Legal Driving Lights (MV code)

Post off topic or stuff that otherwise dosen't fit into a specific category here.
TunnanXWD
Nickname: Yuki
Number of Saabs currently owned: 2

Legal Driving Lights (MV code)

Postby TunnanXWD » Sat Mar 19, 2011 9:11 am

My first foray onto this fine forum I asked about driving or fogs and was getting, after surgery, ready to order. It hit me that I better find out what the law says so I called the local SP barracks. In essence:

- no more than 2
- white or yellow
- DOT/SAE approved
- no less than 12" nor more than 42" from ground level
- aimed as not to distract or blind oncoming traffic
- 55w (SAE/DOT)

Most of this stuff is covered in NJ under 39: 3-51 thru 3-53 of the motor vehicle code. Now the interesting part is that the trooper was very helpful and dug out the book because he didn't know this stuff off the top of his head, but we started out with "Like the KC things that need to be covered". Seems it would be best to write down the citation and keep it in the manual if you get stopped with 55w lamps.

"Catch 22" Note that in the Hella catalog, they list yellow as being NOT SAE/DOT approved. However, they list blue as having SAE/DOT approval.

Now, normal beams are 55w so this may be a big disappointment but I have the Hella Black Magic in mind.

SwedeSport
Number of Saabs currently owned: 5

Re: Legal Driving Lights (MV code)

Postby SwedeSport » Sat Mar 19, 2011 9:33 am

If the cop had to dig out a book to find out the legality... chances are he wont know when he passes you on the street. Besides you have to get caught before you did something wrong. I think you are likely to find more resistance from the inspection station.
Swedesport Motors, Apparel and Accessories for SAAB Junkies.
Http://Facebook.com/swedesportmotors
Swedesportmotors@gmail.com

Jordan
Site Admin
Number of Saabs currently owned: 6

Postby Jordan » Sat Mar 19, 2011 9:40 am

There goes every single rally car being "street legal" in NJ. :lol:

TunnanXWD

Postby TunnanXWD » Sat Mar 19, 2011 10:31 am

Look at the positive side. He took the time to look it up and actually as the Sgt. he probably had a refresher at roll call today. It is better to know that you are in compliance and under which statute when you are stopped.

Basically, one of the things was said was .. don't do anything stupid ... I mean if you are coming down the road with Flamethrowers blasting you really don't deserve to be there, I mean if you are running multiple high wattage?

What are you running on the street?

max
Site Admin
Number of Saabs currently owned: 0

Postby max » Sat Mar 19, 2011 11:15 am

I'm not sure what the exact laws are here in CT, but I think generally, in probably every state, you'd be safe if they are indeed white or yellow, not blinding, and not above headlight level. Mine are mounted below bumper level, and are certainly blinding to oncoming motorists, but I only use them as high-beam supplements. I've never had a complaint or even a second-look from law enforcement.
-Max
"My car is neither discreet, nor off-road worthy." :huh:

TunnanXWD

Postby TunnanXWD » Sun Mar 20, 2011 10:28 am

I'll guess that laws probably bounce off a federal standard and there is probably even an exclusion for factory equipment. As I was typing the original, I was thinking about those rectangular Hella's on my 1989 Saab 9000 and they were below 12" for sure.

The laws are probably the same state to state with perhaps some exceptions for places like Alaska?

Since I plan to mount driving, I want them higher than fogs and pretty much, they will be even with the regular beams.

SwedeSport
Number of Saabs currently owned: 5

Postby SwedeSport » Sun Mar 20, 2011 12:44 pm

As far as PA goes, I think you can get away with upgraded lights and additional lights. The guy that inspects my cars says the criteria is that they function properly, and are not cracked or broken. I have Hella H4s (200mm) with 90 watt low and 130 watt high beams. never failed inspection. I also have 4 Hella 500's on the front rally bar. I usually have them off when my inspection is due. But the inspection guy says as long as they work he has to pass them. The old rule was that they had to illuminate with the high beams if they mount above the bumper, and with the low beams when mounted below. I think that might still be a factor in the law, but I'm not sure.

Mine are wired to come on with the highs (above bumper) and I have 2 fog light switches so I can defeat each set of lights independently. When I hit the brights I have 480 watts of illumination! Passing yellow road signs is an experience.
Swedesport Motors, Apparel and Accessories for SAAB Junkies.
Http://Facebook.com/swedesportmotors
Swedesportmotors@gmail.com

Crazyswede
Team Turbo Troll Crew
Nickname: Mongo
Number of Saabs currently owned: 97

Postby Crazyswede » Mon Mar 21, 2011 7:13 am

Its a little known fact that 17% of the prison population in the USA is made up of people who violated the headlight laws and ran non DOT driving lights or had more than 2 lights mounted at a time.
I am the 73%

Geoff
Team Turbo Troll Crew
Nickname: Geoff
Number of Saabs currently owned: 6

Postby Geoff » Mon Mar 21, 2011 12:18 pm

Crazyswede wrote:Its a little known fact that 17% of the prison population in the USA is made up of people who violated the headlight laws and ran non DOT driving lights or had more than 2 lights mounted at a time.

:lol:

Yeah, I really wouldn't worry about it too much. So long as it looks OK there isn't going to be a problem.

The only time in the past 13 years when I've ever been questioned about auxiliary lights was:
1) When I missed a turn in northern Maine (where they don't have town names, instead they have townships and ranges such as T6R8) and turned around and a cop saw me and decided he wanted to talk. "What are those big lights for!?" 'Moose' "Oh, that's a good idea!"
2) At inspection, "The law says that if they're there they have to work". Which they do, otherwise I wouldn't have them. Generally I take them off for inspection because its less for the garage to be suspicious about.
The kind of dirty that doesn't wash off :eyebrows:

matt
Turbo Troll Crew Chief
Number of Saabs currently owned: 0

Postby matt » Tue Mar 29, 2011 8:47 pm

4 years and no police or inspection issues
"we changed a flat in 4 minutes, twice"
1994 9000 Aero (intake, stg 4 ecu, 3" TBE, clutch + broken trans mod) *sold*
2001 Subaru Outback Wagon *sold*
2006 Subaru WRX Wagon I'm back on boost!
ImageImage

Return to “Random Thoughts”