Other Hobbies / Interests

Post off topic or stuff that otherwise dosen't fit into a specific category here.
ahanson
Number of Saabs currently owned: 4

Re: Other Hobbies / Interests

Postby ahanson » Tue Jan 05, 2016 4:07 pm

As the resident-owner of a cheap house in Vermont, I admire your fortitude. I wish I had gutted our place when we bought it 15 years ago. We stabilized the sloping floors and every year or two we replace some sill or try to have something updated. It would have been cleaner and more reassuring to do all the structural stuff at once.
Congrats on the purchase. Bridgewater is an interesting town.

hutch
Number of Saabs currently owned: 2

Postby hutch » Sun Jan 10, 2016 8:19 pm

Though I've been trying to get back on track with working on my Saabs with the mild winter I figured I'd show some of the other recent hobbies...

First an update on the guitar, changed some of the pickups around but still just love the figure on the maple top...

Then onto the beer making, been on a Belgian kick for the past long while, specifically using a funky yeast called Brettanomyces. Its basically the cool cigarette-smoking, jazz-listening uncle of the usual yeast used to make beer. It was actually Louis Pasteur that first figured out what it was as its usually considered a contamination but it can make all sorts of wild flavors if you get the right strain. Anyway, building up some cells:
And chugging away, left to right is the two Brett beers followed by a sour beer I made about 7 months ago and will open around the 12 month mark to sample. The idea is to make a sour beer every year so I can blend old and new and keep a pipeline going...

hutch

Postby hutch » Wed Jun 15, 2016 8:17 pm

Figured since you guys are probably fans of electronics you may enjoy seeing this :rock on:

I built a guitar amp, its a sort of hybrid of the old Marshall's of the 1960's, one channel is the 'Bluesbreaker' made famous by Clapton and the other channel the 'JTM 45' played by nearly everyone in the 60's and 70's.

All buttoned up:

Checking voltages so I don't blow myself up, some seriously dangerous stuff, about 600v in places :-O

Waiting on some Tubes to come in tomorrow then I can get cranking and then the cabinet to house it will arrive in a few days...

Jordan
Site Admin
Number of Saabs currently owned: 6

Postby Jordan » Thu Jun 16, 2016 6:54 am

That's pretty sweet!

hutch

Postby hutch » Sun Oct 23, 2016 7:17 pm

New Vintage Amp Day...

This one is an old Fender Princeton Reverb, a very famous amp thats been recorded thousands of times from Jazz to Country to Rock and Roll. This one was a bit of a basketcase but I changed out a lot of the capacitors and resistors to proper spec and changed the circuit a bit to an older version. I have a pretty fancy amp modeler that does a good job of reproducing all these old tube amps, but theres is something charming about these things.

Return to “Random Thoughts”