Two Vintage SAAB 99’s are set to compete this weekend at San

Post updates/results of SAABs in racing
Luke
Site Admin

Two Vintage SAAB 99’s are set to compete this weekend at San

Postby Luke » Tue Feb 05, 2008 2:26 pm

This coming weekend marks the first time in many years that not one, but two rally prepared SAAB 99’s will take to the stages in a North American Rally! The modified 1975 SAAB 99 fielded by Luke Sorensen and John Iden will duke it out for points in the highly competetive M1 modified class. This will mark the start of the 4th season for the saabrally.com supported team.
Complimenting this will be the historically correct 1977 99 entered by Per Schroeder and Jason Grahn. This will be the first event for the antelope brown 99, and it will compete for honors in the stock class. Details about the respective teams can be found at www.saabrally.com and
www.grassrootsmotorsports.com/news/cate ... 7-saab-99/
Set on the sandy backroads around Cheraw South Carolina, Sandblast rally is the 1st event of season for the NASA eastern states championship. 32 teams will battle for an important early season finish and the championship points. The deeps sand pits can prove troublesome for 2wd cars, with last year just better than 50% of 2wd cars finishing.
More details about the rally can be found at www.sandblastrally.com

Hans
Number of Saabs currently owned: 2

Postby Hans » Tue Feb 05, 2008 2:38 pm

Good luck, guys!! Looking forward to seeing pics/vid/blow-by-blow recounts.

max
Site Admin
Number of Saabs currently owned: 0

Postby max » Tue Feb 05, 2008 3:33 pm

Good luck as usual..

And super good luck to Per, he'll need it. :wink:

Wish I was going.. :bawl:
-Max
"My car is neither discreet, nor off-road worthy." :huh:

Crazyswede
Team Turbo Troll Crew
Nickname: Mongo
Number of Saabs currently owned: 97

Postby Crazyswede » Tue Feb 05, 2008 7:29 pm

and 1 vintage KTM....well 2004 vintage.

mOnGO lIKE tO RidE MOTorcYCle bUt mOTorCycLe tO SMAll foR MoNGO!
I am the 73%

Geoff
Team Turbo Troll Crew
Nickname: Geoff
Number of Saabs currently owned: 6

Postby Geoff » Fri Feb 08, 2008 11:28 am

I spoke with Mongo last night. He and his friend Chris are riding in the RallyMoto this weekend and driving down/back in Chris' truck with their bikes in a trailer. Apparently on Wednesday night, on his way to Mongo's house, someone cut in front of Chris and the truck/trailer spun on black ice. The trailer got hit by another SUV that started sliding down a hill towards the wreckage. The trailer is ruined but they think Chris' new bike is OK and nobody was hurt. They rented a Uhaul trailer yesterday morning and were driving down over night, taking shifts driving. Hopefully the rest of the event will go OK for them.
The kind of dirty that doesn't wash off :eyebrows:

saab90089
Number of Saabs currently owned: 0

Postby saab90089 » Fri Feb 08, 2008 1:55 pm

Good luck to the 2 saab teams! I really wish our team were competing this season but due to some health issues with our driver we will be out this season.

I believe my driver/codriver are going to drive down to SandBlast to spectate or to as the crew for the Kennedy's.

I'm sorry to hear about Mongo/Chris's accident. I'm glad everyone is unharmed and hopefully at least one of them will be able to compete.

Ian
1-97 Impreza L wagon w/many mods--mine
1-C900 turbo w/290K--mine
4-C900 turbo's in various states--dads
1-Legacy wagon--dads
1-Forester--moms

oddcarnut

Seeing 99s in the woods brings back some memories

Postby oddcarnut » Sun Feb 10, 2008 7:11 pm

Nice to see the info on your 99s running Sand Hills. Back when that event was first held as a regional SCCA Pro rally event, my wife and I ran our 99EMS that we used to compete in mostly SEDIV events. Too bad our schedule didn't allow going to the rally this weekend.

Scanning the entry list made me wonder if the Pullen listed as a co-driver is Mark Pullen We used to compete with Mark. For the last event on season he used our 99 wife Lorri co-driving to wrap up the SEDIV season while I was off on company business.

Good luck with the rest of the season.

Ken Payne

Return to “News and Events”