Jefferson circuit 2015 SCCA track Trial

Post updates/results of SAABs in racing
gmreider
Number of Saabs currently owned: 6

Jefferson circuit 2015 SCCA track Trial

Postby gmreider » Sun May 31, 2015 11:42 am

You will find a 2014 report in the index and here is the 0115 update :
Jeff ( delorean) and myself (gmreider) hauled on down to Summit point raceway to see if we had improved any. Jeff has his SPG with a TDo4 16T and 22 PSI and I took RED the 86 900 notch that I had just installed a Garrett Gt28RS ball bearing turbo on. OUR class SMF ( street modified front wheel drive ) is a sort of free for all within a street legal car class.
We have Hondas with Accura motors and some with Turbos and they weigh 2100-2200 lbs, VR 6 VW golfs with turbos that supposedly put out 458 HP @ 14-16psi at the wheels ?? then us die hard SAAB guys just trying hard. jeff and I went faster than last year and as usual Jeff beat me, but the 2 Honda's were 1-2 , the VW was 3rd, Jeff was 4th , I was 5th and the older driver (still younger than me) in the same VW was 6th.
It took some time for me to get used to the added power of the GT28and the torque steer when spooling up and shifting.
As a real test of the car, I put Jeff in my car after he wore his tires down to the cord and he went faster than me after 3 laps.
We'll see if they do as well when we get to the first Hill Climb in 2 weeks.

All photo credit is to Mike Vanino Photography from Reading PA . Mike is a member of our local SCCA region. Go online and find his web site. He has many great action shots .
Attachments
9948937_orig.jpg
2147958_orig.jpg
9958007_orig.jpg

DeLorean
Number of Saabs currently owned: 9

Re: Jefferson circuit 2015 SCCA track Trial

Postby DeLorean » Tue Jun 02, 2015 12:29 am

This was a great event as usual. I think if I had a little more time with red, I would have done better. Timing was funny with this (I corded a tire and was unable to keep running the SPG, after switching cars to Garys red car- as he mentioned) I could not beat the my times in the SPG with Garys red car (but with only 3 runs, (2 timed) and the last, and best, being VERY hot). In the SPG, last I looked before the timing re-set, I was running 31 our of 80 overall, and I was not all that far off any of the leaders in SMF which I won't complain about at all...

My SPG needs a turbo seal kit (at least) suspension bushings, shocks, and higher spring rate springs... and an LSD. I am confident if I get all those things, I will have the equipment to really make a serious push toward 1st in SMF. As it sits, it really rips down the straight parts, but I am just getting beat up in the corners & trying to pull out or corners is often a smoke show.

I think Garys red car is just great, but needs some road-tuning to get that GT28RSBB to really go. Both our cars need more spring rate. I bet we have the best riding cars on track! :dunno: Some of the videos I was watching where it looked bumpy in other cars... I was like "huu, that's not bumpy at all in my car"
Less brake more gas!

hutch
Number of Saabs currently owned: 2

Postby hutch » Tue Jun 02, 2015 7:42 am

Looks good as always, I'm hoping I'll be able to make it to one or both of the Reading hill climbs this year...

Jeff is that a gopro on your windshield or some sort of radar detector? Would be cool to see what these look like from inside some time.

gmreider
Number of Saabs currently owned: 6

Postby gmreider » Thu Jun 04, 2015 4:41 pm

Hutch , I have some Go PRO video from both the lemons car @ NJ motor sports park and both Jeff and I in the red car @ Summit point.
they are big files and I don't know how to post them. Not up on the technical stuff, so if you can tell me what to do , maybe I can post them.
Either way, when I see you , remind me to show tem to you.

Return to “News and Events”