Saab 96/Miata build

Post off topic or stuff that otherwise dosen't fit into a specific category here.
spgftw
Number of Saabs currently owned: 2

Saab 96/Miata build

Postby spgftw » Thu Jan 03, 2013 8:12 pm

I stumbled onto this build today- somebody dropping a Miata drivetrain into a 96.
Madness? or Brilliance?

http://www.miataturbo.net/build-threads-57/miata-drivetrain-saab-96-a-63327/

:thumbsup: :thumbsdown:

DrewP
Nickname: TANK
Number of Saabs currently owned: 1

Re: Saab 96/Miata build

Postby DrewP » Fri Jan 04, 2013 12:19 am

That Hustler guy as an a-hole.

I dig it!
"You can educate ignorance, but you can't fix stupid."

Crazyswede
Team Turbo Troll Crew
Nickname: Mongo
Number of Saabs currently owned: 97

Postby Crazyswede » Fri Jan 04, 2013 7:20 am

I think its a neat idea. I want to build 2 96's...one along the lines of the original Baja competitor with modern improvements for reliability and a second car that would be a t5 2.3 turbo front engine rear drive..or mid engine rear drive dune buggy with long travel front suspension and long travel rear.

/\ this will not happen for quite some time.
I am the 73%

burnsside42
Nickname: Jeff
Number of Saabs currently owned: 6

Postby burnsside42 » Fri Jan 04, 2013 10:08 am

neat idea - will be interesting to see how it pans out.
6 Saab's + 1 Moto Guzzi = needs more time & money!

Geoff
Team Turbo Troll Crew
Nickname: Geoff

Postby Geoff » Fri Jan 04, 2013 1:15 pm

I stayed up way too long last night reading that thread. I think it's a neat use of a longnose. It's too bad he didn't find one with a rusted-out floor though! :lol:
Its pretty neat how the Miata floor fits right in. It will be interesting to see what the ride height ends up looking like. The Miata frame rails stick 2" below the floor of the 96.

I laughed at the comments by the Miata people.
"You ruined one of our rust-free cars!" (as if the car that he's chopping up to put it in, which is 30 years older and much more rare, doesn't matter)
"Those SAAB 96es weren't known for their handling" (ehh... what'd that guy just say?)
"You're totally screwing up the weight balance of the Miata!"

It will be interesting to see it done. The weight is shifted back in the 96 so it's almost all between the wheels. He'll have a lot of free space between the engine and the grille. It probably would have fit better into a bullnose.
The kind of dirty that doesn't wash off :eyebrows:

Geoff
Team Turbo Troll Crew

Postby Geoff » Fri Jan 04, 2013 1:44 pm

Oh, and in the thread the first pictures of a 96 that someone posted were of none other than Puttyus Maximus; post restoration, prior to rally car conversion.

Edward
Number of Saabs currently owned: 20

Postby Edward » Sat Jan 05, 2013 3:48 am

Awesome! I used to have a 91 Miata, and loved that thing. I sold it to my brother, and he wrecked it :censored: I actually bought it back, and contemplated using one my Sonett parts cars to build a RWD Frankensonett. :lol: Having dropped the rear subframe on the Miata, I can see the project being a real possibilty. I even had a spare 1.6 motor, which I sold with the rest of the car when I need the extra cash. Damnit!

Stein
Nickname: Stein

Postby Stein » Mon Feb 04, 2013 10:42 pm

Evening gentlemen,

I see that my project has made the rounds. I've attached a couple of updated photos for you now that the drivetrain has been installed for test fit and it sat on it's own wheels for the first time in many months.

The motor will be turbocharged. Based on my past turbocharged Miata this one will be about 240 WHP. It should move along nicely. I will be fabricating everything including the manifold, downpipe and exhaust. I did this on my previous Miata. Intercooler and radiator ducting installed.

Now, I saw some possible skepticism on whether this project will be completed. I have no doubts that it would be. Here is my most recently completed project. The motor is a built 306 Ford with a T5 transmission and 8.8" Ford IRS rear end. Everything was fabricated by me including front and rear subframes, transmission mount and TIG welded mandrel bent exhaust, among the other myriad of details encountered when undertaking a DIY project such as this. Sorry about the very dusty car. It was a fresh repaint, paint was curing and I haven't sanded and buffed it yet.

Finally, it seems that there was a sore subject about cutting up a rare SAAB. First of all, I had never even seen one before this project was started, let alone driven one. I went to see it with tape measure in hand. After five or six measurements I knew everything would fit. I drove off with the car for the princely sum of $200 along with a dozen fenders, several hoods and trunks, window glass. I figured, how rare could it be when it's only worth $200? So I cut into it. That said, it could possibly attract even more attention to this car so possibly the sacrifice of one could save many.

In any case, thanks for looking.

SwedeSport
Number of Saabs currently owned: 5

Postby SwedeSport » Tue Feb 05, 2013 12:33 am

Interesting project, Keep us posted.
Swedesport Motors, Apparel and Accessories for SAAB Junkies.
Http://Facebook.com/swedesportmotors
Swedesportmotors@gmail.com

Jordan
Site Admin

Postby Jordan » Tue Feb 05, 2013 7:25 am

The fabrication looks top notch. Best of luck on the project, we all know it takes time! You won't find that negativity here....we're all for it :)

Geoff
Team Turbo Troll Crew

Postby Geoff » Wed Feb 06, 2013 4:37 pm

I have to say, this is a pretty cool build. I'd like to see it sometime, too bad you're in Nebraska!

Stein

Postby Stein » Thu Jan 16, 2014 12:04 am

Thought I'd throw up a quick update.

Sandblasted the entire car and epoxy primed.

Bodywork is done. Going to paint next weekend.

Crazyswede
Team Turbo Troll Crew
Nickname: Mongo
Number of Saabs currently owned: 97

Postby Crazyswede » Thu Jan 16, 2014 10:07 am

What brand of epoxy did you use? I am about 90% through blasting my 900 shell and the plan is to coat the whole car in epoxy as a base coat and urethane from there.
I am the 73%

Jordan
Site Admin

Postby Jordan » Thu Jan 16, 2014 11:38 am

I'd recommend "Southern Polyurathanes" epoxy. Its a small company in Georgia, but they make great products that are renowned in the Hot Rod/Restoration world. They also are pretty reasonable. I used them on my 99 and spray and hold up nicely. Just call up and order, their catalog is pretty small, but I used the epoxy, primer and high build stuff.

Stein

Postby Stein » Thu Jan 16, 2014 1:15 pm

To be honest, I'm not sure what epoxy they used. I had the sandblasting company prime it as I didn't want to move it around or let it sit all in bare metal.

Return to “Random Thoughts”