Reproducing Saab Seals

Post off topic or stuff that otherwise dosen't fit into a specific category here.
Hans
Number of Saabs currently owned: 2

Reproducing Saab Seals

Postby Hans » Tue Dec 20, 2011 2:09 pm

I've been looking into reproducing the quarter-window seals for 99/900s. While they are basically a simple "D" bulb-style sponge rubber / vinyl design, when compared to what's on the market, there really isn't anything close to stock (the profile is actually more like a "q" that, presumably, serves to keep water out from the upper edge of the seal, or perhaps it's for wind noise abatement??).

Engineering and tooling looks to be about $1,500; minimum order is 3,000-5,000 feet. It's not like I can do any sort of real market research, but I'm curious to know if, as die-hard 99/900 weirdos, this is something that you would even consider buying? Or are you cheap bastards (like me) who are content to cut open the seal, and slide in an extra inch or so to return them to their original circumference?

I know there are techs and PEs here, so any thoughts on this, as well as getting someone to manufacture an NLA part, are appreciated. :thumbsup:

DrewP
Nickname: TANK
Number of Saabs currently owned: 1

Re: Reproducing Saab Seals

Postby DrewP » Tue Dec 20, 2011 2:29 pm

I = cheap bastard when it comes to things that I can make-well-enough-work.

The C900 rear quarter seals are a little longer than the 99 seals, so even if you start with a 900 seal that's shrunk enough to pull away from the frame in a 900, you still have to snip a little out of it to get it to fit tight in a 99, and there's lots of 900's to pull parts from. This is what I did to my yellow 99, it fits great. Need to find my extra set to do to the white car, I'll post a photo when I get around to it.
"You can educate ignorance, but you can't fix stupid."

SwedeSport
Number of Saabs currently owned: 5

Postby SwedeSport » Tue Dec 20, 2011 3:36 pm

If you lay them out in the sun for a while and then stretch them, you can usually regain the length that was lost. A heat gun works too. Then you just use an adhesive in the corners to hold them in. If you skip the adhesive or use RTV, you can always stretch them again later. I can't say as I have ever had a problem with the door or trunk seals, only the quarter windows.

This works on the insert strips that lock the windshields in place. Well, at least for the black ones on turbo cars. I warm them up with a heat gun and gently pull them. It doesnt take much to get enough to tuck them under the corner pieces and look tidy. My tan 86 900 originally had the chrome strips where the chrome fades off. I got a used lock strip from a turbo, stretched them, and then painted them with Rust-Oleum satin black and they have been holding up for about 3-4 years now.
Swedesport Motors, Apparel and Accessories for SAAB Junkies.
Http://Facebook.com/swedesportmotors
Swedesportmotors@gmail.com

Hans

Postby Hans » Tue Dec 20, 2011 3:38 pm

Drew -- good to know about the difference in length, as the manufacturer would melt the ends together at a c900 length. Do you happen to know whether the 99 seal's profile is exactly the same as the 900? Pics would be good when you get a chance -- thanks!

Jordan
Site Admin
Number of Saabs currently owned: 6

Postby Jordan » Tue Dec 20, 2011 3:52 pm

IIRC, the profiles may have even changed over the years of 99s. The early ones I have/had I remember being a little smaller...and did not seal as well, not to mention are hard as rock . I could poke around and still see if I have them, but I doubt it. I used 900 ones as well.

DrewP

Postby DrewP » Tue Dec 20, 2011 4:33 pm

I think they are smaller profiles, I will try to get a picture, I have to stop by my shop after work today anyway.

Geoff
Team Turbo Troll Crew
Nickname: Geoff

Postby Geoff » Tue Dec 20, 2011 6:21 pm

2dr 99s have a different shape (slightly smaller) rear side window as compared to 3dr cars. I'm pretty sure the 3drs are all the same 99 to 900.
The kind of dirty that doesn't wash off :eyebrows:

DrewP

Postby DrewP » Tue Dec 20, 2011 7:28 pm

Ahh, so that's why I could trim mine to fit.

Jordan
Site Admin

Postby Jordan » Tue Dec 20, 2011 7:51 pm

right, right. profiles might be different still. I always forget about the 3dr 99s for some reason.

saabfan9
Number of Saabs currently owned: 4

Postby saabfan9 » Wed Dec 21, 2011 12:35 am

i need all the seals trunk and door opening (body mounted) seem do-able really need door mounted seals...help

Luke
Site Admin

Postby Luke » Wed Dec 21, 2011 11:14 am

I think its a noble idea, but I doubt the market is there. I can usually stretch them out a bit over my knee and with a little weatherstrip adhesive get them to stay in place pretty well.

Jordan and I were talking about restoring 900's and how the dash is one of the few items that is not available or able to be fixed by conventional means. I wonder what the cost would be have new dashes made? Crack free ones seem to go for $400-$600, so I am wondering if new ones could be made for around that cost?

SwedeSport

Postby SwedeSport » Wed Dec 21, 2011 12:46 pm

I asked about a new replacement dash from saab 10 years ago and was quoted 1200.00 for the part if I got the glove box door too.

There used to be a place that rewrapped muscle car dashes that were unobtainium. I spoke to them and they quoted 6-800 bucks depending how many cracks needed to be fixed.

I say just fill the cracks with epoxy, sand em down and roll on some bedliner. A gallon kit is like 50 bucks and you could probably roll a few dozen dashes with it.

Hans

Postby Hans » Wed Dec 21, 2011 5:54 pm

A guy on Saabnet sent his dash to a professional restorer and paid about $500 or $600, IIRC. The difficulty with restoring them on your own is that you need a vacuum bag system plus the vinyl (which might be difficult to match, if you're going for a strict OEM look). I've also read that the chemicals and prep work can be nasty.

<searches Saabnet>

The company that did the work was Dashboard Restorations. Another one mentioned was Just Dashes, but they are considerably more expensive (~$1,000).

SwedeSport

Postby SwedeSport » Wed Dec 21, 2011 6:06 pm

I think the one I recall talking to was Just Dashes. about 10 years ago.

Return to “Random Thoughts”