Whats Gnu with you?

Post off topic or stuff that otherwise dosen't fit into a specific category here.
Crazyswede
Team Turbo Troll Crew
Nickname: Mongo
Number of Saabs currently owned: 97

Whats Gnu with you?

Postby Crazyswede » Tue Nov 07, 2017 11:13 am

I continue to chug away at my house renovation and now all of my new windows and doors are in. Earlier this fall I had some friends over and we tore off the South facing metal roof, along with the old asphalt shingles and tar paper that was under it. We nailed all the old roof boards in place again and pulled a ton of old nails. We then installed a new layer of 1/2" Zip panels on top of the the old boards and taped all the seams. My dad and I did the drip edge work and all new edge trim as well as installing many rows of Ice and water barrier. We started shingling and currently have about 1/4 of the South facing roof shingled....this is the portion of the roof that has several compounding roof angles and is the trickiest/fussiest portion of the roof to get done. This weekend we hope to get the remaining portion done.

I bought a new Kubota 26hp tractor at the end of the summer and it should be going back to the dealer this week to get a backhoe installed on it. Hoping to have it back in time to do some last minute site work before the ground thoroughly freezes or we get too snowed in to make ground work feasible without creating a mud bog.

Lastly I just got back from a trip to Colorado where I picked up a 1984 Toyota FJ60 Land Cruiser. The truck made it all of the way home without any major issues. I had to replace some heater hoses but found the leaks before they blew out and was able to fix them at a parts store (best place to work is a part store parking lot....if you need something its all right there.)
I am the 73%

DrewP
Nickname: TANK
Number of Saabs currently owned: 1

Re: Whats Gnu with you?

Postby DrewP » Tue Nov 07, 2017 12:50 pm

The lady and I had another very amazing trip to the playa for Burning Man. The summer project was adding a solar electric drive to a "trike-with-a-couch" that we picked up from another burner. It fit in perfectly with my rusty 100 series Land Cruiser that we've been adventuring in.

The yellow race car is still in the garage patiently waiting.

My black 900T rarely gets driven, but I did take my girlfriend to her first ever autocross. Next time I am going to try to get her to drive. She says she's not comfortable enough driving a manual gearbox, so I'll probably rent a little econo car.

This has been a year where I've lost a lot of friends and family. A few have passed but mostly due to people changing workplaces or moving to a new city. It has made me extremely thankful for the wonderful people that I am still connected with, and have been getting to know myself and my goals for the longer term than I had been thinking before.

I've missed all of you, and am glad to see the site back up!

This is our trike on playa. Not me driving in this shot.

"You can educate ignorance, but you can't fix stupid."

Crazyswede
Team Turbo Troll Crew

Postby Crazyswede » Tue Nov 07, 2017 3:52 pm

A neighbor of mine in Vermont has been out to the Burning Man a few times and he had a golf cart he built to look like a buffalo. He just moved to Oregon and I dont have any pictures but it was pretty funny.
I am the 73%

99Super
Number of Saabs currently owned: 13

Postby 99Super » Wed Nov 08, 2017 4:20 pm

Did a couple of hillclimbs this summer, another track day at ORP, bought a 88 325Is.
Mostly, I've been travelling for work or family, so not much else got done this year!

squaab99t
Number of Saabs currently owned: 4

Postby squaab99t » Sun Nov 19, 2017 11:23 pm

Seems like the year has flown by... One very memorable was witnessing the solar eclipse in Central Oregon in totality. My wife who is a astronomy buff said we had to be in the totality path. She was right, it was awesome and even impressed the 6 year old. Been working on what I eat and exercise for the last year. One of the best investment you can make is in your health. Working hard and saving all my life, don't want to screw the pooch now.
Car-wise, not much. Been just driving the c900 science project. All seems to be going well, but I plan on replacing the ECU with a unit that is 12 years newer in hardware and software. AEM Infinity ECU is the next project. I started on some of the hardware upgrades. I needed a new cam sync since my turbo truss displaced the distributor where I was getting a Hall signal. I have been running wasted spark for the time being, but time to step up to sequential. Actually wasted spark at 7k rpms for dwell and for energy required on the exhaust stroke is really no big drama.
So here is the plan; Cam sync off the nose of the cam where the distributor use to key. I will cut one of the ears off and add a new Hall to detect position of the cam.
Cam still needs to be modified
P1160447.JPG

P1160444.jpg

While I was hacking up the cam cover, I took the opportunity to add an oil fill port in case I ever use a gearbox without the dipstick/filler. aka 4 speed case. Welding aluminum casting is always a bitch.
IMG_2763.JPG

IMG_2764.JPG

If you celebrate, Happy Thanksgiving everyone.

99Super
Number of Saabs currently owned: 13

Postby 99Super » Mon Nov 20, 2017 10:32 am

Dennis,
Did you get any good photos of the eclipse?
Deb and I went to Stanley, ID for the eclipse, had a bit over 2 min if totality...
Ring2.jpg

Crazyswede
Team Turbo Troll Crew

Postby Crazyswede » Mon Nov 20, 2017 2:59 pm

Picture from my last road trip

I am the 73%

squaab99t
Number of Saabs currently owned: 4

Postby squaab99t » Mon Nov 20, 2017 11:53 pm

John, I can declare I did not get any great image on film or digital. All part of the personal memory storage.

Crazyswede
Team Turbo Troll Crew

Postby Crazyswede » Wed Jan 10, 2018 4:59 pm

I am the 73%

Return to “Random Thoughts”