Rims: Hard or Soft ??

Post off topic or stuff that otherwise dosen't fit into a specific category here.
TunnanXWD
Nickname: Yuki
Number of Saabs currently owned: 2

Rims: Hard or Soft ??

Postby TunnanXWD » Fri May 13, 2011 6:59 pm

So I got to thinking about rims. Yeah, it took awhile but I got around tuit finally.

One poster said that the "manhole" wheels were the softest out there.

It has often been a complaint that the Viggen rims were constantly bending and cracking.

Now the Viggen I could perhaps notch up to the fact that kids often put the low profile rubber on and there isn't a lot between the rim and reality of a pot hole. The manhole was before that (for better or worse), trend though.

Is it possible that Saab was a bit more than "quirky" and actually did something with the material design that allowed you to get home or back from the middle of East Bumm-Fudge. Instead of the steering or suspension breaking a critical part perhaps the rim was designed to be sacrificial?

Yeah, probably giving them credit for something that "just is what it is" but what the heck?

99Super
Number of Saabs currently owned: 13

Re: Rims: Hard or Soft ??

Postby 99Super » Sun May 15, 2011 11:27 am

It's possible.
I've seen several 99/900s w/ bent control arms, but no damage to the soccerball that hit the curb...

john

JeffCullen
Number of Saabs currently owned: 4

Postby JeffCullen » Mon Sep 26, 2011 7:51 pm

I can attest to the Manholes being soft... we're quite fond of the cosmetics in my group, and are sad to see that they bend if you just look at them too hard...

Geoff
Team Turbo Troll Crew
Nickname: Geoff
Number of Saabs currently owned: 6

Postby Geoff » Wed Sep 28, 2011 12:09 pm

SAAB used to lighten & weaken the soccerballs for rally so they'd break/bend them before destroying suspension mounts. I don't know if that same thought process went into production cars or not. Incas and Manhole covers are soft. Minilites (dealer option) and Sunburst wheels are stronger as are most of the wheels for the newer cars. Someone at SAAB told my dad that the Viggen wheels are actually fairly strong but coupled with the stock low profile tires they get easily damaged.
The kind of dirty that doesn't wash off :eyebrows:

Return to “Random Thoughts”