Other Hobbies / Interests

Post off topic or stuff that otherwise dosen't fit into a specific category here.
TunnanXWD
Nickname: Yuki
Number of Saabs currently owned: 2

Re: Other Hobbies / Interests

Postby TunnanXWD » Tue Feb 01, 2011 9:59 pm

This is perhaps the most difficult time of year for me. After a medical issue my ski days were done and that was indeed the main part of my life or as they say "it defined my heart and soul" and The snow chase started in November and did not end till "May and then for my son with his racing, it was off to Austria to Tux or Hood or Whistler.

Best was working with some folks who were hitting mid-age and thought they couldn't till you show them that skiing is a game of subtle finesse and not brawn. The average good skier gets by with a quite body and gentle changes to the edges. The minute I saw the College Lacrosse team heading my way I wanted to hide.

There were the canoes, and shooting along with some fishing.

And then it was gone. I'll work on "another me" but I kind of liked the old way.
Last edited by TunnanXWD on Tue Feb 01, 2011 10:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

max
Site Admin
Number of Saabs currently owned: 0

Postby max » Tue Feb 01, 2011 10:04 pm

I really need to get back into beer brewing. Only really brewed a few kits, but it's fun.
-Max
"My car is neither discreet, nor off-road worthy." :huh:

SwedeSport
Number of Saabs currently owned: 5

Postby SwedeSport » Tue Feb 01, 2011 10:28 pm

With the collective knowledge on the forum, we can put our minds together and build one hell of a still. The rally car can be converted to run on our own brand of "alternative fuel". We can chill and serve any remaining fuel at the awards banquet.

As a kid I would sneak into my grandfathers workshop to see what he was building. Usually RC boats, or train layouts and such. A big part of my interests came from my fascination with his projects. It was heartbreaking to watch him try to pick up his tools after a stroke left him paralyzed in a wheelchair. Things can change quickly, so do what you do while you still can.
Swedesport Motors, Apparel and Accessories for SAAB Junkies.
Http://Facebook.com/swedesportmotors
Swedesportmotors@gmail.com

SwedeSport

Postby SwedeSport » Wed Feb 09, 2011 11:33 am

Heres some shots of my H.O. slot car collection. I think I have somewhere north of 100 cars in my pit box, but I only shot a sampling of some of the cooler cars. Some of them are "works in progress" and some are "race quality". Most are just done as motorized model cars and are just for fun. Its been a while since I have been actively racing, but there was a scale 1/4 mile dragstrip that I ran several different classes at. I also raced a dirt (not really) oval track in the PA Tyco Dirt Modified series.

I would eventually like to build a layout with a road course, and maybe a scale model of the Duryea Hillclimb course. Limited space, time, and money have pushed that to the back burner.

Enjoy!
Attachments
drag.jpg
Drag racers, the brass rods sticking out the back keep the pin from jumping out of the slot when you hammer it.
drag.jpg (82.55 KiB) Viewed 4243 times
dirt.jpg
Dirt style cars. The dark blue body to the left is a Saab 900 dirt modified.

SwedeSport

Postby SwedeSport » Wed Feb 09, 2011 11:40 am

More slot cars
Attachments
rigs.jpg
The blue one is gonna be styled after a European road racer truck. The white one a replica of Ken Shockleys triple jet truck "Shockwave"
sox.jpg
Replica of the Sox and Martin 70 Cuda.
sox.jpg (57 KiB) Viewed 4239 times

SwedeSport

Postby SwedeSport » Wed Feb 09, 2011 11:47 am

More still
Attachments
on road 2.jpg
More road racing cars.
on road.jpg
Road race cars, Notice the incredibly rare Saab 99 Matchbox Powertrax slot car to the left.

SwedeSport

Postby SwedeSport » Wed Jul 06, 2011 11:50 am

One of my tee shirt customers runs a program called "Bike Pottstown". Between the river trail project, and the recently added bicycle lanes around town, he is trying to promote bicycling. The Bike Pottstown program consists of several local businesses that host a bike rack out front. You can walk into the biz and with some I.D. you can borrow one of the towns bikes. Tom, the promoter of the program asked me to ride one of my bikes in the 4th of July parade with the group. I pulled the 79 Sting-Ray out and spruced it up a bit.

It needs a few components changed, a smaller crank/sprocket assy., and the 3 spd coaster hub and associated hardware. The springer fork is a reproduction and does not fit as well as I would like, so Ill have to source an original. I need a repro blackwall brick pattern front tire, and a repro whitewall knobby for the back. The only non original Schwinn part will be the seat post which was fabricated from a length of the original post, and a curved "climbing bar". The seat is off an earlier Schwinn, and the handlebars are off a childs size 20" Hollywood. It can then come apart to get repainted and the chrome will get stripped off in favor of a custom finish.

All in all it rides pretty well. It's kinda like an old Flat Track motorcycle.
Attachments
schwinn flat-track.jpg
schwinn flat-track.jpg (62.71 KiB) Viewed 4176 times

Crazyswede
Team Turbo Troll Crew
Nickname: Mongo
Number of Saabs currently owned: 97

Postby Crazyswede » Wed Jul 06, 2011 12:13 pm

next time I am at my parents house maybe I'll snap a picture of my matchbox car collection
I am the 73%

Geoff
Team Turbo Troll Crew
Nickname: Geoff
Number of Saabs currently owned: 6

Postby Geoff » Wed Jul 06, 2011 12:40 pm

Crazyswede wrote:next time I am at my parents house maybe I'll snap a picture of my matchbox car collection

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
The kind of dirty that doesn't wash off :eyebrows:

hutch

Postby hutch » Sun Feb 19, 2012 8:55 pm

To bump this thread...

I've been brewing a whole lot more beer lately and stepped up my equipment to what is called "all grain" meaning I use, surprisingly, all grains instead of malt extract like I used to. I also picked up a part time job working at a beer and wine making store so the hobby has become essentially free :thumbsup:

Grains for a delicious red IPA I made about two weeks back:
Some of my new equipment, the red cooler is where you "mash" the beer and convert the grains into delicious beer:
Specialized thermometer for brewing:
Turkey fryer that works amazingly well at boiling:
Also got a fridge and kegs to dispense what I make:

Hopefully I can come out and support the SaabRally crew at an event this year with what I can contribute :beer:

Jordan
Site Admin
Number of Saabs currently owned: 6

Postby Jordan » Sun Feb 19, 2012 8:58 pm

Awesome!

SwedeSport

Postby SwedeSport » Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:16 pm

I won't begin to think I know anything about how to make adult beverages, but after watching "Moonshiners" I kinda think I want to try and build a still out in the backyard.

hutch

Postby hutch » Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:43 pm

I pretty much love that show. As staged as it is it is still highly entertaining, I hope it gets renewed. There was a pretty cool show with the guy from Dogfish Head on Discovery about making beer but I don't think many non beer enthusiasts liked it. Making liquor is a whole different game which is why it's a little trickier and illegal but the basic idea is the same.

99Super
Number of Saabs currently owned: 13

Postby 99Super » Mon Feb 20, 2012 10:35 am

We have a super cool Distillery-pub here in Boise. They make their own Gin/Vodka/Rum on site.
Fun process to watch!

john

SwedeSport

Postby SwedeSport » Sat Jul 21, 2012 11:00 pm

I picked up a 1/43 scale slot car set at a yard sale. I got an idea to make a layout for my nephew. It will be his first slot car track so I figured I would make it cool. It's just a kids type entry level set. It runs off 4 D batteries, but I am gonna substitute a 6v transformer from a pnone. I'm using luan plywood for the roadway,and 1x4 to create some elevation change. Once the framework is complete Ill staple some polyester fabric over the frame and brush fiberglas resin onto the fabric. To finish Ill paint the surface grass green and sprinke train set grass onto the surface. The track gets screwed to the top with the guardrails from the set.

Should be as much fun for the kid, as well as other adult kids.

Same yardsale netted a bunch of 1/43 cars. I just happened to have some Saab die cast cars in the same scale. I happen to have a small vacuum former and resin casting stuff,... So you can all guess where I am going with this.
Attachments
2012-07-21 21.30.03.jpg
2012-07-21 21.52.05.jpg
2012-07-21 21.55.03.jpg
with some minor tweaking of the wheelbase and track width, the chassis can fit copies from these bodies

Return to “Random Thoughts”