Stafford Springs, CT RallyX - This weekend

Post updates/results of SAABs in racing
Geoff
Team Turbo Troll Crew
Nickname: Geoff
Number of Saabs currently owned: 6

Stafford Springs, CT RallyX - This weekend

Postby Geoff » Wed Jan 23, 2008 9:58 am

There is a 2 day rallycross at Stafford Springs in CT this weekend.
http://ner.org/schedule.htm#rx

I'm going, I just need to figure out which car to bring. It sounds like Jordan is going to come to watch. Anyone else? Snakes and Co.?
The kind of dirty that doesn't wash off :eyebrows:

max
Site Admin
Number of Saabs currently owned: 0

Postby max » Wed Jan 23, 2008 9:59 am

Jeez, just getting to Stafford Springs from here would be like going on a rally all by itself... :laugh:

I might have actually made an attempt to come watch seeing as I've never been to that corner of the state, but I just feel like sitting tight this weekend.
-Max
"My car is neither discreet, nor off-road worthy." :huh:

Jordan
Site Admin

Postby Jordan » Wed Jan 23, 2008 10:15 am

What are your car choices? the 9000 or the 900? Or is the 99 in the pool too?

airsweden

Postby airsweden » Wed Jan 23, 2008 11:07 am

Signs say we will be iceracing this weekend in the Adirondacks. For me there is no comparison........ its closer, cheaper and a way way way more fun than a NER Rally-X. I urge anyone with the interest to come check it out. The club does a great job putting on some really good races. The tracks are great and there is a class for everyone. Geoff you should come spend the night here and head over with us in the morning.

http://www.icerace.com/

Crazyswede
Team Turbo Troll Crew
Nickname: Mongo
Number of Saabs currently owned: 97

Postby Crazyswede » Wed Jan 23, 2008 12:01 pm

I think I can come Sunday...so can I get some wheel time in your car...or is there a class I can run my 900 in without worrying about body damage?
I am the 73%

Geoff
Team Turbo Troll Crew

Postby Geoff » Wed Jan 23, 2008 12:15 pm

I'll have to try to make it to an AMEC event or two this year. Ideally I'd like to be able to tow the 99 but I need a trailer and I need to get the car out from storage (requires cutting some 3ft diameter maple logs that were laid down in the way :-( ) I might try it in a street car but, like Seth, I worry about body damage. I know you say its OK but I've seen your car! :-P

I'm not sure what car I'm driving this weekend. The 900 has the benefit of... being a 900, having a good tire selection, and skid protection. But it needs to be cleaned out, has a weak automatic transmission, and the shocks aren't too good. The 9000 seems OK but I've only driven it about 1000 miles and it sat for 3 years prior. Plus it has no skidplate and I only have one set of tires for it.

Jordan
Site Admin

Postby Jordan » Wed Jan 23, 2008 12:29 pm

I'd say bring the 900 unless you think you won't be able to get home afterwards. If the 9000 is an aero, they really don't have much ground clearance, and aren't going to want to ding up your new daily driver already, or put something through the oil pan. Plus there's the tire selection.

Plus the final benefit of not really caring what happens to the car , you can drive it like you mean it. :bat:

airsweden

Postby airsweden » Wed Jan 23, 2008 12:29 pm

I think I can come Sunday...so can I get some wheel time in your car...or is there a class I can run my 900 in without worrying about body damage?

Cool dude! You can run your car in "Street Legal" you just need an approved fire extinguisher mounted in the car and a good helmet. I bought mine from a small extinguisher shop in Rutland. I forgot the name but he's just off of the east side of Rte 7 a little south of fairgrounds. Basically the street across from Hannaford........ up the street on the left.

The best tires to run in that class are Blizzaks (no studs allowed), I just happen to have a nice set of 4 mounted and balanced on wheels that fit your car........ you could use those for the day.

Otherwise passengers are allowed during practice/warm-ups in the morning and if you're really nice to me, I could let you rip around in my car a little after the races. Then you could experience first hand the pleasure that is "Menard"!

My car is not an SL car so it is also not a good example of what to expect. There is no contact allowed in the SL class and people do a good job of keeping it that way. The track is huge....... plenty of room to spread out. The great thing is that you can back off and basically have the track to yourself. Also no skid plate needed, only thing you should do to a street car is disconnect or remove swaybars if possible but thats not even really important first time out. Most important thing is good studless tires...... new blizzaks.

Mike Kamm has been racing this car for about 5 years and it still looks as good as the first day he drove it up to the lake.

Jordan
Site Admin

Postby Jordan » Sun Jan 27, 2008 12:03 pm

I had a good time Sat. with geoff and got to ride in Phil M's impretzle for his to morning runs. Definitely something I'd do when the car is ready. Ice racing would be fun too, I'm sure.

airsweden

Postby airsweden » Sun Jan 27, 2008 9:24 pm

Don't icerace if you you still want to have fun at NER Rally-X. After you icerace......... Rally-X starts to seem like a major waste of time.

I probably sound a little assy but I just got home from a really good day of iceracing. Hard to even describe............lotsa saabs too.

Geoff
Team Turbo Troll Crew

Postby Geoff » Mon Jan 28, 2008 1:25 pm

I had a pretty good time at the rallyX this weekend. Though I hope to get out ice racing with Snakes this year too.

The rally car isn't accessible so I ended up running my '86 900S notchback with an automatic tranny and 194K miles in the Modified 2wd class (sort of the 'anything goes' class). The car is basically stock with the exception of a skidplate, Bilstein HD shocks (two of which are blown), stock 900T cat back exhaust (with holes), and a set of SPG springs with 1" of spacers in the front and 1.5" in the rear (with saggy rear springs). The course consisted of a mixture of three conditions: frozen dirt, a thin layer of crusty snow, and ice. It didn't get very rutted because everything was quite firm, you could run an Aero or Viggen without worrying about damaging bumper covers. I used some of Snake's old studded Hakka 2 ice race tires which I think had only ever seen ice.

The event was actually three events over the two days. Saturday Regional, Sunday Regional, and National (afternoon runs from Saturday, morning runs from Sunday). I think there were 11 competitors in the class for each of the events. I placed 3rd in class on Saturday, I think 3 seconds behind 2nd. 2nd was a Golf with snow tires (no studs), a Quaife, a stripped interior, and I think a rally suspension (the driver won the championship the last two years and car won the Nationals a few years back with a different driver). First place was a Civic hatchback with a Quaife, studded Hakka 5s, a more powerful engine, a stripped interior, and probably some suspension mods (the driver is also an accomplished National Autocross competitor and New England SCCA autocross chairman). 1st place was many seconds ahead of 2nd. :-)

The transmission was noticeably worse after day #1 so I took it a bit easier on the second day. The lineup was pretty similar except I was 4th or 5th in the Nationals and 4th on Sunday's divisional. But I was able to drive the car home :-) Not bad for a stock car in the modified class considering I haven't participated in two years.

There was another SAAB driver in a 900 who has been competing over the past few years (I think). I think he was in the top 3 in all three events (and I think more than one 1st place). Good job!

airsweden

Postby airsweden » Mon Jan 28, 2008 5:39 pm

How much did you $pend on your 8.5 min. of racing?

I can't believe you let this guy beat you! :D

Geoff
Team Turbo Troll Crew

Postby Geoff » Tue Jan 29, 2008 1:38 pm

$10/minute. Not so great of cost by comparison to ice racing. I'm planning on making it to an ice race event soon.

Is that picture Hal? (its blocked at work) I tried to talk him into driving his car on day 2 but he was having electrical troubles and wanted it to complete the day for him. I think he was just scared of me edging him out of 3rd :D

Return to “News and Events”