what should I do?

Post off topic or stuff that otherwise dosen't fit into a specific category here.
hotrodlarry
Number of Saabs currently owned: 0

what should I do?

Postby hotrodlarry » Fri Dec 28, 2007 10:24 am

I got a dilemma. There's a 150 lap Enduro at Riverside Speedway ( 1/4 mile oval) in Groveton, NH New Years Eve. I have been asked to drive a car in the race, but I was planning on going as a spectator. My problem is, the car is in Massachusetts, which I would need to pick up, and then drive 3 hours to the track, then drive back. I'm not worried about the race, but towing that far with my Toyota is my main concern, although most of the trip will be interstate highway.I've never towed in the winter either. What would you guys do?

Crazyswede
Team Turbo Troll Crew
Nickname: Mongo
Number of Saabs currently owned: 97

Postby Crazyswede » Fri Dec 28, 2007 11:24 am

so someone asked you to drive the car but then you have to do all the work to go get it and take it back? Sounds like a crappy deal to me. You might have just as much fun with a 6 pack and a warm seat.
I am the 73%

hotrodlarry

Postby hotrodlarry » Fri Dec 28, 2007 11:31 am

Yeah that's what I was thinking. But it's a nice early 90's c900 16v and it's won races before.

Luke
Site Admin

Postby Luke » Fri Dec 28, 2007 1:14 pm

Crazyswede wrote:so someone asked you to drive the car but then you have to do all the work to go get it and take it back? Sounds like a crappy deal to me. You might have just as much fun with a 6 pack and a warm seat.

Uhh but they are offering to let you drive a car they own for free! Who cares if you have to get it, driving is the fun part, owning a car and maintaining it, not so much. They are definatly being pretty generous.

hotrodlarry

Postby hotrodlarry » Fri Dec 28, 2007 11:09 pm

So the decision is... the car is stayin in the garage. I talked with the guy that owns it, and in order for me to make it on time for the race, I'd have to leave here at like 4 in the morn just to make sure there's no problems. Oh well, I'll have a warm seat and a cup of coffee and be a spectator. Good news is, I found out I have a spare car at my disposal for when racing season comes around in the spring, cool.

Jordan
Site Admin
Number of Saabs currently owned: 6

Postby Jordan » Sat Dec 29, 2007 10:21 am

So what is in it for him? Do you have to marry his daughter or something?

hotrodlarry

Postby hotrodlarry » Sat Dec 29, 2007 11:16 am

Nope, nothing like that, he just wanted someone to drive one of his shop cars in a race. He built my car last spring and I proved to him that I could drive well. As far as oval track Saab teams go here in southern New England, it's pretty much us ( him and me) and whoever else he has on his " drivers list" I just happen to be next on the list when one of his buddies bailed on him.

Geoff
Team Turbo Troll Crew
Nickname: Geoff
Number of Saabs currently owned: 6

Postby Geoff » Thu Jan 03, 2008 1:45 pm

You should have done it. I've left the house at 4AM for rallycrosses where we only got 5 runs....
The kind of dirty that doesn't wash off :eyebrows:

hotrodlarry

Postby hotrodlarry » Thu Jan 03, 2008 9:57 pm

I should have. There was one problem, in all of our excitement talking over the phone about getting the car, we forgot that the race was on Sunday, not Monday like we had thought. I ended up working and missing everything. oops...

On the plus side, I may get to drive for him next month. There's an 4-cyl Enduro at the Canaan Fair Speedway dirt track on Feb 16th. Not sure on the details, but we may finish racing that day with some clay being thrown around.

Return to “Random Thoughts”