When was the last time you saw a 99 on the road?

Post off topic or stuff that otherwise dosen't fit into a specific category here.
Edward
Number of Saabs currently owned: 20

When was the last time you saw a 99 on the road?

Postby Edward » Tue Aug 07, 2012 4:09 pm

I was just thinking about the last time I saw a 99 on the road, and wondered how long it has been for the rest of you. Not including your own 99, or friends car, when was the last the you actually saw a 99 in use? For me, it was in Truckee California late in 2001. I saw a rusted out 79 or 80 cruise by with a couple of grizzled old logger looking guys inside :huh: The last time I spotted one in my area was all the way back in 1993. We were leaving San Antonio International Airport in the families old 74 le when we pulled up on a really nice yellow 73 or 74 LE also leaving the airport.

I think about the doomed 99s in places where no one will buy them, which likely get crushed. The Arkansas EMS comes to mind. Before long, the only ones left will be what the diehards cling to. :-(

hutch
Number of Saabs currently owned: 2

Re: When was the last time you saw a 99 on the road?

Postby hutch » Tue Aug 07, 2012 5:28 pm

I saw what I'm pretty certain was a members former 99 driving around Lancaster PA here a few times this past winter. It was a 5 door tan 99 with black shelby's that had a dent on one door. I forget who owned it but I'm nearly positive it used to belong to someone on here. Anyway I saw it once in my SPG and got a wave and once in the 9-3 and he didn't seem as interested. When I got the wave he was with his kid and I could sort of see the kid get excited that another Saab noticed the car. Maybe I'm grasping at nothing but I thought it was sort of cool so that's how I remember it :P

Other than cars coming/going from a car show it's pretty much only ever been rusty ones at local indies :(

SwedeSport
Number of Saabs currently owned: 5

Postby SwedeSport » Tue Aug 07, 2012 5:31 pm

I passed another C900 on the road the other day... that's becoming a rare occurence anymore.
Swedesport Motors, Apparel and Accessories for SAAB Junkies.
Http://Facebook.com/swedesportmotors
Swedesportmotors@gmail.com

Crazyswede
Team Turbo Troll Crew
Nickname: Mongo
Number of Saabs currently owned: 97

Postby Crazyswede » Tue Aug 07, 2012 5:54 pm

hutch wrote:I saw what I'm pretty certain was a members former 99 driving around Lancaster PA here a few times this past winter. It was a 5 door tan 99 with black shelby's that had a dent on one door. I forget who owned it but I'm nearly positive it used to belong to someone on here. Anyway I saw it once in my SPG and got a wave and once in the 9-3 and he didn't seem as interested. When I got the wave he was with his kid and I could sort of see the kid get excited that another Saab noticed the car. Maybe I'm grasping at nothing but I thought it was sort of cool so that's how I remember it :P

Other than cars coming/going from a car show it's pretty much only ever been rusty ones at local indies :(

Yep, that was my old 78 5 door. Sold it a few years ago for $1500...saw it listed a while ago for $3500 ;) do not think it sold
I am the 73%

Jordan
Site Admin
Number of Saabs currently owned: 6

Postby Jordan » Tue Aug 07, 2012 9:28 pm

Never actually. But I gave a bunch of people that opportunity this week while I've been buzzing around in it.

DeLorean
Number of Saabs currently owned: 9

Postby DeLorean » Tue Aug 07, 2012 9:42 pm

SwedeSport wrote:I passed another C900 on the road the other day... that's becoming a rare occurence anymore.

Yep, seeing a C-900 on the road under it's own power is getting to be rather rare these days. Honestly, I think it's been several MONTHS now since I have seen one.

Last time I saw a 99 "in the wild" was on PA-309, near Allentown headed toward Philly. This was probably around 2002 or 2003... Hell, I was "daily driving" the 99 turbo till it got too damn hot out, and I will again once the heat breaks. I was probably causing several "what the hell's!" every time I drove it.

Come to think of it, I saw a DeLorean "in the wild" just a few months ago. pretty likely THAT is more common than seeing a random 99 on the road today.
Less brake more gas!

Powar

Postby Powar » Wed Aug 08, 2012 8:09 am

I've never seen a 95/96/99 on the road other than the ones I've owned or at conventions or Carlisle.

I get really excited when I see another C900 on the road, even.

dabird
Number of Saabs currently owned: 2

Postby dabird » Wed Aug 08, 2012 9:43 am

the only time i've ever seen a 99 on the road was probably about 7 years ago when i found out someone in my neighborhood had one. I see c900s on a fairly regular basis. in fact a black turbo convertible drove past my house yesterday while i was standing out on the front porch

DrewP
Nickname: TANK
Number of Saabs currently owned: 1

Postby DrewP » Wed Aug 08, 2012 11:12 am

The only 99 I've seen on the road that wasn't owned by someone I know was about a year ago in Hollywood, white late-model notchback.

I only see a C900 every week or two, very unusual here, even with the lack of corrosion and all the eccentrics here.
"You can educate ignorance, but you can't fix stupid."

Geoff
Team Turbo Troll Crew
Nickname: Geoff
Number of Saabs currently owned: 6

Postby Geoff » Wed Aug 08, 2012 1:08 pm

The last one I saw around here was a rusty '78 Turbo that someone was driving around my area in 2003. I saw it a few times. Coincidentally I was driving this '80 99 GLi as a daily driver at the time. http://saabrally.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=2404

Before that I saw a red 99 nearby sometime between 1999 and 2001. I'm almost certain that it was this car: http://saabrally.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=2279
Which Sam recently scored the engine from.

I actually see a few C900s a week in my area of NH. My dad drives one daily. There's even a lady who drives an '86 2dr. Last week within a matter of 15 minutes I saw an SPG with a whaletail with VT plates, then I met up with Cark and saw his super clean '85 900T, and at the alignment shop where we met up there was a guy dropping off a red '87 900T with SPG skirts which had just been converted to '88+ brakes/hubs/etc.

hutch wrote:When I got the wave he was with his kid and I could sort of see the kid get excited that another Saab noticed the car. Maybe I'm grasping at nothing but I thought it was sort of cool so that's how I remember it :P

Back in "old days" there used to be "The SAAB Wave". Simply put; people with SAABs waved to each other. I was that excited kid back in the '80s when people waved at us. That was about when the SAAB Wave faded out. I still do it when I see a C900.
The kind of dirty that doesn't wash off :eyebrows:

SwedeSport

Postby SwedeSport » Wed Aug 08, 2012 1:28 pm

I almost always get the wave when I pass another classic SAAB. Rarely will a driver of a 9000 or any more modern cars even take notice.

I passed a c900 on my way to Luke's about a week ago and got the wave.
Swedesport Motors, Apparel and Accessories for SAAB Junkies.
Http://Facebook.com/swedesportmotors
Swedesportmotors@gmail.com

DrewP
Nickname: TANK

Postby DrewP » Wed Aug 08, 2012 4:14 pm

I wave to other C900 drivers. I get ignored by anyone driving a newer one.

I also do not get the wave from C900 drivers when I'm in my 9-5. If only they knew....
"You can educate ignorance, but you can't fix stupid."

DeLorean
Number of Saabs currently owned: 9

Postby DeLorean » Wed Aug 08, 2012 4:54 pm

Geoff wrote:
Back in "old days" there used to be "The SAAB Wave". Simply put; people with SAABs waved to each other. I was that excited kid back in the '80s when people waved at us. That was about when the SAAB Wave faded out. I still do it when I see a C900.

In Wellsboro PA I received "the saab wave" from a lady in a C-900 convertible, I was in the 99-t - so that does still go on from time to time.
Less brake more gas!

99Super
Number of Saabs currently owned: 13

Postby 99Super » Wed Aug 08, 2012 9:10 pm

I can't think of the last time I saw a 99 in the wild. Probably 4 years ago when my buddy Jack moved to Seattle.

I see several C900s regularly plus random sightings, and a couple of 95/96's fo time to time.

SalemSaab
Nickname: CapitolSAAB

Postby SalemSaab » Wed Aug 08, 2012 9:29 pm

Tons of c900s tooling around here still, not rare at all.

Before my 99, though, i'd only seen 1 in my life. I think I may have seen it around town once, but I only remember seeing it parked @ a house which also had a 900, IIRC. This was probably 4+ years ago.

Daily commuting in such a rare car has me feeling angry at all the lesser humans who drive average mass-produced cars every day .. they get to look at my awesomeness on the road while I have suffer through seeing their Camcords/SUVs/minivans at every stoplight :ranting:
CapitolSAAB - your source in the PNW for SAAB parts & accessories

Return to “Random Thoughts”