Binky, the Econoline 350

Post off topic or stuff that otherwise dosen't fit into a specific category here.
99Super
Number of Saabs currently owned: 13

Binky, the Econoline 350

Postby 99Super » Tue Jul 31, 2018 9:09 pm

I wasn't looking for this, but came across it on an auction site. I bid on it and won!
It's a 1992 Econoline 350, cargo, 7.3L IDI Diesel w/ only 56,000 miles.
Deb immediately named it Binky.
4 Wheel Drive conversion is a Dana 60 and Borg-Warner transfer case from an F-350 from Anderson AWD in Oklahoma.
BinkyFRSm.jpg

It has RV seats in front and an air-ride truck seat in the back. It had a police-style computer stand next to the back seat. W/ the roof mounted antennas and the black boxes that were still inside it, well, I don't know what it was. I got it from the Idaho National Laboratory 2 months ago and It came with a Government 'title'. My friends keep asking me if it glows :rolleyes:
BinkyRRSm.jpg

When I showed up to get it, the glow plug controller wasn't working and it wouldn't start. The batteries were getting weak from sitting so long so I gave it quick shot of ether and it fired right up! Drove it 250 miles home w/ no problems.
I already replaced the glow plugs and connectors, changed fuel filters and got the A/C fixed.
The walls are filled w/ spray foam and covered w/ corrugated plastic sheet. The doors only make a muffled thump when closed.
I plan to sell off the RV seats, put the KAB air-ride seat in the driver's spot, and find some cushy, heated seat w/ a swivel base, for Deb.
It should make a great tow-rig for Frank!
I also salvaged a push bar/winch mount and a Ramsey 9000 winch from an F-350. Installing that is next!
That makes 3 E-350s (2 w/ 4wd) just on my block! :lol:

hutch
Number of Saabs currently owned: 2

Re: Binky, the Econoline 350

Postby hutch » Wed Aug 01, 2018 11:32 am

Definitely needs a 9-5 Aero seat for comfort!

Crazyswede
Team Turbo Troll Crew
Nickname: Mongo
Number of Saabs currently owned: 97

Postby Crazyswede » Wed Aug 01, 2018 12:57 pm

or some 9-5 heated/ventilated seats for the passenger
I am the 73%

DrewP
Nickname: TANK
Number of Saabs currently owned: 1

Postby DrewP » Wed Aug 01, 2018 5:21 pm

That is one badass surveillance van! Very sweet, you got a killer deal.
"You can educate ignorance, but you can't fix stupid."

99Super

Postby 99Super » Thu Aug 02, 2018 9:26 am

Killer deal for sure! I only paid $6500! I've already been offered near that for the engine!
I think I'll drop by Michael's (the local Indy) and see if he has any nice 9-5 seats. I already have a swivel base I was going to use in the Astro.

Eventually, I'll drive down to CA and pick up a fiberglass hi-top for it to camper it out. I'm too poor for a Sportmobile pop-up.

swmeatball
Number of Saabs currently owned: 0

Postby swmeatball » Fri Nov 02, 2018 10:07 am

What a smoking deal! I watched one of those with 250k go for $9800 recently, which auction site? I've got a '97 with the 5.4l gas motor, the mileage is murder, what does the diesel get?

99Super

Postby 99Super » Fri Nov 02, 2018 12:20 pm

The website is bid4assets.com
They have lots of weird stuff. Mostly govt/tax properties, but some seem to be normal auction items, like gemstones.
I was actually looking for a 79 Crown Supercoach that was supposed to come up for sale, but never materialized.

In mixed mountain (35-55 mph)/highway use (75-80 mph), I've been getting 12.5-13. I've been as high as 16 on low-speed (60-65), flat highways.
I'm happy w/ that, I just have to keep my foot out of it.

Trying to figure out how to mount a single-bank turbo, ala 9-5 V6.

Also, I found a "Chef's CombiWagon" pop-up top for it. Looks similar to a Westy, but has hard sides. $100 from the local scrapper. : )
I plan to install it over the winter, but I need to get my SPG gone so I can work under my carport.

John

99Super

Postby 99Super » Wed Oct 02, 2019 4:55 pm

As prep for my 'move' to Bend, I finished the pop-up on Binky back in July.

I still need some work on the interior (Power, lighting, bed, galley), but the pop-up, floor and seats are finished. New wheels too...

binky_up.jpg
binky_up.jpg (218.39 KiB) Viewed 4834 times

Binky_dn.jpg
Binky_dn.jpg (227.94 KiB) Viewed 4834 times

The top also got 4 fresh coats of heavy alkyd paint and a new seal.

I had to pull the old factory mirrors after a F-350 went over the dbbl yellow and we smacked mirrors. The guy didn't even stop.
It really only broke the mirror glass (and the side window!), and they are still available NOS...for $200+!!
Turns out Binky was pre-wired for power mirrors, so I got these and the switch/bezel from the same junkyard as the top. $35.
The glass was $20 and the new tint was $20.

The KAB seat rocks! When you hit a bump, the van moves around you while you sit steady. An odd sensation at first!

Crazyswede
Team Turbo Troll Crew
Nickname: Mongo
Number of Saabs currently owned: 97

Postby Crazyswede » Mon Oct 07, 2019 11:02 am

"Move" to Bend?
I am the 73%

99Super

Postby 99Super » Wed Oct 09, 2019 9:48 am

Hey Seth!

Yeah, my old job was going a whole lot of nowhere. More and more responsibility, no increase in pay. : P

I took a job as an Electronics Technician in Bend. It came w/ a promotion and career ladder (Yay!) I take care of the data instrumentation/telemetry on dams, reservoir and canals.
Our main office is still in Boise but this is a tiny, remote field office. My boss (and his boss) have only a general idea about what I do so they stay out of my way.

I bought a little condo a few blocks from my office and commute back to Boise on the weekends and holidays. Depending on which car I drive, it's about a 4.5 to 5 hour drive (320 mi, 2 lanes, 11 traffic lights) each way. The 9000T gets me down to 4.5 (or less : ), the NA 9K or BMW is 4.75, Binky is full on 5 hours. Weeks like next week (with a holiday), I stay in Boise all week.

Bend is pretty expensive, and I'm going to start Air BNB or VRBO'ing the second bed/bath on the weeks/weekends while I'm gone to help defray costs.

The cats still live in Boise ; )

John

Return to “Random Thoughts”