TIG Welders

Post off topic or stuff that otherwise dosen't fit into a specific category here.
DrewP
Nickname: TANK
Number of Saabs currently owned: 1

Re: TIG Welders

Postby DrewP » Mon Apr 20, 2015 1:21 pm

Being comfortable and steady is absolutely key. I remember when I was learning I'd find myself doing things like tensing up my shoulders or holding my breath or sticking my tongue out...

Relaxing is very important, and you'll have a hard time doing that standing up hunched over at a funny angle.

Having something to prop your torch hand on will help a lot too. Think of it like playing pool, or painting.

I have met several people who would practice controlling the tip of a pencil just above a sheet of paper with their hand in different positions too.

Another handy trick I've learned that's especially helpful if you have a heavy water cooled torch lead is to wrap the cable bundle around your arm so that you support the weight of the cables with your forearm, rather than letting the weight tug on the torch. Then when you move through the bead or re-position there isn't a chance of the cables snagging, or falling off your lap and tugging on the torch or something like that.
Attachments
IMG_20150420_111723[1].jpg
"You can educate ignorance, but you can't fix stupid."

squaab99t
Number of Saabs currently owned: 4

Postby squaab99t » Mon Apr 20, 2015 9:49 pm

DrewP wrote:Being comfortable and steady is absolutely key. I remember when I was learning I'd find myself doing things like tensing up my shoulders or holding my breath or sticking my tongue out...

Relaxing is very important, and you'll have a hard time doing that standing up hunched over at a funny angle.

Having something to prop your torch hand on will help a lot too. Think of it like playing pool, or painting.

An important tool in my welding tool box:
IMG_3913 (1).jpg

Strive for perfection. This video is the sex, and an inspiration for me.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2nFNklm8jjs
ToxicFab
He has created a spin off company selling TIG consumables.
http://www.radweldingsupplies.com/
I got to say she helps with the hard to reach places. I had about 1 1/4" electrode stick out past the cup to get into some tight places and it still gave excellent argon coverage.

jdwertz

Postby jdwertz » Tue Apr 21, 2015 9:55 am

Wowza, great video and excellent tips from everyone thank you.

Dennis, where did you get your torch holder? I also am digging the table bench clamp toxicfab is using in that video, any ideas on where I could acquire one? Welding on my bench vise is less than ideal.

squaab99t

Postby squaab99t » Tue Apr 21, 2015 1:18 pm

jdwertz wrote:Wowza, great video and excellent tips from everyone thank you.

Dennis, where did you get your torch holder? I also am digging the table bench clamp toxicfab is using in that video, any ideas on where I could acquire one? Welding on my bench vise is less than ideal.

One could buy a torch holder, but I made that one. Even used a magnet from a Saab 4x10 rear speaker.
I too like the ToxicFab one he has on the edge of the bench. I made something like that while at my buddy's shop while shooting the breeze. I used a rectangular tube, welded two 1/4" rods as the fork, added some rare earth magnet to inside of the tube so it would grab the steel table. Curved the rods so it would cradle the torch and checked to see if it would not fall if it spun, but still went in and out.
You have a welder now. Have fun making stuff.

jdwertz

Postby jdwertz » Tue Apr 21, 2015 1:46 pm

I was more referring to this bugger:

jdwertz

Postby jdwertz » Tue Apr 21, 2015 1:47 pm

Drill press vise! Didn't know the name for these.

jdwertz

Postby jdwertz » Mon Jun 08, 2015 11:27 am

Next question, back purging with one argon tank. Trying to save a little bit of coin and would like to backpurge and weld with the same tank. I have seen this Y fitting pop up alot:

What do you guys use for your setups?

DrewP
Nickname: TANK

Postby DrewP » Mon Jun 08, 2015 12:37 pm

I have a dual regulator floating around somewhere, or I just plumb up a second bottle. That splitter should work fine though, other than you'd be best off having a second regulator.
"You can educate ignorance, but you can't fix stupid."

squaab99t

Postby squaab99t » Mon Jun 08, 2015 4:49 pm

I use a dual regulator.
http://www.amazon.com/Gentec-196AR-60-6HSP-Dual-Flowmeter-Regulator/dp/B006IEEEQS#
About the same costs as a second bottle and reg, but takes up less room. My buddy does the two bottles. Nice thing about that is you are very unlikely to go empty at the same time.
The splitter would save you money, but you will burn thru the argon faster. I back purge at 3-5 cfh. Torch is more like 15-35 cfh. You would need a way to throttle that back on the purge side.
I also have a 1/4 turn valve on the end to shut off the flow when I stop welding or take a break to reset.

squaab99t

Postby squaab99t » Wed Jun 10, 2015 8:48 am

jdwertz wrote:Next question, back purging with one argon tank. Trying to save a little bit of coin and would like to backpurge and weld with the same tank. I have seen this Y fitting pop up alot:

Does that Y come right off the bottle or post the flow meter?

jdwertz

Postby jdwertz » Wed Jun 10, 2015 11:42 am

squaab99t wrote:
jdwertz wrote:Next question, back purging with one argon tank. Trying to save a little bit of coin and would like to backpurge and weld with the same tank. I have seen this Y fitting pop up alot:

Does that Y come right off the bottle or post the flow meter?

It could work either way. If it came off the bottle you would need two single flow meters, one for the welder and a second flow meter to regulate the gas for back purge. If it came after the flow meter you could measure flow to each port since they have valves.

I ended up purchasing a dual flowmeter from HTP. Their flow meters have a good reputation and come with a 2 year warranty.

http://www.usaweld.com/Dual-Flowmeter-with-Backpurge-p/dualflowmeter.htm

squaab99t

Postby squaab99t » Wed Jun 10, 2015 12:43 pm

I believe the fittings are different sizes so that would drive where you have it in the system.
You went the right way and bought the correct regulator to do a proper job.
Next step is to get a sintered metal filter and tubing and you will be back purging in no time.
Great price on that dual flow meter. No need to be cobbling a bunch of Y and 2 separate regulators at that price.

jdwertz

Postby jdwertz » Wed Jun 10, 2015 12:54 pm

What is the metal filter used for?

squaab99t

Postby squaab99t » Wed Jun 10, 2015 6:43 pm

jdwertz wrote:What is the metal filter used for?

To help disperse the argon more evenly. Don't want the argon just shooting out of the hose like water out of a single point nozzle. Kinda like why you use a gas lens on the torch.
I'll see if I can find a part number or take a pix of what I use. You can also make something. Jody shows some examples in his vids. Heat sink and back purge in one.
IMG_4777.JPG

Sometimes they call the filters mufflers. http://www.mcmaster.com/#sintered-mufflers/=xklz89
The rectangle is a homegrown copper heatsink and back purge. Round copper tubing I worked into a square profile. Drilled pin holes and packed with stainless scouring pad material. Welded a spud to the end to introduce the argon. :yay:

This is my 1/4 turn valve. Festo fittings. :lol:
IMG_4776.JPG

jdwertz

Postby jdwertz » Mon Apr 11, 2016 1:02 pm

Slowly improving. Added these hardtail axle plates to a chopper I am building.

Return to “Random Thoughts”