saw 3 99s today .. I think ..

Post off topic or stuff that otherwise dosen't fit into a specific category here.
sjones

saw 3 99s today .. I think ..

Postby sjones » Mon Jul 25, 2011 7:55 pm

I was not driving, but was in a work party going out to a retrieve some antique switching equipment up in Skagit County. We were out on HWY 9 when suddenly this rallied up notchback passes us on the opposite side of the
road. The engine clearly tuned up .. sounded great. Then I caught a glimpse of what could have been another 99 (though it could have been a 900) parked on the side of the road closer to Big Lake. On the way back I looked for
it, but it was gone.

Then closer to home (still not driving) I caught a glimpse of a 78 or 79 turbo (with incas) parked at an apartment
complex around 92nd and 15th.

3 in one day and it wasn't even an event. ;-)

squaab99t
Number of Saabs currently owned: 4

Re: saw 3 99s today .. I think ..

Postby squaab99t » Mon Jul 25, 2011 9:36 pm

sjones wrote:I was not driving, but was in a work party going out to a retrieve some antique switching equipment up in Skagit County. We were out on HWY 9 when suddenly this rallied up notchback passes us on the opposite side of the
road. The engine clearly tuned up .. sounded great. Then I caught a glimpse of what could have been another 99 (though it could have been a 900) parked on the side of the road closer to Big Lake. On the way back I looked for
it, but it was gone.

Then closer to home (still not driving) I caught a glimpse of a 78 or 79 turbo (with incas) parked at an apartment
complex around 92nd and 15th.

3 in one day and it wasn't even an event. ;-)

99 coming out of the woodwork? Must be all the inspiration SaabRally provides :dunno:
What color was the 99 notchback?
BTW quick look check for the quad head lights and taillights, unique to the 99s.

sjones

Postby sjones » Mon Jul 25, 2011 10:40 pm

The notchback was 75 or so, decals or some sort of artwork on it. Blue and purple. It was going fast.
The first parked car was tan (from what I could see), round head lights .. late 70s.
The turbo back in Seattle was dark grey with reddish paint/primer on the left front fender. I didn't see enough of it
to see if it had a sunroof, it was a 3dr combi with incas.

I occasionally see a tan 3dr combi 1980ish 99/900 around Shoreline.

And I almost always see that mid 70s 99 with the swedish flag on top parked outside the repair shop N. of Greenlake.

I think Scanwest has a black notchback that they've been working on.

sjones

Postby sjones » Sun Aug 14, 2011 12:43 pm

Finally saw that gray 99 with the incas again. This time on Capitol Hill last Tuesday. We were having lunch and she spotted it driving down the street and I saw that it had a 99LE badge on the back.

Its funny, I've seen more 96s around Seattle than 99s. Still quite a few 900s which can be spied on a daily drive though.

Geoff
Team Turbo Troll Crew
Nickname: Geoff
Number of Saabs currently owned: 6

Postby Geoff » Mon Aug 15, 2011 8:41 am

Must be nice to live in a place where the cars don't turn into rolling rust holes.
I think the last time I saw a 99 on the road that wasn't going to a SAAB event/rally/someone I was going to visit was 2003.
I saw a nice 96 on the highway last weekend.
The kind of dirty that doesn't wash off :eyebrows:

Edward
Number of Saabs currently owned: 20

Postby Edward » Fri Sep 23, 2011 4:17 pm

Washington state, the land of vintage Saabs :thumbsup: I spent a month up there back in 96. During that time I counted 11 99s, a couple of 96s, and a Sonett III. It has been longer than that since I have seen another 99 on the road here in Texas. A local guy has a 73LE 2dr stashed away, which he has offered to sell to me a couple of times over the years. He never answers me back though :dunno:

sjones

Postby sjones » Fri Sep 23, 2011 6:31 pm

I saw a 96 today. Passed me by and I had the windows down. Thats the best sound to hear coming out of an old saab .. (pa pa pa pa pa pa...)

The car looked like it had been completely restored.

Geoff
Team Turbo Troll Crew
Nickname: Geoff
Number of Saabs currently owned: 6

Postby Geoff » Mon Sep 26, 2011 4:08 pm

I :heart: two strokes!
The kind of dirty that doesn't wash off :eyebrows:

Return to “Random Thoughts”