I've gone electric

Post off topic or stuff that otherwise dosen't fit into a specific category here.
spgftw
Number of Saabs currently owned: 2

I've gone electric

Postby spgftw » Mon Jun 09, 2014 4:03 pm

I waited almost 30 years for someone to build a new petrol powered car that could match a 900. I never did find one that measured up.
The future is electric though, and finally these cars are falling into the range where I managed to swing a new car loan. There's a big tax break in the US that makes it possible. I've been supporting a three-Saab fleet for years, and am looking forward to making it only two. Next year, maybe down to one, plus two electrics. It was a tough call, but daily driving multiple 900's is getting more difficult than I can handle as parts and support dwindle (not to mention time & my aging back).

For this car to manage as well as the 900, I'll have to still be driving it in 2033...

Without further ado, here's new & old:
Attachments
leaf2.jpg
leaf2.jpg (170.11 KiB) Viewed 4132 times

Crazyswede
Team Turbo Troll Crew
Nickname: Mongo
Number of Saabs currently owned: 97

Re: I've gone electric

Postby Crazyswede » Mon Jun 09, 2014 4:21 pm

I looked at the Teslas..price is still a little high for me though.
I am the 73%

spgftw

Postby spgftw » Mon Jun 09, 2014 5:09 pm

Crazyswede wrote:I looked at the Teslas..price is still a little high for me though.

Teslas! Yeah those are a little out of my budget. :rolleyes: Sweet cars though if you can afford them.

This tax credit made all the difference. Most years I wouldn't have enough income to claim it, this time maybe I will. It's a BS way to subsidize electric cars though since only middle/upper class can benefit. Anyone poor, retired, or otherwise not pulling a high income can't benefit. This also serves to make small/cheap electric cars impossible to produce, since the people who would want to buy them can't use the credit. A great example is the Mitsubishi iMiev. It's a smaller, cheaper economy version. And it's selling terribly even though it seems to be a decent car at good value after the tax credit: a brand new ride, no gas forever, only $16,000 after credit. :dunno:

Crazyswede
Team Turbo Troll Crew

Postby Crazyswede » Mon Jun 09, 2014 8:27 pm

spgftw wrote:
Crazyswede wrote:I looked at the Teslas..price is still a little high for me though.

Teslas! Yeah those are a little out of my budget. :rolleyes: Sweet cars though if you can afford them.

This tax credit made all the difference. Most years I wouldn't have enough income to claim it, this time maybe I will. It's a BS way to subsidize electric cars though since only middle/upper class can benefit. Anyone poor, retired, or otherwise not pulling a high income can't benefit. This also serves to make small/cheap electric cars impossible to produce, since the people who would want to buy them can't use the credit. A great example is the Mitsubishi iMiev. It's a smaller, cheaper economy version. And it's selling terribly even though it seems to be a decent car at good value after the tax credit: a brand new ride, no gas forever, only $16,000 after credit. :dunno:

How is the range and recharge time?
I am the 73%

spgftw

Postby spgftw » Mon Jun 09, 2014 9:05 pm

I've only done one commute, but so far so good. Should be 80 miles usable range (100 max). That also goes down if using lots of heat or A/C.
It's possible to program climate control to heat/cool the car in advance while plugged in, and also send requests by phone. A million features to sort out.

Recharge time depends on power supply. 20 hours if battery is totally dead and 110V is all you have. 30 minutes to charge 80% at a fast charger. So a wide range there.

Crazyswede
Team Turbo Troll Crew

Postby Crazyswede » Mon Jun 09, 2014 10:49 pm

spgftw wrote:I've only done one commute, but so far so good. Should be 80 miles usable range (100 max). That also goes down if using lots of heat or A/C.
It's possible to program climate control to heat/cool the car in advance while plugged in, and also send requests by phone. A million features to sort out.

Recharge time depends on power supply. 20 hours if battery is totally dead and 110V is all you have. 30 minutes to charge 80% at a fast charger. So a wide range there.

Would love one for a commuter....i have a 4 mile drive...very tough on combustion engines...though at least its 65mph cruise
I am the 73%

airsweden
Number of Saabs currently owned: 0

Postby airsweden » Tue Jun 10, 2014 1:04 am

cool, good choice I think. I want an electric car bigtime. I get to drive the boss's model s on occasion. It is remarkable in many ways. Its reasonably mid-sized looking from the outside but seems gigantic inside. I love that it has a hatch, I think it rivals the 9k in utility while being sporty and slick. I like driving it more than his 911 turbo s.
99 problems but a SAAB ain't 1

Geoff
Team Turbo Troll Crew
Nickname: Geoff
Number of Saabs currently owned: 6

Postby Geoff » Tue Jun 10, 2014 11:56 am

My great grandmother drove an electric car. I don't think she got a tax break though. ;)

She liked it because it was quiet, didn't smell, and she didn't have to use a hand-crank to start it.
The kind of dirty that doesn't wash off :eyebrows:

Sam
Nickname: sambone

Postby Sam » Wed Jun 11, 2014 9:09 am

So what is the driving experience like with the leaf? I have been in hybrids such as the prius but i thought they felt very similar to their non-hybrid counterparts. Is there any difference with pure electric?
There is no such thing as too low or too stiff.

Crazyswede
Team Turbo Troll Crew

Postby Crazyswede » Wed Jun 11, 2014 10:53 am

I did some looking into the tax credit and I see that if you buy an approved car you get a $7500 federal credit...very nice. Not sure what state incentives are.
I am the 73%

spgftw

Postby spgftw » Wed Jun 11, 2014 4:18 pm

Yep, $7500 off is a nice chunk of change. Some states have good incentives too. I found Tesla's site to be the most helpful in researching that (no surprise there). I have to say this Leaf continues to impress. If only the trunk folded flat all the way so I could sleep back there. ;)

Crazyswede
Team Turbo Troll Crew

Postby Crazyswede » Wed Jun 11, 2014 5:49 pm

I see the chevy spark is similarly priced and with similar specs....not a big chevy fan but think its a decent looking car. Will be keeping an eye on these as they continue to develop.
I am the 73%

sjones

Postby sjones » Fri Jun 13, 2014 1:18 am

Geoff wrote:My great grandmother drove an electric car. I don't think she got a tax break though. ;)

She liked it because it was quiet, didn't smell, and she didn't have to use a hand-crank to start it.

Whats old is new again ;-)

Geoff
Team Turbo Troll Crew
Nickname: Geoff
Number of Saabs currently owned: 6

Postby Geoff » Fri Jun 13, 2014 11:36 am

Crazyswede wrote:I see the chevy spark is similarly priced and with similar specs....not a big chevy fan but think its a decent looking car. Will be keeping an eye on these as they continue to develop.

I figured you would have put a deposit on one of these already
http://www.eliomotors.com/
The kind of dirty that doesn't wash off :eyebrows:

Crazyswede
Team Turbo Troll Crew

Postby Crazyswede » Fri Jun 13, 2014 2:34 pm

Geoff wrote:
Crazyswede wrote:I see the chevy spark is similarly priced and with similar specs....not a big chevy fan but think its a decent looking car. Will be keeping an eye on these as they continue to develop.

I figured you would have put a deposit on one of these already
http://www.eliomotors.com/

No but I have been watching the evolution of that vehicle for about 5 years. I find it a little hard to believe that they will sell for $7500...but time will tell. Supposedly they bought an old GM plant and will be assembling them there. Quality and reliability have yet to be seen.
I am the 73%

Return to “Random Thoughts”