My 88 SPG... Driver review

Post off topic or stuff that otherwise dosen't fit into a specific category here.
DeLorean
Number of Saabs currently owned: 9

My 88 SPG... Driver review

Postby DeLorean » Wed Aug 22, 2012 11:07 am

I put over 1000 miles on the SPG in the past 2 weeks, and I am really enjoying the car. I did a nice several hundred mile drive yesterday with a freshly calibrated wideband O2 sensor running the autotune on tuner-studio MS. The tune on the Megasquirt is just right now, and it just about flys on the highway.

I am still running the APC controlled boost, which I backed down just a touch to try and get a little less abrupt initial boost. I think I need a larger turbo if I keep the APC. The TD04 HL-16T makes a LOT of low end torque... and a lot of high end power too. I may need to get the Megasquirt boost control working to try and taper this down a bit, yet allow it to boost out to maximum once the revs get past 4000. It can fairly easily break traction in 3rd at the torque peak at around 2800 RPM's which I'm sure is really bad for a C-900 trans.

Drop the hammer in 5th, at 75 MPH, and the spedo is sitting on the trip reset peg in about 10 seconds. It will significantly out accelerate my 2011 STI on the highway, I think it would probably hang with a GTR in that range :lol: Before that, and after that, no and no, but those Saabs... all about midrange power.

Hey, the trans is holding up for now, and the engine is happy with all this... I am trying my best to save the trans... 268K miles on the shell - I think this trans had an easy driven 80K in a non turbo car, and it's working real nicely still in the SPG.
Less brake more gas!

tweek's Turbos
Number of Saabs currently owned: 3

Re: My 88 SPG... Driver review

Postby tweek's Turbos » Wed Aug 22, 2012 3:39 pm

But does it fly like that metro flies?

Wasn't it like Saabtoberfest 07 that you broke it?

Jordan
Site Admin
Number of Saabs currently owned: 6

Postby Jordan » Wed Aug 22, 2012 7:36 pm

What's the full spec on the car?

I was thinking of using that turbo on my Volvo project as it is the stock "R" turbo so I have all the maps and everything. Stock output is 250hp/260tq.

I was working on a tune for this guys 9000 Aero with a 19T , 3" exhaust and "green giant" injectors. Holy hell that thing is fast.

DeLorean

Postby DeLorean » Thu Aug 30, 2012 10:28 pm

Full spec, I don't even know anymore it's been so long since I built the car. I know this much... it's a 2.0 block, 2.1 head & intake, planed down a little. 3" exhaust to the tail, directly off the turbo. FMIC, turbo is a TD04HL16T - I believe is OE to the volvo S70R. Big injectors, highly tweaked APC with quite a bit of base boost. Spec clutch, holds good. And with proper fueling it does go real well.

tweek, yeah it's been inside since 07. You were right behind me on 476 when it went wrong for like the 6th time and blew the front upper cog off the transmission...

I'd like to get rid of the megasquirt at some point and T5 the car... There are obvious advantages of having 200K mile reliable automotive grade components rather than an odd little electronics kit with a serial port and a DB37 computer connector running the show.

Oh, and it's almost time for it's first oil change. Some of the transmissions have not made it that far, so this ones a good one so far!
Less brake more gas!

Jordan
Site Admin

Postby Jordan » Fri Aug 31, 2012 6:48 am

Is that the car with the equal length header? I remember you driving it around a while ago (I think between transmission 3 and 4) :lol:

DeLorean

Postby DeLorean » Fri Aug 31, 2012 9:28 am

It did have the header, but the flange became... not flat. I could get it planed, but honestly, I like the sound of the standard manifold a lot better.
Less brake more gas!

99Super
Number of Saabs currently owned: 13

Postby 99Super » Sun Sep 16, 2012 10:22 am

DeLorean wrote:
I'd like to get rid of the megasquirt at some point and T5 the car...!

Any thoughts of selling the MegaSquirt when you are done or is it going on another project?
I need to upgrade the FI on the ESPG and I'm to the point where I just want to buy something that already works and only requires some tuning...

John

Jordan
Site Admin

Postby Jordan » Sun Sep 16, 2012 8:00 pm

99Super wrote:Any thoughts of selling the MegaSquirt when you are done or is it going on another project?
I need to upgrade the FI on the ESPG and I'm to the point where I just want to buy something that already works and only requires some tuning...

John

Isn't that T5?
:lol:

Return to “Random Thoughts”