Westchester Sports car Club TSD rally october 20th

Post updates/results of SAABs in racing
max
Site Admin
Number of Saabs currently owned: 0

Westchester Sports car Club TSD rally october 20th

Postby max » Thu Oct 18, 2007 2:22 pm

Anyone ever run a TSD rally? I've never done it, and want to try this one because it's close by. How friendly is TSD rally to beginners? I did some reasearch, and this stuff lookers harder than I initially thought...
-Max
"My car is neither discreet, nor off-road worthy." :huh:

Crazyswede
Team Turbo Troll Crew
Nickname: Mongo
Number of Saabs currently owned: 97

Postby Crazyswede » Thu Oct 18, 2007 2:43 pm

TSD rallies can be a lot of fun even if its your first event. they are harder then a club rally because you don't know the route and have to figure it out from your route book and stay on time. Get a friend to navigate for you and make sure the event is designed for every day cars and doesn't have any "car breaker" roads. Don't worry much about your score just stay on course and finish and you may surprise yourself on how well you do.
I am the 73%

saab90089

Postby saab90089 » Thu Oct 18, 2007 6:54 pm

I've done 2 TSD's and they can be alot of fun.

Be sure to pay attention to any changes to the directions! If during a driving/novice meetin you can not hear what they are saying; move closer or ask them to speak up.

Also for your first race if you can get through the rally without getting lost that is GREAT. As it was said before don't worry much about the time.

Ian
1-97 Impreza L wagon w/many mods--mine
1-C900 turbo w/290K--mine
4-C900 turbo's in various states--dads
1-Legacy wagon--dads
1-Forester--moms

SaabsBreakDown
Number of Saabs currently owned: 4

Postby SaabsBreakDown » Mon Oct 22, 2007 2:33 pm

I have probably done 8 TSD rallies as a navigator and one as a driver. it is a lot of fun. i'd say the best part is when you miss a turn, and have to haul ass to catch up and then slow down again. haha.

the coolest thing is that you can calculate your ideal time at every 10th/mile, so if your navigator is good at math on the fly and under pressure, you can get really accurate with just a seat of the pants class.

http://www.goss.com/rrtable.htm

Crazyswede
Team Turbo Troll Crew

Postby Crazyswede » Mon Oct 22, 2007 3:52 pm

unless of course there is a CAS change without a mileage, then things get a little trickier.
I am the 73%

Geoff
Team Turbo Troll Crew
Nickname: Geoff
Number of Saabs currently owned: 6

Postby Geoff » Mon Oct 22, 2007 3:58 pm

SaabsBreakDown wrote:I have probably done 8 TSD rallies as a navigator and one as a driver. it is a lot of fun. i'd say the best part is when you miss a turn, and have to haul ass to catch up and then slow down again. haha.

the coolest thing is that you can calculate your ideal time at every 10th/mile, so if your navigator is good at math on the fly and under pressure, you can get really accurate with just a seat of the pants class.

You can also take a Time Allowance (TA) so you don't have to haul to get back on time.

If you're good at calculating your time you can beat Pastrama :lol:
The kind of dirty that doesn't wash off :eyebrows:

SaabsBreakDown

Postby SaabsBreakDown » Mon Oct 22, 2007 4:10 pm

Crazyswede wrote:unless of course there is a CAS change without a mileage, then things get a little trickier.

i've never seen that, but i would imagine they would have to give you a time for the CAS, so you could extrapolate the mileage from that.

we have never taken a time allowance. that takes the fun out of it!

we did it in a sonett. not hard to get 1st in vintage class. haha

Crazyswede
Team Turbo Troll Crew

Postby Crazyswede » Mon Oct 22, 2007 5:08 pm

Nope, we have done many events where there is a CAS change between given mileages. Many of the more difficult events do not give you mileages with every instruction. You may get one and not have another for many miles, but may have multiple CAS changes. The changes are usualy at a sign or other turn but again mileages are not given. If you are running with an odometer you can extrapolate the distance you have gone and figure out the time/speed from there. We usually run in class "C" which I think it unique to New England Region events. Class "C" means no odometer and we only run a stop watch. We usually do well and often beat all of the stock class cars and only get beat by 1 other class C car and a few class A cars.
I am the 73%

SaabsBreakDown

Postby SaabsBreakDown » Mon Oct 22, 2007 5:20 pm

that sounds like a lot of fun

i want to try running equipped some time and bring a laptop

i missed a TSD rally in the cascade mountains a few weeks ago all on gravel roads, i think it would have been a lot of fun. we went on a 4x4 trip instead.. which was a lot of fun in itself :)

saab90089

Postby saab90089 » Mon Oct 22, 2007 7:07 pm

Yes when my dad was my age he said the TSD's basically left 1 'unknown' at each (some?, so-many?) instruction. Thus making things a little more challenging.

Every TSD i've been on has had pretty much every piece of information at each of the instruction. With this in mind the only time I really have fun is when there is a "3rd factor" such as harsh roads, late at night, both.

As mentioned before things get interesting when you miss a turn and need to play 'catch up' to get back on course and on time. I think you are supposed to take a 'time allowance' or whatever it's called. But that is just not as fun :twisted: .

Ian

1-Legacy wagon--dads

1-Forester--moms

Crazyswede
Team Turbo Troll Crew

Postby Crazyswede » Mon Oct 22, 2007 8:23 pm

Geoff and I have run the Vermont winter rally every year they have had it. It starts at 8pm and runs until 6 am. It is a "brisk" event and there are lots of tricky instructions and other traps on top of the high speeds and adverse road conditions. Last year we were routed down a snow mobile trail and we were doing speeds in the 40-70 mph range just to try and stay on track and on time. I dont think we were early to any check points. We ran it in my 270,000 mile 85 4 door turbo with a broken odometer and won class C and came in 3d overall.
I am the 73%

SaabsBreakDown

Postby SaabsBreakDown » Mon Oct 22, 2007 8:58 pm

wow 70 on snow! last time i went over 50 on snow was the last time i drove my 9000 if you know what i mean :)

sounds like an awesome rally.

airsweden

Postby airsweden » Mon Oct 22, 2007 9:15 pm

With 4 new studded Hakk 2's on a SAAB......... 70 MPH is a stroll in the park.

Crazyswede
Team Turbo Troll Crew

Postby Crazyswede » Mon Oct 22, 2007 9:37 pm

airsweden wrote:With 4 new studded Hakk 2's on a SAAB......... 70 MPH is a stroll in the park.

yep we were running good studded Hakka 2's, skid plate, extra lights, rally springs. Unfortunately the car was down on power as I had replaced the head gasket and cylinder head....only I put an 86 head on an 85 block which lowers the compression. Coupled with some crumbling wiring harness electrical issues it was an exciting night.
I am the 73%

saab90089

Postby saab90089 » Tue Oct 23, 2007 7:37 am

airsweden wrote:With 4 new studded Hakk 2's on a SAAB......... 70 MPH is a stroll in the park.

Ya, that is the best snowtire I've ever had!

Speaking of TSD's anyone here going to the Pine Barren TSD in Nov.? I am planning on attending that in my buddy's Colorado.

Ian

1-Legacy wagon--dads

1-Forester--moms

Return to “News and Events”