BIRDIEMANGO
Nickname: BIRDIE
Number of Saabs currently owned: 8

STIG TO DRIVE THE CLARION 99 TURBO

Postby BIRDIEMANGO » Sun Sep 03, 2017 4:54 am

MORNING CHAPS,

OK, IT'S JUST GONE PUBLIC......

http://rallyday.com/news/what-will-stig ... yday-2017/

I HAVE BEEN INVITED TO TAKE THE 99 TURBO ALONG,TO 'RALLYDAY' HERE IN THE UK....

A GUY, HERE IN YORKSHIRE RUNS 'MALBRAD',HIS NAME IS STEVE,AND HE PREPARES AND RUNS SAAB RALLY CAR'S.HE IS BUILDING A REPLICA OF STIG'S 1971 RAC RALLY WINNING SAAB 96,FOR ANTHER CHAP CALLED IAN.

STIG,WILL HOPEFULLY BE DRIVING BOTH THE 96 AND THE CLARION 99 TURBO,AROUND THE RALLY STAGE....... :thumbsup:

MANY THANKS,TO STEVE,AND IAN OF 'RALLYING HISTORY' CLUB,TO MAKE THIS POSSIBLE(JUST GOT INVITED TO JOIN :lol: )

http://www.rallyinghistory.eu/site/index.php
CARLSSON TO BLOMQVIST......

''WHAT IS THIS TERRIBLE THING YOU HAVE TAUGHT YOURSELF,YOU MUST UNLEARN IT.....''

LEFT FOOT BRAKING

BIRDIEMANGO

Re: STIG TO DRIVE THE CLARION 99 TURBO

Postby BIRDIEMANGO » Wed Nov 01, 2017 1:28 am

JUST OVER A MONTH ON FROM 'RALLYDAY' NOW.....BUT, THOUGHT YOU MIGHT ENJOY THE DAY'S HAPPENINGS...?

http://www.uksaabs.co.uk/UKS/viewtopic. ... &start=140
Attachments
36627172764_a0a5879cbe_b.jpg

''WHAT IS THIS TERRIBLE THING YOU HAVE TAUGHT YOURSELF,YOU MUST UNLEARN IT.....''

LEFT FOOT BRAKING

Geoff
Team Turbo Troll Crew
Nickname: Geoff
Number of Saabs currently owned: 6

Postby Geoff » Tue Nov 07, 2017 9:24 pm

Birdie,
First, congratulations on being the first and last to post to SAABRALLY between the downtime :thumbsup:

I've read though your thread on UKS, that sounds like quite an event! 1000 rally cars in one place? I bet there are barely 1000 rally cars in the US.
It's too bad that Stig never got the chance to drive your car but it sounds like he was having so much fun in the 96 that he ran out of time for the 99! But I'm glad to hear that he is still a skilled conversationalist; ja, ja. :lol:

It's really cool of you to put your son behind the wheel, what a great experience to be there flogging the car with a bunch of the WRC's finest!

And now onto the technical stuff...
The Clarion car was getting a bit warm. There's much deliberation on UKS about it but it didn't seem like too many people whom commented have done much with 99 cooling system upgrades so figured there would be some benefit to what we yanks have done.

I've had experience (owning or being in the general vicinity) with a number of 99s that were upgraded to 900 cooling system components (somewhat due to heat management, somewhat due to spare parts availability). However, none of them have been turbocharged let alone with an intercooler in front of the radiator (99Super might have some experience there). On my own 99 rally car a 900 radiator, 900 expansion tank, 900 B-engine water pump inlet, and some large venting in the hood seem to have done the job of keeping engine temps low. This includes 20+ mile long stages in 90°F+ heat. The temperature gauge never exceeded "N", but again no extra heat from a turbo. Also, when I switched from a brass radiator to a junkyard aluminum radiator the coolant temps dropped significantly. This makes sense as the rate of heat transfer of aluminum is double that of brass. There was a big weight savings as well!

Hopefully this helps!
The kind of dirty that doesn't wash off :eyebrows:

BIRDIEMANGO

Postby BIRDIEMANGO » Sat Nov 11, 2017 4:36 am

MORNING GEOFF,
I NEVER HAD ANY ISSUES WITH THE N/A 99 EMS 8 VALVE B201 RALLY CAR GETTING HOT,ON ANY OF THE EVENTS WE DID EITHER....

THIS IS THE ONLY TURBOCHARGED 99 USED IN MOTORSPORT,IN THE UK(AS FAR, AS I AM AWARE).

ON THE DAY,THERE JUST WAS NOT TIME TO TALK TO 'STIG',ABOUT HOW THE 'WORKS' CAR,COPED WITH HEAT 'ON STAGE'.....

THERE IS A POSSIBILITY, AT SOME POINT,THAT WE MAY BE ABLE TO TALK TO 'PER EKLUND' WHEN OVER IN VARMLAND,AND ASK THE QUESTION'S.... :dunno: APPARENTLY ,HE VISITS THE MUSEUM IN 'ARVIKA'(WHERE SOME OF HIS CARS ARE KEPT ON DISPLAY) QUITE REGULARLY,AS HE LIVES NEARBY.

BUT,HE IS PRETTY BUSY WITH THE 'RALLY SWEDEN' WHEN WE ARE OVER THERE... :huh:
Attachments
EKLUND'S CORNER.jpg
EKLUND'S CORNER.jpg (105.58 KiB) Viewed 5228 times
99_4.jpg

LEFT FOOT BRAKING

Return to “News and Events”