TIG Welders

Post off topic or stuff that otherwise dosen't fit into a specific category here.
squaab99t
Number of Saabs currently owned: 4

Re: TIG Welders

Postby squaab99t » Mon Apr 11, 2016 1:34 pm

Heading in the right direction. Pretty thick stuff. 1/4" to a 3/8 dropout? How many amps and the rod dia? Don't be afraid to pour the coals to it. How are you propping the torch hand?

jdwertz
Number of Saabs currently owned: 1

Postby jdwertz » Mon Apr 11, 2016 4:46 pm

3/8" dropout to 3/16" plates. 120 amps, 3/32 rod. Puddle focused on the dropout.

Propped my torch hand using and cardboard box on top of the wheel. Kept the wheel on and tightened to minimize warping. Used the circular motion of the wheel to move my torch hand around the curved sections.

DrewP
Nickname: TANK

Postby DrewP » Mon Apr 11, 2016 6:18 pm

Looks good!

You might be able to get the bead to discolor less if you turn the argon flow up a little, or hang out with the torch over the bead when you finish and run the post-flow longer.
"You can educate ignorance, but you can't fix stupid."

squaab99t

Postby squaab99t » Mon Apr 11, 2016 6:59 pm

jdwertz wrote:3/8" dropout to 3/16" plates. 120 amps, 3/32 rod. Puddle focused on the dropout.

Propped my torch hand using and cardboard box on top of the wheel. Kept the wheel on and tightened to minimize warping. Used the circular motion of the wheel to move my torch hand around the curved sections.

Arm chair welding I say it looks cold and the 120 amps confirms that. I would think 175-200 amp range. You might want to try some coupons with that setting. 120 looks like very little penetration. Now for the application it might be fine but if you are going to do it, do it right.

jdwertz

Postby jdwertz » Tue Apr 12, 2016 10:36 am

My thought was that I didn't need a lot of penetration for this application. I didn't want to risk messing up the face of the axle plate, otherwise it could interfere with the wheel axle. Though Dennis you may be right, it does look a little cold. I'll give it the BFH test.

squaab99t

Postby squaab99t » Tue Apr 12, 2016 1:57 pm

jdwertz wrote:My thought was that I didn't need a lot of penetration for this application. I didn't want to risk messing up the face of the axle plate, otherwise it could interfere with the wheel axle. Though Dennis you may be right, it does look a little cold. I'll give it the BFH test.

I'm thinking you will be just fine in this app. Doubler plate acting in bending. 1/3 the way to the neutral axis so it will see some load in peel. Your full lenght weld, unless it is just sitting on the base metal should be fine.
Look up Miller or Lincoln TIG calculators. It will give you a guideline for amps, electrode and filler dia. Per joint type.
Keep after it. Practice and more practice. It looks like you can buy those doublers or just buy some bar stock or strap in the correct thicknesses, in mild steel and practice.

I liked the wheel used as a hand prop lazy Susan.

Return to “Random Thoughts”