900 suspension

Post off topic or stuff that otherwise dosen't fit into a specific category here.
SwedeSport
Number of Saabs currently owned: 5

Re: 900 suspension

Postby SwedeSport » Tue Aug 17, 2010 10:04 am

I have a set of the cast aluminum ones from Jack, SAS sold poly spacers for the rear, but there were different spring isolators and rubber shims that were installed on Saab's from the factory. I have a box of rubber suspension parts and noticed there were different units produced thru the model run. You can get a small range of adjustment from the stock stuff. It was intended to fine tune the stance of the car, but I have stacked them before.
Swedesport Motors, Apparel and Accessories for SAAB Junkies.
Http://Facebook.com/swedesportmotors
Swedesportmotors@gmail.com

jdwertz
Number of Saabs currently owned: 1

Postby jdwertz » Tue Aug 17, 2010 2:11 pm

ok I see so cut down the springs then throw them in during the winter

Luke
Site Admin

Postby Luke » Tue Aug 17, 2010 2:47 pm

jdwertz wrote:ok I see so cut down the springs then throw them in during the winter

Well or use a lowering spring in the summer and then a stock spring with spacers in the winter as you want a much softer spring rate for snow anyways.

jdwertz
Number of Saabs currently owned: 1

Postby jdwertz » Tue Aug 17, 2010 8:41 pm

are adjustable springs out of the question?

Luke
Site Admin

Postby Luke » Wed Aug 18, 2010 8:59 am

I wouldnt have time to design/fab a setup anytime soon but its not to say it can't be done. I'd just be careful because you can spend a lot of time/money for something that you don't end adjusting much anyway.

Crazyswede
Team Turbo Troll Crew
Nickname: Mongo
Number of Saabs currently owned: 97

Postby Crazyswede » Wed Aug 18, 2010 9:35 am

I ran SPG springs with MSS spacers in the front and SAS spacers in the rear with bilsteins all around on my 85 4 door. I did not run any swaybars and this setup worked well year round. The car had the stiffere springs with a little more preload and the added bonus of better ride height.
I am the 73%

SwedeSport
Number of Saabs currently owned: 5

Postby SwedeSport » Wed Aug 18, 2010 10:37 am

I agree with Luke, while there is a total "coolness" factor about having the coil over system on your car, its something even serious racers dont have most of the time. I may put it on one of my projects, but I have 2 cars that do not have the setup. My 86 900 street/track project has 26.00 KYB shocks and Jamex lowering springs. I drive it on the street, autocross, and hillclimb the car.

The race only 84 notchback (er, used to be an 86 until i retitled it) will have standard coil springs and shocks. I am going to use a nascar style screw jack upper perch to make it adjustable (ride height only). Ill probably use existing springs in the back (saab, aftermarket, etc.) but might have a set of smaller diameter front springs made so I can fit fatter tires on it.

If you have so much cash sitting around that spending 2-3 grand on coil overs is no biggie, by all means go for it. Who are we to tell you what to do with your riches? I race on a configuration that is nearly stock, with the exception of aftermarket springs. By no means does the car limit me as a driver. Its gonna be a long time before I can outdrive the car Im in. When that happens Ill upgrade the car or the components of it. But for now its good enough.

There are a few options for adjustable height without all the coil over hassle.

http://www.budzter.com/
http://www.jcwhitney.com/coil-springs/c11305j1s17.jcwx
http://www.speedwaymotors.com/race-spri ... pacer.html
http://www.slickcar.com/products/dzcoilovers.jpg
Swedesport Motors, Apparel and Accessories for SAAB Junkies.
Http://Facebook.com/swedesportmotors
Swedesportmotors@gmail.com

trama
Number of Saabs currently owned: 2

Re: 900 suspension spacer avail update

Postby trama » Mon Oct 15, 2012 3:17 pm

Jack at MSS says he may get some front c900 spacers cast soon, both the conical and flat types for stacking. If anybody wants these like I do, call him up and vote!
(716) 664-4200

78 99 notch sitting on spg springs and adj konis
93 9000 Aero

Return to “Random Thoughts”