New Hampshire Lemons race

Post updates/results of SAABs in racing
DeLorean
Number of Saabs currently owned: 9

Re: New Hampshire Lemons race

Postby DeLorean » Tue Oct 27, 2015 12:23 pm

That thing was awesome, I was running with him for several laps sticking behind him while he would clear a nice line. That was untill the MR2 that was wearing a Vanagon hat crashed into him and put him into a concrete wall...
Less brake more gas!

gmreider
Number of Saabs currently owned: 6

Postby gmreider » Tue Oct 27, 2015 12:37 pm

While I was hauling the #13 car home , I was thinking maybe a N/A car running in class B would last longer and be " some fun". This past weekend was really fun to be with all the guys and of course the free Italian dinner was great :thumbsup: , but I spent a lot of prep time, hauling time and now will be rebuilding time and a lot of money. The cost of almost zero seat time is painful. :crazy:

Luke
Site Admin

Postby Luke » Tue Oct 27, 2015 1:37 pm

gmreider wrote:While I was hauling the #13 car home , I was thinking maybe a N/A car running in class B would last longer and be " some fun". This past weekend was really fun to be with all the guys and of course the free Italian dinner was great :thumbsup: , but I spent a lot of prep time, hauling time and now will be rebuilding time and a lot of money. The cost of almost zero seat time is painful. :crazy:

My brief experience with Lemons was that the power was really nice because there was such a disparity in the driver talent and in car prep, and in general the track was such a hot mess of cars it was really nice to be a get out of traffic easily with a little boost. :rock on: After I wrecked Norman, I saw kip go out in the black 900 notch which was NA and he was still passing nearly everyone left and right, but he's a maniac.

DeLorean

Postby DeLorean » Tue Oct 27, 2015 1:46 pm

Kip is an awesome driver, no doubt about that. I sure felt bad that you didn't get any seat time aside from practice day :-( I do have high hopes for next year though, maybe we could even take it to a few hills or autoX's if we get it back together this winter.
Less brake more gas!

gmreider

Postby gmreider » Tue Oct 27, 2015 5:56 pm

Hey Luke, I think of Norman almost wrecking you , not you wrecking Norman. The cars are supposed to be the "disposable items".
I have to agree that once you drive a car with some power, it's hard not to miss it .

Jordan
Site Admin

Postby Jordan » Tue Oct 27, 2015 6:22 pm

As a tribute to Luke's mishap at the wheel, our collapsible column broke at bearing mount this time after a light bump from an E36...note to self. Remove collapsible column on race cars.

DeLorean

Postby DeLorean » Tue Oct 27, 2015 6:23 pm

My feeling is that if we wanted to run a slower car with dead reliability, we should use a Diesel Mercedes, not a classic 900... I really like the 900 in every other respect than the trans, We can make this thing reliable & have the power, but it's not going to be free, that's for sure... But I think it can be done. I think the set up we have & the drivers we have can get into the top 20 if we have a gearset that won't explode ;)
Less brake more gas!

Crazyswede
Team Turbo Troll Crew
Nickname: Mongo
Number of Saabs currently owned: 97

Postby Crazyswede » Wed Oct 28, 2015 10:02 am

I am the 73%

tirediron
Number of Saabs currently owned: 7

Postby tirediron » Wed Oct 28, 2015 7:11 pm

jordan, that picture is indeed the car I am talking about. ricky who owns the car lives right down the street from me.

good group of guys. all come from circle track background, very good fabricators too. isn't much on that car for off the shelf parts....
-matt

Jordan
Site Admin

Postby Jordan » Wed Oct 28, 2015 7:34 pm

tirediron wrote:jordan, that picture is indeed the car I am talking about. ricky who owns the car lives right down the street from me.

good group of guys. all come from circle track background, very good fabricators too. isn't much on that car for off the shelf parts....

That car was very fast and looked like it handled extremely well. They were a little too aggressive to make it in lemons, I'm going to guess they spent a lot of time in the penalty box as well as repairs.

tirediron
Number of Saabs currently owned: 7

Postby tirediron » Wed Oct 28, 2015 7:50 pm

pretty much standard procedure for the motionsick motorsports crew. ricky is phenomenal at chassis setup.

welded diff in that car. bit of a handful.

how did the 20 car end up?
-matt

Jordan
Site Admin

Postby Jordan » Wed Oct 28, 2015 8:00 pm

gmreider wrote:While I was hauling the #13 car home , I was thinking maybe a N/A car running in class B would last longer and be " some fun". This past weekend was really fun to be with all the guys and of course the free Italian dinner was great :thumbsup: , but I spent a lot of prep time, hauling time and now will be rebuilding time and a lot of money. The cost of almost zero seat time is painful. :crazy:

I had the same thought a few years ago. A 99 with 16v n/a hot motor..however now that we are getting close to getting the turbo as mechanically as fast and reliable as it has become , I'm glad we stuck with it. Also the level of competition has gotten much higher, our average lap time went down 10 seconds and fastest lap down 3 compared to 3 years ago.

Jordan
Site Admin

Postby Jordan » Wed Oct 28, 2015 8:03 pm

tirediron wrote:pretty much standard procedure for the motionsick motorsports crew. ricky is phenomenal at chassis setup.

welded diff in that car. bit of a handful.

how did the 20 car end up?

We ended up 13th overall out of 110 cars. We had a fluke brake master lockup. That cost us 25 laps. Without that we would probably ended up in a trophy position. Pretty clean and fast driving otherwise.

DeLorean

Postby DeLorean » Thu Oct 29, 2015 12:20 am

You guys did awesome, was that your best finish yet? I only wish we could have kept running...
Less brake more gas!

Jordan
Site Admin

Postby Jordan » Thu Oct 29, 2015 11:53 am

I think that was our best so far in terms of team and car performance. Next year further improvments are already on the schedule.

Return to “News and Events”