900 suspension

Post off topic or stuff that otherwise dosen't fit into a specific category here.
jdwertz
Number of Saabs currently owned: 1

Re: 900 suspension

Postby jdwertz » Sun Aug 15, 2010 10:23 pm

I used this kind

Didn't need to compress the rears but the fronts were annoying....spent a good half hour just winding each side on one spring. plus it was VERY unsafe as I couldn't get them directly opposite each other on the spring.

Luke what about an adjustable spring set? I am assuming the cost would be more reasonable and a bit easier on your end?

SwedeSport
Number of Saabs currently owned: 5

Postby SwedeSport » Mon Aug 16, 2010 12:21 am

I think you could get adjustable spring spacers from the ricer parts places? A threaded tube, with ring around it? Probably garbage, but the concept is good.
Swedesport Motors, Apparel and Accessories for SAAB Junkies.
Http://Facebook.com/swedesportmotors
Swedesportmotors@gmail.com

Jordan
Site Admin
Number of Saabs currently owned: 6

Postby Jordan » Mon Aug 16, 2010 6:43 am

I remember in the very first version of rally car 1.0 Luke had some sort of threaded rod and plate welded through the top of the spring perch to be able to adjust ride height...I remember it doming the plate (It was pretty thick too) after a couple of rally's, but something like that might be ok for street use....not sure.

Luke
Site Admin

Postby Luke » Mon Aug 16, 2010 9:45 am

Yep, I did have a weight jacking setup on the car at one point. I ended up bending the screw and the top plate on the really rough stage at RNY. It was a decent setup otherwise but not worth the hassle in my opinion. I have the factory spring compressor which works really well, and my friend also has a modified harbor freight compressor which is also pretty good. He got a better acme screw and cut and welded a bit on the hooks I believe. Nothing is worse than removing a std 99 spring, they are like 3ft free length once you have them loose...SPG's intrax, jamex, OMP etc all come out in and out pretty easily. Does MSS still have spacers in stock anybody know? I may be able to make a run of spacers if he dosent make them anymore.

Jordan
Site Admin

Postby Jordan » Mon Aug 16, 2010 9:51 am

Yes my OMP's go in very easily. They barely have to be compressed to fit in. I just like the coilovers because you have access to basically any rate and type of off the shelf spring/shock so you can fine tune the suspension pretty easily.

Hans
Number of Saabs currently owned: 2

Postby Hans » Mon Aug 16, 2010 11:26 am

jdwertz wrote:I used this kind

Those things suck; give them to an enemy. The Harbor Freight one that Luke talked about is as close to the Saab tool as you can get.

Luke
Site Admin

Postby Luke » Mon Aug 16, 2010 11:59 am

By the way, my not-officially-recommended way of removing stock springs is to put on really thick welding gloves (for a false sense of security) and put a cheapo cutoff disc in the angle grinder (it's going to shatter) and cut the spring into a couple segments and remove. Springs are out in under a minute.

Jordan
Site Admin

Postby Jordan » Mon Aug 16, 2010 1:03 pm

I actually did that on the '71... it was scary. I think I actually compressed part of the spring and cut the other part, but still scary.

jdwertz

Postby jdwertz » Mon Aug 16, 2010 2:43 pm

this one?

and how exactly does the spacer work? can you show me what it looks like?

Crazyswede
Team Turbo Troll Crew
Nickname: Mongo
Number of Saabs currently owned: 97

Postby Crazyswede » Mon Aug 16, 2010 3:31 pm

jdwertz wrote:Image

this one?

and how exactly does the spacer work? can you show me what it looks like?

I own that one and though it has the potential to work...it is a PITA to use. I found it likes to bind up making it extremely diffiucult to get off the spring...I usually have to disassemble it in place to get it off the damn spring once I put the spring back in the car. The Aluminum cross bars like to bind on the threaded rod...essentially climbing up the threaded rod. So...if you modified it by puting a sleeve around the threaded rod then it might work ok. I have used an almost identical one made by "Blue Point" (Snap-on's less expensive brand) and it worked fantastic...could have a set of front springs out in a few minutes.
I am the 73%

hutch
Number of Saabs currently owned: 2

Postby hutch » Mon Aug 16, 2010 4:43 pm

I bought a set of these from amazon.com one year and have found they work the best for fitting in the wheel well of a 900.
http://www.amazon.com/Performance-Tool- ... 159&sr=1-5

I used the other two types and they just don't fit the spring setup in a 900 well enough, the ones from amazon with the hoops that you bolt to the spring allow you to maneuver them around enough to find the best spot to clamp down evenly much better then the similar ones shown earlier. The scissor ones from harbor freight would work like a dream but they are just too big and will hit the wheel arch unless perfectly positioned.

jdwertz

Postby jdwertz » Mon Aug 16, 2010 6:44 pm

hmm interesting I might have to give those a shot when I do the spg.

still can anyone explain how these spacers work, I am curious? something like this?

Luke I could also organize a group buy on TSL if you would like, I am sure some guys would be interested in this.

SwedeSport
Number of Saabs currently owned: 5

Postby SwedeSport » Mon Aug 16, 2010 9:52 pm

Those serve to raise or lower the spring, not as a tool, stay away from them, I used them on a car, one broke, and the car veered off the road, and I nearly crashed. They Are useless.
Swedesport Motors, Apparel and Accessories for SAAB Junkies.
Http://Facebook.com/swedesportmotors
Swedesportmotors@gmail.com

jdwertz

Postby jdwertz » Mon Aug 16, 2010 10:10 pm

SwedeSport wrote:Those serve to raise or lower the spring, not as a tool, stay away from them, I used them on a car, one broke, and the car veered off the road, and I nearly crashed. They Are useless.

yea I know I wouldn't ever use them as a tool. I am just trying to figure out how the spacers Luke is talking about work to raise and lower ride height.

Luke
Site Admin

Postby Luke » Tue Aug 17, 2010 9:59 am

The spacers I'm talking about are like thick shims that get placed under the springs, Jack used to sell two styes that could be stacked to gain up to an an inch or so of right height. His were cast aluminum but I would probably make them out of delrin or something similar.

Return to “Random Thoughts”