Land Rover Info?

Post off topic or stuff that otherwise dosen't fit into a specific category here.
airsweden
Number of Saabs currently owned: 0

Land Rover Info?

Postby airsweden » Sun Nov 28, 2010 12:18 pm

I'm thinking about getting a 99-04 Discovery while in FL for the LeMons race on New Years Eve. Anybody have a good reason to talk me out of it? Or, just some insight on model specific issues to look out for as a cruise the used car lots of Dade County? I really want a camel/tan colored FJ60 Diesel with a 5 speed but they don't seem to be as plentiful in Miami for some reason lol.

Danke, JT
99 problems but a SAAB ain't 1

paulh
Number of Saabs currently owned: 2

Re: Land Rover Info?

Postby paulh » Sun Nov 28, 2010 4:04 pm

I'm pretty certain that the Discovery II's are pretty much universally accepted to be total crap. The earlier ones were much better, less crap to go wrong, etc. The FJ60 is likely a much better option, just get one with a gas motor.

Paul

DeLorean
Number of Saabs currently owned: 9

Postby DeLorean » Sun Nov 28, 2010 4:19 pm

Unless the "electronic" suspension has already been converted to a conventional suspension. How about a slightly older range-rover 4.0? All aluminum engine and body pannels, but that won't prevent it from rusting... so look out for that,
Less brake more gas!

Jordan
Site Admin
Number of Saabs currently owned: 6

Postby Jordan » Sun Nov 28, 2010 5:45 pm

airsweden wrote: Anybody have a good reason to talk me out of it?

Danke, JT

12 MPG?

airsweden

Postby airsweden » Sun Nov 28, 2010 6:20 pm

I had heard the later Discovery is better than the early because of Ford's influence and the switch to bosch electro stuffs.

I want a 4wd "wagon" to move race cars, sailboats and hookers around but I will also likely try to sell it in a years time. Doesn't have to be a long term keeper. There is probably little room for MPG improvement in this catagory, maybe I could find a late 90's 4runner; that should be easy to sell when the time comes?

Crazyswede
Team Turbo Troll Crew
Nickname: Mongo
Number of Saabs currently owned: 97

Postby Crazyswede » Mon Nov 29, 2010 11:01 am

The Range Rovers came with the air suspension. Pretty sure that the Disco's were all coil...at least I have only seen coil discos. If you are going to get one I suggest finding a mid 90's disco with the 3.9 litre V8 as it has proven to be good power, fuel injected, and fairly reliable. 95/96 you could get them with a 5 speed. Watch out for rust as they are good at looked great on the outside will being rotted on the inside. Look in the wheel wells, door jams, floors, tailgate etc. The chassis usually stay pretty clean but give it a good look over. The disco 1's are simpler but I have not owned one so I cannot comment on reliability. The tranmsmissions, transfer case, brakes etc are all decent. The engines are good if they are maintained but can get expensive if they have been abused or overheated.

The FJ60 is probably a better vehicle but will also be horrible on fuel mileage if it has the stock 6 cylinder engine which is a design from about 60 years ago. You do see BJ60's for sale now and then (the diesel varient). Good of Toyota to offer BJ's to USA car market. :huh:

Most of the FJ's are 4 speeds though occaisionally you do find one with a 5 speed.
I am the 73%

Jordan
Site Admin
Number of Saabs currently owned: 6

Postby Jordan » Mon Nov 29, 2010 12:03 pm

airsweden wrote:I want a 4wd "wagon" to move race cars, sailboats and hookers around but I will also likely try to sell it in a years time. Doesn't have to be a long term keeper. There is probably little room for MPG improvement in this catagory, maybe I could find a late 90's 4runner; that should be easy to sell when the time comes?

You don't want to say SUV do you :lol:

My family drove a 90's 4runner, actually two different model years, as I think they were leases. It seemed pretty decent. I used to take it to school and take it off the 'yump' on the road there...It steered kind of funny when we turned it in.

airsweden

Postby airsweden » Mon Nov 29, 2010 1:55 pm

Maybe I'll check out some Previa vans. I think the later ones with awd and supercharger would be good enough for my little boat, my little racecar and all them big nasty ho's.

Crazyswede
Team Turbo Troll Crew

Postby Crazyswede » Mon Nov 29, 2010 2:26 pm

I recommend a short wheel base low roof sprinter van. The earlier ones can now be had in the $7000 to $15000 range. They tow well, haul stuff, get great gas mileage.
I am the 73%

airsweden

Postby airsweden » Mon Nov 29, 2010 2:47 pm

I've kinda looked but they're still too pricey. I want something around $5k max. Seems like you can get even the better of remaining Previas for well under $3k now. Just hope there aren't any Rovers on the lot to lure me back.

99Super
Number of Saabs currently owned: 13

Postby 99Super » Mon Nov 29, 2010 3:42 pm

For $3-5K you can get a pretty sweet AWD Astro. 4.3 hauls/tows great. Available w/ locking rear diff, tow package, etc. Inexpensive Chevy parts, respectable mileage. Will just fit 4x8 sheets of plywood/sheetrock.
Last year I towed a 99 to WA w/ no problems and still got 17mpg, I've even hauled BMW's and other motorcycles/scooters inside.
It has 230K miles and runs perfect, though it's getting a bit of lifter tap on morning startup. I don't know about rust issues. Nothing rusts here...
When I buy another (and probably will before too long), I'll find a low miles, AWD 2003-2006 Cargo, replace the barn doors w/ the dutch doors I prefer and build the inside camper-style. 2003-06 have 16" 6-bolt wheels and 4 wheel disc brakes, though I've never had braking issues, even when going down steep mountains towing 99's...

john

Crazyswede
Team Turbo Troll Crew

Postby Crazyswede » Mon Nov 29, 2010 4:16 pm

99Super wrote:For $3-5K you can get a pretty sweet AWD Astro. 4.3 hauls/tows great. Available w/ locking rear diff, tow package, etc. Inexpensive Chevy parts, respectable mileage. Will just fit 4x8 sheets of plywood/sheetrock.
Last year I towed a 99 to WA w/ no problems and still got 17mpg, I've even hauled BMW's and other motorcycles/scooters inside.
It has 230K miles and runs perfect, though it's getting a bit of lifter tap on morning startup. I don't know about rust issues. Nothing rusts here...
When I buy another (and probably will before too long), I'll find a low miles, AWD 2003-2006 Cargo, replace the barn doors w/ the dutch doors I prefer and build the inside camper-style. 2003-06 have 16" 6-bolt wheels and 4 wheel disc brakes, though I've never had braking issues, even when going down steep mountains towing 99's...

john

which year did they fix the "impaled by steering column" issue? I know it was a problem on the earlier ones.
I am the 73%

99Super

Postby 99Super » Mon Nov 29, 2010 6:15 pm

Musta been when they got airbags. The later body style (96>) w/ the longer rounded nose actually has a pretty good safety record. I checked into that when I bought mine. Most likely damage in a head-on/offset crash is to the driver's left foot and I tend to tuck my foot back rather than have my left leg extended into the footwell.
The seats sit even higher and more upright than a 99/900, if that's possible...

john

paulh
Number of Saabs currently owned: 2

Postby paulh » Mon Nov 29, 2010 6:50 pm

99Super wrote:For $3-5K you can get a pretty sweet AWD Astro. 4

Check out the IIHS crashtest of the Astro van, it is disturbing how poorly it performed. Total passenger compartment collapse. GM car for ya.

99Super

Postby 99Super » Wed Dec 01, 2010 10:09 am

W/ all my junk yard cruising for parts, I've only ever seen 2 Astros dead due to accident. One for a (what looked repairable) front end collosion and the other for a huge rear end collision. That one was for sale for parts as it was still driveable... And the things are thick around here. I have a feeling the tests don't accurately replicate "real world" results. :dunno:

They certainly can't be worse than Ford Full Size vans, those things are notorious 'round here for wiping out whole families/sports teams/church groups...

john

Return to “Random Thoughts”