Any 9-3/9-5 owners interested in bluetooth audio?

Post off topic or stuff that otherwise dosen't fit into a specific category here.
Blue Jello Rain
Nickname: Aryl
Number of Saabs currently owned: 1

Re: Any 9-3/9-5 owners interested in bluetooth audio?

Postby Blue Jello Rain » Mon Feb 29, 2016 11:37 pm

Wewlads! Got the boards and just put one together.

I talked with one of the designers after I noticed there are 6 ground pins under the RN-52 bluetooth module that can't be soldered, he said don't worry about them. If you could get to them, it might improve range but he's never bothered and it works fine without them.

Very nice boards from OSHpark, makes me feel like my photoresist etching setup was a complete waste of time and money. Soldering it was a fun challenge, the bluetooth module is the most difficult so I cheated a bit with my flux pen. Small chisel tip is a must.

The LEDs are a little confusing as the markings for the cathode and anode are not very clear unless you look up the data sheets.

Anyhow, I'm going to program it tomorrow and tear apart my girlfriends 9-5 to plug it in and see if it works or if it goes up in a puff of magic blue smoke.

I've got two extra boards and three extra cd changer connectors, still want a board and/or connector ajagodnik?

Crazyswede
Team Turbo Troll Crew
Nickname: Mongo
Number of Saabs currently owned: 97

Postby Crazyswede » Tue Mar 01, 2016 8:18 am

I like my teeth white thank you. I don't understand these new body modding trends. stretched ears, piercings galore, now blue teeth. What is the world coming to?
I am the 73%

hutch
Number of Saabs currently owned: 2

Postby hutch » Tue Mar 01, 2016 12:10 pm

I blame the youths!
Blue Jello Rain which PCB version did you order? I hadn't even thought about orientation of the LCDs, I'll have to check that when I'm home. Thats good to hear about the bluetooth chip, I was curious about it as well but figured since there was no good way to solder it without an oven it must be ok.

ajagodnik let me know if you get one/some from Blue Jello Rain, I have an extra version 3.3a PCB and connector if you'd like.

Blue Jello Rain

Postby Blue Jello Rain » Wed Mar 02, 2016 9:13 pm

I got 3.2.

One of the leds has the polarity marker on the back side. Looks like a green "T". The other ones are visible from the top, one side next to where you solder it on is colored.

Still have not programmed it though. Got my 900 torn apart to replace what seems to be the original (Super stretched) timing chain and a bunch of other stuff. No wonder it sounds like it's about to explode...it is.

ajagodnik
Number of Saabs currently owned: 3

Postby ajagodnik » Wed Mar 09, 2016 5:33 am

Hutch, sorry I haven't been on the forum in a couple weeks due to that whole 'life' thing. I haven't gotten to discuss with anyone yet, or do anymore reading about it.

Shoot me a PM for the total for board and connector with your paypal address when you get a moment!
BlueJelloRain, if you still have an extra from your order, let me know!

Thanks!

Blue Jello Rain

Postby Blue Jello Rain » Thu Mar 17, 2016 11:04 pm

Finally got the loom extension and programmed/installed it today.

I'm amazed it worked first try, soldering pins that small (Especially the bluetooth module) was sketchy, super difficult to see if there are any solder bridges.

It works perfectly. Steering wheel buttons work to pause/skip tracks, no ignition noise interference, girlfriend is very happy with it. I'll see what other functions there are in a few days, possibly program in a few custom ones.

Possible issue is the bluetooth module ALWAYS has power, even with car off, the amp draw is so small that it probably won't be an issue.

Return to “Random Thoughts”