did a little ice riding Sunday

Post off topic or stuff that otherwise dosen't fit into a specific category here.
Crazyswede
Team Turbo Troll Crew
Nickname: Mongo
Number of Saabs currently owned: 97

did a little ice riding Sunday

Postby Crazyswede » Mon Jan 10, 2011 7:31 pm

Went out with some friends and did some lake riding on Sunday. 3 bikes, 4 riders...we just swapped bikes around so it worked. These are what the tires look like:

A short clip of myself on a 950 Super enduro coming into the corner that I was least comfortable with.

this is on a 950 Super enduro...about 100hp Vtwin. a lot of fun on the ice. Had it up to about 70 on the high speed turn on the far side of the course.

http://crankshaft.smugmug.com/gallery/1 ... XUqqM-A-LB
I am the 73%

Geoff
Team Turbo Troll Crew
Nickname: Geoff
Number of Saabs currently owned: 6

Re: did a little ice riding Sunday

Postby Geoff » Tue Jan 11, 2011 2:15 pm

Where did the hardened sharp screws come from? I saw the same screws at EMS the other day for mounting directly into the sole of your shoe. $25 for enough to do two shoes. They've got to be cheaper in bulk for tires!
The kind of dirty that doesn't wash off :eyebrows:

Crazyswede
Team Turbo Troll Crew
Nickname: Mongo
Number of Saabs currently owned: 97

Postby Crazyswede » Tue Jan 11, 2011 5:01 pm

I think they are called Kold Kutters. People have tried running them in car tires but I hear they just tear out.

I am the 73%

Geoff
Team Turbo Troll Crew
Nickname: Geoff
Number of Saabs currently owned: 6

Postby Geoff » Wed Jan 12, 2011 5:40 pm

Ah yeah, I remember looking into those a few years ago. $19 for 250 screws is much better than $25 for 25 screws at EMS :lol:

I've been using some strong adhesives for plastic to metal bonding at work. We actually developed the adhesive with Loctite a few years ago. Its really good at bonding materials that are typically difficult to bond to. It would be interesting to try some of that adhesive to hold the screws to rubber tires. The downside is that it's a UV cure adhesive so you'd only get a full cure around the head of the screw and you'd have to use a UV wand to cure it. Heating them for days on end will also increase the bond strength. The glue also has florescence in it so it will glow under a black light and look really freaky.
The kind of dirty that doesn't wash off :eyebrows:

Return to “Random Thoughts”