Another powerplant in classic 900? Posible?

Post off topic or stuff that otherwise dosen't fit into a specific category here.
Raul
Number of Saabs currently owned: 0

Another powerplant in classic 900? Posible?

Postby Raul » Wed Feb 02, 2011 3:15 am

I was thinking if another's car engine and transmission setup can easily be setup on C900. I can't think of any other powerplant that would fit without major chassis rework. I was thinking of Audi Quatro and just using the front wheel drive function, or Subaru. Any ideas?

Crazyswede
Team Turbo Troll Crew
Nickname: Mongo
Number of Saabs currently owned: 97

Re: Another powerplant in classic 900? Posible?

Postby Crazyswede » Wed Feb 02, 2011 7:15 am

Electric motors and batteries would work well. install a small diesel tractor engine to run as a generator, a small bank of batteries, and run electric motors to the front wheels. The diesel can run at its ideal torque generating rpm to run a charging system for the batteries which act like electrical accumulators so that the motor(s) always have power on hand.
I am the 73%

SwedeSport
Number of Saabs currently owned: 5

Postby SwedeSport » Wed Feb 02, 2011 1:15 pm

Build a big hamster wheel under the hood, take a trip to New York City and catch yourself some big ass sewer rats. Im sure the city will appreciate your efforts. If you can find a way to capture (and repurpose) the rat shit and piss, you'll have yourself a green, 0 emission vehicle. (Do rats Fart?) It could even help to reduce landfill waste since rats will eat ANYTHING. Just dangle a half eaten Swanson Tv dinner from the rad support.
Swedesport Motors, Apparel and Accessories for SAAB Junkies.
Http://Facebook.com/swedesportmotors
Swedesportmotors@gmail.com

DeLorean
Number of Saabs currently owned: 9

Postby DeLorean » Wed Feb 02, 2011 9:21 pm

You want a different engine, get a different car. A Saab is a Saab, it should have Saab engine.
Less brake more gas!

99Super
Number of Saabs currently owned: 13

Postby 99Super » Thu Feb 03, 2011 12:05 am

DeLorean wrote:You want a different engine, get a different car. A Saab is a Saab, it should have Saab engine.

:thumbsup:

SwedeSport
Number of Saabs currently owned: 5

Postby SwedeSport » Thu Feb 03, 2011 11:16 am

Seriously Im all for alternate power in cars. There are a few 99's and 900's running around with V8 swaps. I have seen a few, and while there is a substantial amount of work to make it happen, it does make for a neat car. I have always wanted to stick a GM LS crate motor in a early Miata. It would be very similar to a Shelby Cobra.

With the advent of all the new kit cars, and reproduction classic cars running around, and the dawning of an age of alternative fuels, and green vehicles. I believe we are on the cusp of seeing some really innovative custom cars and hot rods. Factory Five is making a new 33 Ford roadster kit that would make a killer fenderless Green Hot Rod. Just stuff a Chevy Volt powertrain in it, or more correctly, whatever Fords electric vehicle ends up being.

The federal government has been trying to take apart the performance and hod rodding industry for years. Some states do not allow anything outside of OEM parts to be installed on a vehicle. Do it now while you still can.

I encourage people to think outside the box when hot rodding their cars. But some cars only seen to work well with their own proprietary powerplants in them. Saab is one of them. While there is some range within the brand to work with, It should still be a Saab based platform. Why not build a hot rodded Saab 4 cyl, and try to convert it to Propane or something like that. Use the standard engine, but with an alternate fuel source.
Swedesport Motors, Apparel and Accessories for SAAB Junkies.
Http://Facebook.com/swedesportmotors
Swedesportmotors@gmail.com

airsweden

Postby airsweden » Thu Feb 03, 2011 12:40 pm

I'd love to have an early 99 running on batteries. Something like Jordan's '71 or even a 4 dr just for around town in the summer. I think it would be neat to try one of those low-tech motors from a little fork lift, mail truck or whatever. It could be mated to a stripped down 900 auto trans.... just use the sealed final drive and ditch most every thing else not needed to hang it it the engine bay.
99 problems but a SAAB ain't 1

Raul

Postby Raul » Thu Feb 10, 2011 11:32 pm

Problem is if you realy like classic 900 then there is nothing you can do about crappy weak gearbox. I know you can make the box better but it is still weak compared to other cars. And it looks like there is no similar setups as C900 to make a swap

Return to “Random Thoughts”