Anyone have experience with Suburban / Yukon XL?

Post off topic or stuff that otherwise dosen't fit into a specific category here.
DrewP
Nickname: TANK
Number of Saabs currently owned: 1

Anyone have experience with Suburban / Yukon XL?

Postby DrewP » Wed Dec 14, 2011 6:07 pm

I'm considering a long wheelbase Chevy Suburban 2500 / GMC Yukon XL for a tow vehicle, specifically one with the 454 big block and 4x4. I'm looking at the 1993-1999 generation. They are real cheap in my part of the country, running smogged ones for $2k - $3k. No one wants to be stuck with their only car as a 6000 lb truck with a big block.

This would give me room to take people along to the track, and with 3rd row seat removed have room for napping and a dry place to change and rest, etc.

I don't know anybody who has had one in the recent past, but I have worked on a few C2500/K2500 work trucks, they seem pretty rugged and pretty straight-forward. Easy to work on, and GM's electronics seem to have much better self-diagnostic capability than the same generation Ford trucks with the 460. Plus there is no comparable wagon-bodied ford until the Excursion came out, and those are still pretty expensive in comparison, usually start around $6k for the ones with the baby 5.4L V8.

Starting in '96 these got the Vortec 7400 heads and shift-on-the-fly transfer cases, I don't know whether that's a good or bad thing?

Thoughts?
"You can educate ignorance, but you can't fix stupid."

Geoff
Team Turbo Troll Crew
Nickname: Geoff
Number of Saabs currently owned: 6

Re: Anyone have experience with Suburban / Yukon XL?

Postby Geoff » Thu Dec 15, 2011 1:40 pm

I had a '95 Sloburban K1500.
The 350 towed fine when it worked. Most of the time I had problems because the engine was worn and the hydraulic lifters wouldn't stay pumped up so the engine would sputter and die on me while towing.
The transmissions that came with them were no good for towing, they'd overheat all the time. You had to remember to turn off Over Drive before you started towing. I don't know about the 2500 series transmissions.

A mechanic around here has a 454 tow vehicle (forget what the truck is). He likes big engines but he says it's terrible on gas.

Can you find any of the diesel Suburbans for cheap? Do you need the 4x4 in southern CA?

I sold the truck and got a Ford E350 Diesel van instead. Its about the same length, sits five, hauls more, gets 1mpg better towing and 4mpg better with no trailer. The only thing I'd like is a 4x4 option because we get a lot of snow and I live on a private road.
The kind of dirty that doesn't wash off :eyebrows:

DrewP

Postby DrewP » Thu Dec 15, 2011 2:34 pm

Almost no diesel Subs here, and the ones there are run a fair amount more. I will look into if the trans in the 454 is different or not, did your 1500 have 8-lug hubs?

EDIT: 350 Subs and Silverado 1500's got 4L60E transmissions rated to 360lb-ft, 2500's got 4L80E's which are rated to 440lb-ft. I think 2500 series got the beefier trans, axles, and hubs regardless of engine choice, so a 350 engined 2500 might not be too bad. 99's are light anyway.

It looks to me like most people who got the optional 454 also got them in 4x4, I haven't found many 2wd 454's, whether it's a Silverado or Sub.

For as little as I am planning on using it I won't see much benefit from the diesel, especially since out here diesel is usually as expensive or more expensive than low octane gas, it's nuts.

4x4 would be nice if I get into rally-x or go somewhere that's not all the way paved, and might be nice if I ever get things together enough to go on a real ski trip up to Tahoe or whatever, but isn't necessary.

SwedeSport
Number of Saabs currently owned: 5

Postby SwedeSport » Thu Dec 15, 2011 3:30 pm

I have never owned a GM truck of any sort, and the F150 I have now is my first truck. It's my general belief that regardless what truck you get the mileage is going to be shitty. Mine got 10 towing my 900 to Summit Point last year. It might get 12-15 during general driving, and might see as high as 17 on the highway.

My buddy has a 94 F250 with the 7.3 turbo diesel and it gets a flat 14 no matter what its doing. But his theory is that the truck shouldnt use any fuel unless its making you money/ or saving you money.

Diesel is higher than premium around these parts.

It's my belief that they all get shitty mileage, so you might as well base your decision on other factors. Ie., towing capacity, hauling ability (people or cargo) Off road prowess, or you just think it looks cooler than other trucks. Had I taken my own advice I would have gotten a early to mid 90s Ford F350 Crew Cab Dually with 4x4. I settled on a F150 because I thought the fuel would be the issue, only to find I'm now compromising on my trailer choice because of towing limitations.

I like the GM stuff too.
Swedesport Motors, Apparel and Accessories for SAAB Junkies.
Http://Facebook.com/swedesportmotors
Swedesportmotors@gmail.com

Geoff
Team Turbo Troll Crew

Postby Geoff » Thu Dec 15, 2011 3:53 pm

Yeah, I remember pricing out the 4L80E and thinking about transplanting one into an AWD Astro. One of those with a 350 (or a Typhoon engine :hungry: ) would be awesome.

This is what I want
http://sandiego.craigslist.org/nsd/ctd/2753237902.html
If only it was 1/3 the price!

If you got this you might not need a trailer
http://www.cosmicblink.com/e350.htm

There do seem to be some decent deals on Suburbans...

Crazyswede
Team Turbo Troll Crew
Nickname: Mongo
Number of Saabs currently owned: 97

Postby Crazyswede » Thu Dec 15, 2011 4:24 pm

FOR SALE
1972 Unimog 416 high-top cab, 6-speed transmission, front and rear PTO and hydraulics, snorkel, 5 Michelin 14.5x20 tires 80%, 73'200 mi, 1'400 hrs. 14' flat bed with fold down gate and sides, high top bars - no canvas. Front loader with mounting plate, hydraulic push blade-plow, rear winch with hydraulic sprauge. Extra hydraulic tanks, wheel steps, 10 rims, cab mounted work light, cab tilting brackets, new in box tachometer and pyrometer. Military service manuals, $16,000.
Landon Wines , 386-527-8702
Port Orange, FL 32128, USA - Thursday, December 01, 2011 at 12:06 GMT.

I am the 73%

DrewP

Postby DrewP » Thu Dec 15, 2011 4:40 pm

One of the guys at work things I should get an M35 deuce & a half.

SwedeSport wrote:It's my belief that they all get shitty mileage, so you might as well base your decision on other factors.

I share this viewpoint exactly. While a van would be nice, my brother would like something he could haul his motorcycles in, and it'd be nice to not have to use a trailer for that.

One of the guys at work was a Ford tech (one of the cool ones who has the old cars, had a suicide door Continental convertible, and has a Galaxie now) and is helping steer me towards the 'right' Fords to get in terms of ruggedness, but in the same price and year range the mid-90's Chevy stuff seem to have better appointed interiors, and I have some experience working on the engines.

Chevy used speed-density controlled ECM's with a MAP and temp sensor, where Ford used air mass meters, so the Chevy should be a little more tolerant of elevation changes and things not sealing as well as they used to.

My budget is about $2k, that's what I could comfortably get (or trade towards) with our '81 Toyota SR-5 single-cab, 22R engine, 5-speed, 101k original miles. I'm trying to find someone who doesn't want such a huge vehicle to trade me straight up for it to get better mileage and a more manageable size. Fingers crossed.

For example:

http://losangeles.craigslist.org/ant/ct ... 24320.html

http://inlandempire.craigslist.org/cto/2647950894.html

http://sandiego.craigslist.org/csd/cto/2743162408.html

http://santabarbara.craigslist.org/cto/2739437373.html

Geoff
Team Turbo Troll Crew

Postby Geoff » Thu Dec 15, 2011 6:14 pm

For what it's worth, before I bought my van it was used to haul dirtbikes.

Oh, and to answer your question about hub bolts, my '95 Suburban K1500 had 6 bolt wheels.

I love how when someone says "Should I get a Suburban" someone here says. "No, get a Unimog." And someone you work with says "No, get a deuce and a half."

I learned to drive on a deuce and a half.

DrewP

Postby DrewP » Thu Dec 15, 2011 7:40 pm

I need to dig a hole, should I get a shovel?

No, get a Cat 374D....

LOL. I do this myself anyway, no harm, it gets the mind thinking. Why would I buy a 2.5hp Bridgeport vertical knee mill when I can get a used 10hp TREE that just needs new split nuts and the table re-ground for the same price? It never ends.... o_O

99Super
Number of Saabs currently owned: 13

Postby 99Super » Thu Dec 15, 2011 9:50 pm

Generally, I've had F-250's as work trucks, but I just turned in a 2006 3500HD w/ the 8.1l V8 and Allison 1000 6-speed auto. I'm going to miss it!
It never drove as nice as the Fords, but the drivetrain was more than a match for any of the V-10s. The 8.1 Vortec is a stroked and improved 454. Tranny was fantastic. Apparently this setup was used in some U-Haul trucks. Maybe you could find one of those?

Now I'm back to a F-250 w/ 6-speed manual :thumbsdown:

john

Jordan
Site Admin

Postby Jordan » Fri Dec 16, 2011 7:35 am

My neighbor just picked up a really nice one (suburban, early 90s?) CHEAP. They are definately out there but CASH for CLUNKERS did a lot of them in. Like we mentioned in the other thread, trucks definitely have a premium on them, vs. vans. I'm not sure about SUVs..

You've probably seen my 150, and I love it, but it's more than just a hauler and so I compromised a bit out towing capacity for general ease of use. Cheaper gas/ don't have to plug in in the winter/ quieter..etc. My 2wd model with the straight 6, weighs about 4500lbs with me in it according to the dump scale. Brakes are great even towing unassisted with my dolly. F250s I'm sure are even better. You could look for an extended cab with a short bed and cap. Suburban would probably be pretty sweet though.

DrewP

Postby DrewP » Fri Dec 16, 2011 11:50 am

Jordan wrote:You could look for an extended cab with a short bed and cap. Suburban would probably be pretty sweet though.

It'll be this or a big block Sub. Since the 2500's came with the beefy transmission that I won't have to worry about driving across the desert dragging the car along behind it'll either be the big Sub, a Silverado 2500 crew cab or an F250 crew cab.

All of those definitely fall into the cheap category.

Return to “Random Thoughts”