The rally car makes it onto some random cars website..

Post updates/results of SAABs in racing
max
Site Admin
Number of Saabs currently owned: 0

The rally car makes it onto some random cars website..

Postby max » Mon Jun 09, 2008 1:15 pm

http://www.conceptcarz.com/vehicle/z9413/Saab_99.aspx
:dunno:

There is a shot on there of the car back in 05, before it had it's paint scheme.
-Max
"My car is neither discreet, nor off-road worthy." :huh:

happyandy
Number of Saabs currently owned: 1

Re: The rally car makes it onto some random cars website..

Postby happyandy » Wed Jun 11, 2008 9:07 pm

it is lame that they used pics of the team saab rally 99 and never mentioned in the article that they were used extencivly for rallying or the factory sport and rally program. not even a mention of the driver/team of the car used in thier pics? :dunno:
I would like to see a 99 with a V8. I've heard this story before, but I think its a myth.
good pics of the car though. :luke:

max
Site Admin

Postby max » Wed Jun 11, 2008 10:27 pm

I doubt they even researched who the team/driver was. Probably just google image-searched "saab 99 rally" or something. :rolleyes:
-Max

Geoff
Team Turbo Troll Crew
Nickname: Geoff
Number of Saabs currently owned: 6

Postby Geoff » Thu Jun 12, 2008 8:20 am

happyandy wrote:I would like to see a 99 with a V8. I've heard this story before, but I think its a myth.

Are you coming to the SOC in MA? The guys from Billerica (Automotion) will probably be there with their mustang-powered RWD '83 900. Before it was a mushstang it had a Triumph V8 bolted to the SAAB tranny (at least thats what Bo told me).
The kind of dirty that doesn't wash off :eyebrows:

max
Site Admin

Postby max » Thu Jun 12, 2008 8:23 am

A triumph V8 bolted to a Saab tranny in a mustang body/chassis/whatever?

Wow.... talk about a genetic experiment. I didn't even know Triumph made a V8. What car did that go in?
-Max

Geoff
Team Turbo Troll Crew

Postby Geoff » Thu Jun 12, 2008 8:31 am

:smash: It was an '83 900 with a Triumph V8 (the one the SAAB 4cyl was based off of). The V8 was bolted to the SAAB tranny (same bolt pattern) and was in the 900. But the Triumph V8 wasn't a really good engine and I'm sure the tranny didn't like it so he pulled that out and converted the 900 to a Mushstang drivetrain.

Here with 'merikan V8

Crazyswede
Team Turbo Troll Crew
Nickname: Mongo
Number of Saabs currently owned: 97

Postby Crazyswede » Thu Jun 12, 2008 8:37 am

it went in the triumph stag. much like its name implies it was a big hairy beast with a musty smell.
I am the 73%

max
Site Admin

Postby max » Thu Jun 12, 2008 9:18 am

I've heard of the Stag, and what a peice it was. I thought it was a v6. I also thought the Triumph/Saab motor started as a 4-banger as well. Oh well, learn something every day.

Oh and just for good motorhead measure:

I title this image "Further proof that the 70's weren't kind to some of the world's greatest car marques."

You could put all the names of all the British Leyland cars of the late '60s in a hat and you'd be guaranteed to pull out a despicable, rotten-to-the-core mockery of a car. So consider the Triumph Stag merely representative. Like its classmates, it had great style (penned by Giovanni Michelotti) ruined by some half-hearted, half-witted, utterly temporized engineering: To give the body structure greater stiffness, a T-bar connected the roll hoop to the windscreen, and the windows were framed in eye-catching chrome. The effect was to put the driver in a shiny aquarium. The Stag was lively and fun to drive, as long as it ran. The 3.0-liter Triumph V8 was a monumental failure, an engine that utterly refused to confine its combustion to the internal side. The timing chains broke, the aluminum heads warped like mad, the main bearings would seize and the water pump would poop the bed — ka-POW! Oh, that piston through the bonnet, that is a spot of bother. We'll not hear the last of Triumph on this list.
-Max

Jordan
Site Admin

Postby Jordan » Thu Jun 12, 2008 9:30 am

max wrote:I've heard of the Stag, and what a peice it was. I thought it was a v6. I also thought the Triumph/Saab motor started as a 4-banger as well. Oh well, learn something every day.

It was based on the 4-cylinder, but I'm assuming the V8 was also based on the Triumph 4 cylinder or vice-versa. Actually, I wonder if it is a misnomer to say that. The saab 4-cylinder was designed by SAAB they just used the triumph engine in early model 99s. I'm not sure how much is shared between the two designs besides the mechanically driven water pump.

Take away the t-tops and I think that is a good looking car. We pulled up to a hardtop one at Carlisle last year. The badge was very "Impala-like"

max
Site Admin

Postby max » Thu Jun 12, 2008 9:40 am

:silent:
Jordan wrote:Take away the t-tops and I think that is a good looking car. We pulled up to a hardtop one at Carlisle last year. The badge was very "Impala-like"

Take away the tops, and it's an OK looking car. But doesn't hold a candle to anything else triumph made, except for possibly the hideous TR7.
-Max

formulasaab

Postby formulasaab » Thu Jun 26, 2008 9:40 am

max wrote:I doubt they even researched who the team/driver was. Probably just google image-searched "saab 99 rally" or something. :rolleyes:

I've corresponded with the Conceptcarz.com guy before. Dan somebody I think. He seems like a nice guy.
He seems to be everywhere. He's taken quite a few pictures of me at the Pittsburgh Vintage Grand Prix and at BeaverRun over the last few years.

From what I understand, if you see the ©conceptcarz.com on the image... Dan took the picture himself.

Sorry to jump in randomly after months away from the forum... Been busy breaking and fixing racecars. You know how it goes. :dunno:
-STEFAN
http://at-speed.com
http://photos.at-speed.com
VRG comp# 97
VSCCA comp# 57

Geoff
Team Turbo Troll Crew

Postby Geoff » Thu Jun 26, 2008 10:05 am

I didn't see it before but there is now a picture of the new car on the website.

Return to “News and Events”