Black River Stages Results

Post updates/results of SAABs in racing
Crazyswede
Team Turbo Troll Crew
Nickname: Mongo
Number of Saabs currently owned: 97

Black River Stages Results

Postby Crazyswede » Sun Sep 30, 2007 4:34 pm

I just returned from the event and I had an absolute blast during the Rally moto. I managed 3d in class and 14th overall with my teammate coming in 10th overall. The first stage for the bikes was severely torn up due to 30 cars going through prior. The sand was 6"-1' deep and it was like riding on the beach....very tricky on a motor cycle. My times were not so great but I also had to get passed the adrenaline, fear, nervousness, and get warmed up. The later stages went much better. Top speed of the day for me was somewhere between 100 mph and 110mph. Lots of good jumps and a few overly exciting corners.

few pictures:

I'll let Luke fill in his weekend.

.....so anyone know how to get a photobucket picture to show up here?
I am the 73%

paulh
Number of Saabs currently owned: 2

Postby paulh » Sun Sep 30, 2007 5:30 pm

you should be able to just insert the img link that photobucket gives you, the file names you had just needed the last part after the file name removed and they worked.

looks like a fun time!

Paul

Luke
Site Admin

Postby Luke » Sun Sep 30, 2007 6:07 pm

We also just got back and a full report will follow but heres a very short summary. We were absolutely flying on this rally. We set fastest 2wd stage time on almost every stage we ran. Only 4 other open class 4wd machines were setting faster times.... but then we had a little trouble and found a new weakness of the car. The front ball joints snap in half on massive jumps! In fact we snapped two during this rally. Unfortunately we only had one spare and had to retire before the last two stages. Regardless we were very happy with our performance and times. John was spot on with the notes all day and with the fresh tires I had a ton of confidence in the car. The Hankook tires are superb!

max
Site Admin
Number of Saabs currently owned: 0

Postby max » Sun Sep 30, 2007 6:45 pm

It was a really fun weekend. Even though we didn't have a lot of time to watch much of the rally, at least we all had fun. A bunch of us even had a Blair Witch-style experience, stumbling around in the woods in the dark trying to find a backdoor into one of the stages.

Looks like Wimpey is our new rival. :twisted:

Here are a couple pics:

Didn't get any shots of any bikes.
-Max
"My car is neither discreet, nor off-road worthy." :huh:

paulh

Postby paulh » Sun Sep 30, 2007 7:19 pm

Luke wrote:We also just got back and a full report will follow but heres a very short summary. We were absolutely flying on this rally. We set fastest 2wd stage time on almost every stage we ran. Only 4 other open class 4wd machines were setting faster times.... but then we had a little trouble and found a new weakness of the car. The front ball joints snap in half on massive jumps! In fact we snapped two during this rally. Unfortunately we only had one spare and had to retire before the last two stages. Regardless we were very happy with our performance and times. John was spot on with the notes all day and with the fresh tires I had a ton of confidence in the car. The Hankook tires are superb!

hmm thats an interesting failure for sure! im assuming you were allready running the better full cast iron kind and not the ones with the stamped ends right? so what now, custom control arms :shock: sounds like fun.

Paul

max
Site Admin

Postby max » Sun Sep 30, 2007 7:34 pm

It's a good thing Luke has 6 months until the next rally, for some research time. :lol:
-Max
"My car is neither discreet, nor off-road worthy." :huh:

TRAILINGTHROTTLE

Postby TRAILINGTHROTTLE » Sun Sep 30, 2007 9:16 pm

perhaps a custom front end with king pins? ford F350 king pins.

Crazyswede
Team Turbo Troll Crew

Postby Crazyswede » Sun Sep 30, 2007 9:53 pm

think Jaguar
I am the 73%

Crazyswede
Team Turbo Troll Crew

Postby Crazyswede » Sun Sep 30, 2007 9:57 pm

I plan on running Sandblast next year....the bike will be getting reworked forks, reworked wheels, new water pump, new clutch slave, improved lights if there will be a night stage, new seat, better arrangement of safety gear, and better tires. Also need to work out a helmet cam...It would be fun to show people what 110 feels like with the throttle wide open on a 500 pound torpedo :shock:
I am the 73%

matt
Turbo Troll Crew Chief

Postby matt » Sun Sep 30, 2007 10:01 pm

i'd like to see a helmet cam with a gauge cam with a rear wheel cam with a forward looking cam mounted on the forks. Is that too much to ask for? :D
"we changed a flat in 4 minutes, twice"
1994 9000 Aero (intake, stg 4 ecu, 3" TBE, clutch + broken trans mod) *sold*
2001 Subaru Outback Wagon *sold*
2006 Subaru WRX Wagon I'm back on boost!
ImageImage

Luke
Site Admin

Postby Luke » Sun Sep 30, 2007 10:10 pm

woops:

matt
Turbo Troll Crew Chief

Postby matt » Sun Sep 30, 2007 10:13 pm

Is that the first or did the second one let loose when you got the car off the trailer?
"we changed a flat in 4 minutes, twice"
1994 9000 Aero (intake, stg 4 ecu, 3" TBE, clutch + broken trans mod) *sold*
2001 Subaru Outback Wagon *sold*
2006 Subaru WRX Wagon I'm back on boost!
ImageImage

Luke
Site Admin

Postby Luke » Sun Sep 30, 2007 10:15 pm

That was the first one. Watching the in-car video I know exactly when the second one happened... when we railed a sea turtle sized rock on huge yump landing

fiasco

sorry about the DNF

Postby fiasco » Sun Sep 30, 2007 10:26 pm

I spent a little too much time Saturday hitting refresh on rallyscoring.com...was very disappointed to hear the 99 didn't make it. Happy to see team MONGO!!! making it to the end! I wish I could have come and worked or spectated, but too much going on the home front right now.

I also wish I could actually ride a motorcycle worth a crap, as I think RallyMoto is more my budget. The Merkur shell got dragged to the woods today so I can have space to get my street XR4 running and sell off or scrap more of my parts stash.

Anybody need a late 80's C900T? There's one for sale on my street, only 220k miles for $700!!!! :shock:

--Andrew in Nude Hamster

Jordan
Site Admin
Number of Saabs currently owned: 6

Postby Jordan » Mon Oct 01, 2007 6:40 am

Like so?

Return to “News and Events”