Alcan 5000 winter rally -- Feb 17-26th

Post updates/results of SAABs in racing
Geoff
Team Turbo Troll Crew
Nickname: Geoff
Number of Saabs currently owned: 6

Postby Geoff » Thu Feb 28, 2008 3:08 pm

doh, that sucks about the missed pause! We had something similar at the VT Winter rally where we executed a turn where a Transit Zone started, I calculated the time it would take to get to the end of the TZ, found we had to haul ass to get there on time (typical of this rally) and we started cruising along. Then all of a sudden there was a checkpoint...... There is some obscure rule where the TZ hadn't actually started for some reason and at the checkpoint we found that the next NRI was the one with the BTZ. We ended up with 91 points at that one checkpoint :?

Maybe if they run another Winter Alcan we'll have to come out for it. We might want to ship the car to the west coast though! :-P
The kind of dirty that doesn't wash off :eyebrows:

DanComden
Number of Saabs currently owned: 0

Get ready for Alcan 2012!

Postby DanComden » Fri Mar 07, 2008 2:51 pm

This event is amazing. Doing it with a group makes it even better. The TeamD cadre has been together in one form or another for eight years now and we had more fun on Alcan than anyone else -- or at least we tried!

Thanks to advice here for prep hints. And to Hans for the many hours prepping the car and helping with repairs that had stacked up after years of TSD rallying on rough roads. I would take the car on another Alcan tomorrow, just change the oil and it's ready to go.

This was the car's second Alcan. In '06 I worked the summer version. A very different feel and harder on tires. That's fun as well, but nothing like winter, which has the added bonus of ice track competition and a lot less civilian traffic on the roads.

We would LOVE to see more Saabs out there. Kind of silly having only one car in 2WD class. But you gotta start getting ready now. That means putting aside the money to do this as well as winterizing the car. Event fee seems steep but it covers all lodging as well as a couple of meals. You'll need to save money for fuel and meals and perhaps a beer or two. Start now and it'll be easier. Less than four years to get ready for the next one...

Crazyswede
Team Turbo Troll Crew
Nickname: Mongo
Number of Saabs currently owned: 97

Postby Crazyswede » Fri Mar 07, 2008 9:45 pm

My 99 5 door is out in the garage just begging to play. We will see...the next winter event is in 4 years right?
I am the 73%

Jordan
Site Admin
Number of Saabs currently owned: 6

Postby Jordan » Sat Mar 08, 2008 9:24 am

Yeah but in 4 more years there won't BE any more winters!! GLOBAL WARMING@!#@1@!!

:D

DanComden

Postby DanComden » Sat Mar 08, 2008 7:05 pm

Yes, next winter Alcan will be in 2012

Next Summer event will be 2010. That one will include a motorcycle class. There are some cool roads not available in winter that were used in 2006.

re: warming. I only have a sample size of two, but 50% of my visits to that part of the world have been unseasonably warm. Looks like we missed some cold weather just a week prior; when we were at the Circle, I think it was warmer there than in Seattle. Not much snow up there either. Kind of disappointing to prep for below zero temps and then never need to plug in the block heater!

** edit for next Alcan year/date
Last edited by DanComden on Mon Mar 10, 2008 12:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

max
Site Admin

Postby max » Mon Mar 10, 2008 11:55 am

Jordan wrote:Yeah but in 4 more years there won't BE any more winters!! GLOBAL WARMING@!#@1@!!

Please... think of the polar bears.... :bawl:
-Max
"My car is neither discreet, nor off-road worthy." :huh:

Hans
Number of Saabs currently owned: 2

Postby Hans » Mon Mar 10, 2008 3:24 pm

max wrote:
Jordan wrote:Yeah but in 4 more years there won't BE any more winters!! GLOBAL WARMING@!#@1@!!

Please... think of the polar bears.... :bawl:

Speaking of polar bears, I recently read that, due to global warming, brown bears are moving farther north than before and there is confirmation of hybrid brown/polar bears. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grizzly-polar_bear_hybrid

Return to “News and Events”