Electric Water Pump Options?

Post off topic or stuff that otherwise dosen't fit into a specific category here.
99Super
Number of Saabs currently owned: 13

Electric Water Pump Options?

Postby 99Super » Tue Nov 26, 2013 12:05 pm

Hey guys,
My local Indy had a 77 99 that he's worked on for a number of years for a customer and when he replaced the water pump a few years ago, got one of the bad ones.
Now both shafts are torn up and neither he nor the owner want to dump a bunch of money into it.
He called me last night to ask about electric options.
I've never run one, but I know several of you out there have installed these.
Any advice? Where to get one? Gotchas?

John

Mezzanine
Number of Saabs currently owned: 4

Re: Electric Water Pump Options?

Postby Mezzanine » Tue Nov 26, 2013 12:27 pm

I've burned up a few of them... Best advice I can offer is if you choose the Davies-Craig EWP, definietly install the optional controller too. The trick is to get them mounted as low as possible on the intake side so they don't run dry.

One day I will be putting a cross flow radiator in, which will solve all the problems with the EWP, allowing you to mount the pump very low on the radiator discharge.

Here is Mark Jeter's guide:http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&frm=1&source=web&cd=4&cad=rja&ved=0CFAQFjAD&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.geocities.ws%2Fsaab99ewp%2Fsaab99ewp.pdf&ei=H9mUUrm1AdHzoASth4C4CA&usg=AFQjCNGlKXt8Hau9G65GKRwKx0B-OPkrSQ&sig2=SerbriBVKq3pl5uxHWly6A&bvm=bv.57155469,d.cGU

C

Crazyswede
Team Turbo Troll Crew
Nickname: Mongo
Number of Saabs currently owned: 97

Postby Crazyswede » Tue Nov 26, 2013 12:28 pm

yep the davies craig unit works well. I had one I installed without the controller and it worked well...the controller should increase the longevity of the pump but mine lasted just fine in the semi use 5 door.
I am the 73%

Jordan
Site Admin
Number of Saabs currently owned: 6

Postby Jordan » Tue Nov 26, 2013 1:36 pm

I have the EWP with the controller in the '71. previously in the '76. No problems thus far, but not a ton of miles either.

Return to “Random Thoughts”