosely (but safely) run. Classes are loosely based on SCCA, but w/ many unique classes to promote innovation and save money. Surfaces can be super smooth (Maryhill) to very aged. All are challenging, but usually less than 2.5 miles.
Bogus Basin and Freezeout are my home events, but Maryhill is rapidly becoming one of my favorite events.

gmreider

Postby gmreider » Wed Jun 25, 2014 5:34 am

Those are some impressive looking courses. I would be interested in knowing the distances of each in length. OUr longest course is about 2.2 miles and we have several short ones just over a mile. In Penna. we also use SCCA rules and sanction. Are rules are a bit tougher on Safety items like roll bars and cages and we all wear nomex suits etc. I run my SAAB in SMF also. We should compare car specs some time.

99Super

Postby 99Super » Wed Jun 25, 2014 9:13 am

Absolutely! I just found out I may get an 86 900 2-door project I started years ago (and lost, long story) back! Maybe the core of a new racer.
Bogus, just out my back door, is 2.25 miles (pretty average), Freezeout is 1.65 miles (considered a short course). Maryhill is right at 2 miles. Not sure about the California/Oregon sites. Pioneer, in MT was very long and very fast, but remote enough that it didn't last.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6WcAmB_36yk

No cages required, SNELL helmets, long sleeve / long pants (all cotton) minimum. Cages, suits, harness, etc., encouraged.

DeLorean
Number of Saabs currently owned: 9

Postby DeLorean » Thu Jun 26, 2014 10:16 am

Sounds like a fun time. Love the 16V T5 99's. The best of Saabs 1960's 1970's 1980's and 1990's technology all on one package :lol: I do agree about the power being "enough", to an extent... If we get a group buy going on some custom coil-overs that can really stiffen things up to a ridiculous amount, we might start thinking... Hmm. I could use another 50 to 100 HP to really BLAST down the straights. You get to thinking... where I was doing 90, I could crack 120 :thumbsup:
Less brake more gas!

BIRDIEMANGO
Nickname: BIRDIE
Number of Saabs currently owned: 8

Postby BIRDIEMANGO » Sat Jun 28, 2014 3:56 am

99Super wrote:The courses are all asphalt, and somewhat loosely (but safely) run. Classes are loosely based on SCCA, but w/ many unique classes to promote innovation and save money. Surfaces can be super smooth (Maryhill) to very aged. All are challenging, but usually less than 2.5 miles.
Bogus Basin and Freezeout are my home events, but Maryhill is rapidly becoming one of my favorite events.

SOUNDS LIKE YOU HAD A GOOD DAY :thumbsup:

I AM ALWAYS HAPPY,AS LONG AS THE 99&ENGINE IS STILL IN ONE PIECE......

I TRIED TO REASON WITH OUR 'MOTOR SPORTS ASSOCIATION' AND CONVINCE THEM, THAT MY CONCEPTION OF BUILDING A UNIQUE 99 2 DOOR 'TWURBO' WITH AN ENGINE IN THE FRONT,AND ONE IN THE BACK...TO GIVE 350 -400 BHP.......COULD BE DONE....

SADLY HERE IN THE UK,THE 'RACMSA' GOVERNING BODY HAVE ALL BUT OUTLAWED 'ONE-OFF' SPECIALS,FOR HILLCLIMBING AND RALLYING..... STIFLING INNOVATION,AND THE 'CLUBMAN' WHO CAN ACTUALLY DO IT.....

THEY SEEM TO WAN'T EVERYBODY TO BE 'PIGEON-HOLED' INTO SPECIFIC CLASSES.......A FOUR WHEEL DRIVE,TWIN-ENGINED 99 TWURBO WAS NOT WANTED.... :ranting: :crazy:
CARLSSON TO BLOMQVIST......

''WHAT IS THIS TERRIBLE THING YOU HAVE TAUGHT YOURSELF,YOU MUST UNLEARN IT.....''

LEFT FOOT BRAKING

99Super

Postby 99Super » Sat Jun 28, 2014 10:17 pm

We love one-offs and unique cars!
DMOD.jpg
DMOD.jpg (81.03 KiB) Viewed 6990 times

P6213558.jpg
P6213558.jpg (148.48 KiB) Viewed 6990 times

homebuilt1.jpg
homebuilt1.jpg (60.51 KiB) Viewed 6990 times

SubiePower.jpg
SubiePower.jpg (73.05 KiB) Viewed 6990 times

VeeeDub.jpg
VeeeDub.jpg (160.8 KiB) Viewed 6990 times

Mini.jpg
Mini.jpg (153.94 KiB) Viewed 6990 times

Sometime mistakes happen...
Wrecked Lotus.jpg
Wrecked Lotus.jpg (107.56 KiB) Viewed 6990 times

BIRDIEMANGO
Nickname: BIRDIE
Number of Saabs currently owned: 8

Postby BIRDIEMANGO » Sun Jun 29, 2014 4:17 pm

EXCELLENT,LOVE THE BACKDROP......
CARLSSON TO BLOMQVIST......

''WHAT IS THIS TERRIBLE THING YOU HAVE TAUGHT YOURSELF,YOU MUST UNLEARN IT.....''

LEFT FOOT BRAKING

Return to “News and Events”